Suggestion

Support & site news.
Tenson

Suggestion

Post by Tenson »

Hello all!
I'm going to make a suggestion I've been thinking about the last days but, lazy as I am, I haven't posted before :P

As we all have read, sometimes Merri surprise us with new changes in Maayas.net; and sometimes people disagree or don't like that changes.
As I can see in other forums, is possible to make an "invisible" subforum in which admins, mods and collaborators can discuss about the way of rule the forum or site, make suggestions and so.
Maybe there's no need for an invisible subforum, but would be fine to count with other opinions when changing things or adding new ones. I thing that to count with mods opinions would be good.
And i think that mods could help Merri in taking care of Maayas. He have to rule a few forums. :3

About moderators, in some places they are directly selected by admins, in other places they are selected by users, and in others there is an hybrid selection method. What do you think about that? Are you agree with actual forum mods?
And which are moderator duties, by the way?

Greetings! :maayagrin:
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

I understand nothing at all XD

For me the forum is great. It looks good and work well.
Sora

Re: Suggestion

Post by Sora »

[quote="Tenson"]Hello all!
I'm going to make a suggestion I've been thinking about the last days but, lazy as I am, I haven't posted before :P

As we all have read, sometimes Merri surprise us with new changes in Maayas.net; and sometimes people disagree or don't like that changes.
As I can see in other forums, is possible to make an "invisible" subforum in which admins, mods and collaborators can discuss about the way of rule the forum or site, make suggestions and so.
Maybe there's no need for an invisible subforum, but would be fine to count with other opinions when changing things or adding new ones. I thing that to count with mods opinions would be good.[/quote]
I agree with Ten-kun^^
I would like to know (and also be able to give my opinion) before Merri makes any important change to the forum :s

[quote="Tenson"]And i think that mods could help Merri in taking care of Maayas. He have to rule a few forums. :3[/quote]
Well, all I have ever wanted is helping..! \(^o^)/

[quote="Tenson"]About moderators, in some places they are directly selected by admins, in other places they are selected by users, and in others there is an hybrid selection method. What do you think about that? Are you agree with actual forum mods?[/quote]
Maybe an hybrid selection would be the fairest ; this way users can choose someone they trust in and administrators can still give their advices :)

By the way, I was wondering how did Merri choose the moderators..? I asked him myself if I could become one, but as for the others, I don't know ; did you ask him too or did he choose by himself ? o.o (I wonder why Chibi hasn't been chosen o_O he is an active member and top poster o_O ?)

[quote="Tenson"]And which are moderator duties, by the way?[/quote]
I wonder too what is our real duties... and if there is a real need of 6 people for the job..? o_O;
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

There isn't a real need for six moderators but Merri needs people who can be in every language forum and just moniter things etc. Plus people just need to be around to make sure things run smoothly when merri isn't here ^^ and we're all in different timezones so we look at the forums at different times. We can be here when others aren't around ^^

Makes sense. A moderator:

- makes sure forum rules are followed
- keeps the peace
- deals with troublemakers
- helps share important site information
- helps members with forum problems

Etc. ^^
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

This forum is too small to be elitist as far as mods are concerned, we're such a small community anyway if you say only mods (for example) can make choices you're excluding a small group of others.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Yeah...there's actually nothing for us to do... :?

But sometimes if there are too many people debating about something it takes longer to reach a decision. Maybe in those situations it would be fine to have mods making the choice. or even Merri making the choice with his almighty hammer of administration :lol:
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Well like I said there aren't really that many people..and just because somebody is a mod doesn't necessarily make them an expert on what is right for the site..not that I care, as long as everything is up and running i'm fine :lol:
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The current moderator status are just there, which I gave to people I know to care about the place; atleast to the point they don't want to do anything to ruin the place :) Also a multilanguage skill is pretty much a must-have and I only know two languages well myself, which is the reason to have a bigger number of mods.

The moderator tactics I've found to be the best:
- select people you think you can trust and that seem to be interested about the place
- if there are a lot of moderators and forums, ask from the mods for an opinion for a good moderator
- and one thing I haven't done here: ask if a person wants to be a moderator

If this was my only forum, I'd try to do everything The Best Possible Way. Though I've seen things do happen even if they're not done the best possible way, everything is ok as long as I don't do anything really badly several times in a row. I can't keep up the quality line constantly everywhere.

To get back to topic, by giving moderator status to some interested people I've also strengthened community spirit (in my other forums). Meaning, by having some people who stay there in the background for years, you have continuity and a backbone to keep things running. You need new people every now and then to keep discussions fresh and alive though. We get a new member after every five days by avarage, which isn't all that much, knowing that only about 10% of registered members stay very active, active or somewhat active (and some more in the background who just read the forum). By not letting users to decide or volunteer I've made sure I've had nearly no problems on the moderator side and ensured some people to have a lengthened "loyalty" and interest to the forum.

Tenson, Sora: Important changes are hard to decide of; it depends on what people judge to be important. I've seen that often what I know to be an important change isn't all that important to others and what I give a smaller value seems to be of huge importance to others. So importance isn't a good factor or word to use.

At the moment I'm still in the point that it is best for me to do things immediately when I have the interest, because otherwise it is likely to be left undone. Sometimes I wished I could do just simple solutions and didn't need to think all the time if I've done right or wrong and so on. The current way keeps me depressed. Thinking too much.

misssakura: I don't like elitism and I've tried to keep it away from all my forums. This forum is so small that I haven't really done much of anything to control the rules and so on. I guess I've once stated not to curse as people have been pretty wise to know not to do that. Keeping things open for everyone (reasonable) is a good way to keep as many happy as possible. There are enough elitist forums already and I rather host a friendly and content based forum than an inside circle of people who are mean to others.

Another topic that came to my mind of this is that I don't like corruption either: everyone must follow the rules and that includes me as well. This means that in certain situatations a mod or even a normal user can be right about something.

I could soon write a comprehensive guide on thoughts about right and wrong.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Don't get me wrong i think this forum works really well. I don't even see people as mods and non-mods. I think we have a great deal of equality here even with newer members which is quite rare. I'm just saying if there was a special forum or something that would promote elitism...=)
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

About counting with other opinions when changing things or adding new ones, I suggested that because I like to avoid disagreements. Some people feel that forum as something important for them and would like to be part of its "growth", and sometimes they don't like what Maayas.net have or doesn't have.
Anyway, I know that is impossible to always satisfy everybody, so I don't mind to keep things as they are now, with Merri making changes at her own discretion :)

I still would like to have a place where admin and mods could coordinate behaviors, ask for advice and raise doubts. I don't like when the fate of posts and threads depends of which mod find it first :S
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

it would be cool if moderators could post invisible grouped comments on the topic instead of having a forum to decide whether stuff should be deleted or not XD