Members only...?

Support & site news.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Members only...?

Post by dillpops »

I was thinking, we have over 300 members yet on average only about 20 of us post regularly. How can we solve this problem?? It would be great to get more active fans.

Merri, do you think that if we made some or all of the board members only (like you have to register to see the posts) it would mean more members/more active members?

It would give people more incentive to join...? We have a lot of lurkers....
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

I think that the problem would be the same: more people would join to see the posts, but never actually post.

I don't have any better ideias for this problem, though. :knockout:
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

But maybe if they joined they'd be more inclined to post...? I remember after Maaya's concert in the US we got an influx of people posting....even though they only said "I went. It was great. Ha ha" sometimes. But it was more active...
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

There is no considerable amount of lurking visitors. We have far more random visitors than actual lurkers. Forcing registration has only two effects: people either register to lurk if they bother, the rest who don't bother go away. End effect: nothing really changes and less people find the place as even search engines can't index anything interesting from the site.

Personally I hate forums that require registration to be able to even read some posts to see what the place is like. I rarely register to forums which don't allow to see beforehand some of the goodies. If I know I can something that I really want to have, then I might register, but I also forget about the place.

As a btw, downloading attachments is already disabled for guests, so uploaded images and other files do require registration.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I see, yeah, you're right.
moro

Post by moro »

I know also some people and friends of mine who also liking Maaya Sakamoto and would write. I can ask them to join in here. :roll:
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

I think it's personal preference, the only fourms I like to visit and write is this one, and the other forums which is mostly technical / gaming.

The ones whom writes here are die-hard fans XD

But one thing I know, fluent japanese fans dont understand, and feels different here. Maybe some are conservative not to mix with us. Especially if they are younger than 20 years of age. The west and east doesn't evolve in the same time length. The west is more open, more mature, rather than the east, we have many customs many idealistic, many rather different beliefs. I guess it tends to create barriers.

The ones here I observe have been watching japanese animation, animes, dramas, and listen to songs. But mostly have an english media background. Curiosity wins over conservativeness.

Even if I'm with my common people, I mix with international people more than my own people does. I always felt like a wanderer, so I guess I don't belong to any country.

I know I talk a lot of trash, but honestly we cant change what others think about posting. Just perhaps accept what they think and let they do what they want.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

The reason is that Maaya just isn't active enough. The only method that would work is if she was really active, especially outside of Japan. Actually I'd say mainly outside of Japan, or at least something that appealed to a huge audience outside of it. Heck even the Yoko Kanno forum is DEAD. I mean really dead.
If you have any poo, better fling it now.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Which basically results into the conclusion that we'd need something more here besides Maaya, some of which we do have (the generic rooms on music and stuff), but that is an area where is a lot of competition on other forums already. And I don't see a reason to start competing with major forums that are generalized on Japanese music.

My original idea with the forum was internationalization (love this word!), because there was no point in limiting only to English. It hasn't gone as well as I originally planned, but in the other hand, we do have some Asian visitors who don't speak much English, but still apparently visit every now and then.

For a more lively forum we'd need about five new registrations each day. Our current rate is something like one new registration every five days ^_^
真綾~の~ファン

Post by 真綾~の~ファン »

Hmm... Well, guess the admin has a point there. Anyway, keep up the good work!
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I think it's fine as is. We get news when she's doing stuff and archive her past activity. It doesn't have to be a lively hub as long as people check back when Maaya news crops up.
If you have any poo, better fling it now.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

"Break some barriers, and things will overflow." Quote that on me! XD

Maybe we could share more of our common interest here, well need to generalize them first. Stuffs like dating, gaming, gossips, sports are best as something to talk about.

Personally I liked to venture more onto the lyrics, and further down the story into our own understanding. Well sometimes not to over credit the original song writers, but the perception on which we may see it nor feel it differently is what counts.

What you will gain? honestly the skill of writing and understanding words better. Literally to learn new skills out from the common education system that we usually have to go through. Perfect for those whom wanted to write a script / make a story book / articles later in life. Creating such environment from a young age to explore the minds of a true writer.

Still, I have to get the pure injection of Wisdom from everyone out there if to produce something legendary, and worth to be read. It has to start somewhere. Here, could be the best starting place.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Seems we're pretty lively lately...
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Yeah. I learned this when I tried to make forums for barely-active artists like Rie fu etc. If the artist isn't active a lot, the fans aren't either (because there's nothing to discuss). But I agree with dillpops and misssakura, it seems to be doing fine as it is, people check back when there's news, which is good enough IMO.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Things are lively enough that I keep up with my responsibility to keep the forum online :)

Besides, what it'd do with the domain if I didn't have this forum? Start a the brilliant green fan forum in this domain? Not going to happen!