Studying languages

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Sora

RE: Studying languages

Post by Sora »

If someone is interested, I would be happy to help him/her learning some French ^___^ (it's a so complicated language x___X)

Just ask for it (if you just want to learn something special, ask too^^) and I'll see what I can do for you ^_~
Sora

Post by Sora »

Spanish is my second foreign language :)
I could try to write something... I really need practice ^_^;;;
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Oh, I envy you :cry:
When I was a student we only had to study one foreign language, (I'm not sure if today is the same :roll :) and that was English.
I started to study French 3 years ago, but I didn't last long, three or four weeks, because I started to work. Maybe when I'll have an stable job, I'd start again. Or maybe I'll learn Japanase :roll:.

If you want to practice Spanish, you can talk with me whenever you want :)

As you all may notice, I need to practice my English :lol:
Sora

Post by Sora »

Thank you ^_^

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but in France we have to learn 2 foreign languages, starting in middle high school (but now some primary schools teach English to their students !!! O___O I would have loved to learn English earlier ;_ ;)

If you choose a literary form (once in high school, you have the choice between scientific, literary, engineer / technological sciences, medico-social sciences, economic and social...), you can even learn a third foreign language..! *___*
My sister who has taken a literary "baccalaur
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

I remember that I had to study Latin in the second year of secondary. The people who later chosed a literary form (in the third and last year of secondary) had to study Ancient Greek.

I think the "study career" of our different countries is a very interesting topic, but it is going too off-topic, and Merri could tell us off :P
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

If it is offtopic, I can always split it! So yeah, now we have a topic exclusively for talking about this matter :D

We get our first foreign language, English, in the third class. Some schools start with Swedish though. Then at seventh class we get Swedish and also possibility to choose more languages (I guess you can pick another language like German or French as an extra subject in fifth class or so, I have a foggy memory - shirenu knows better). So I should know two other languages by now, but my Swedish skills are worse than my Japanese skills... :roll:

Anyways, possibilities depend a lot on the school and area you're in. In bigger cities it is much easier to study other languages earlier.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Noinini

Post by Noinini »

In Austria, we start learning English in first grade (though I only started learning in third grade) of elementary school. Then it depends on the sort of school you go to. My school offered a more language-stressed curriculum, so I learned French for six years and Latin for four years. Then there were elective classes like Italian, Russian, Spanish and so on, but I didn't take any of those.
And, as I was actually born in Croatia, I also speak (Serbo-)Croatian, though I forgot a whole lot of it (such a shame, as it is my first language, actually).

I'd like to learn Japanese or Korean, but it takes up so much time and I'd also like to keep my other language skills alive, sort of (considering that my French and my Serbocroatian suck major time). I also want to improve my English. So much work! >.<
keldo

Post by keldo »

I took French for 4 years in high school, forget all of it now and never used it. The choices were either French or Spanish, or you could take a computer class and that counted as a language (...). Kinda hard to get any immersion when really no one speaks anything but English within a couple thousand miles of you.

You guys (and gals!) all have really good English skills for a second language. If you didn't state specifically, it would be hard to tell it wasn't your first. I'm double checking everything just so I don't look like a bozo, since it is my first.
shirenu

Post by shirenu »

...It may vary a bit in bigger cities and special schools but this is how studying languages in Finland pretty much works:
3rd grade - English
5th grade - German (optional)
7th grade - Swedish
7th/8th grade (I can't remember :| ) - French (optional)

In high school you can also start French, German, Spanish, Russian and Latin, depending on your school. Oh and since Swedish is the second official language in Finland, there are also schools where Swedish is the main language... I think. :roll:

Besides English and Swedish I've also studied German... My German is pretty bad, though. XD
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

It was also possible to stydy Spanish starting at 7th or 8th grade. I didn't take it as I'm lazy when it comes to extra stuff taking my time :roll:
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Tenson

Langs!

Post by Tenson »

Uff, Spain is a very complex country so, regarding official languages, in Spain we have FIVE official languages :? (but not in all places at the same time, thanks God! :s ight face :) .
Spanish is the official language for all the country, but in some regions there is also a co-official language.
In the Autonomous Region of Catalu
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

:maayagrin: Hi!

Now that I'm watching Azumanga I'm curious about the curriculum japanese people have to follow from child to university.
It seems that they have to pass 3 years of high school and then make an exam to be admitted in some university.
But before that?

I also had to pass 3 years of high school, but the people who wanted to became universitary had to pass another extra year, before make the access exam. Before that 3 years I had to pass 8 years of school, the only obligatory studies (in that years, now there is obligatory primary school and obligatory secondary school).