Wiki: Call To Arms!

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

Wiki: Call To Arms!

Post by Merri »

It is the time you choose your weapon, the All Mighty Keyboard, look for a subject and type like if it was the last day of the world![/size]

Wiki needs you![/size]

So yeah, practically looking for help. I've done a few pages now, simplified the general syntax (sorry Tenson, using tabled HTML is too messy and hard to update) so there are some samples one can take a look at. It can be just one page to do, it'll help.

Currently the pages that are the most important to do: There is no sample for the roles page, so if someone starts filling it, I might change the syntax and appearance later on. For the album pages, you can find several samples:

http://maayas.net/wiki/Yuunagi_Loop
http://maayas.net/wiki/Shounen_Alice
http://maayas.net/wiki/Grapefruit
http://maayas.net/wiki/Primary_Days

I haven't coordinated my own edits, I tend to do whatever happens to feel worth of doing. You can do that as well.

Styling[/size]
Some general help and information:
  • use <big>...</big> to enlarge text
  • use <small>...</small> to shrink text
  • use ''...'' to do italic
  • use '''...''' to do bold (using '''''...''''' will do bold italic)
  • use : at the start of the line to indent text
  • use ==Big Header== for main subheaders; you get smaller headers with more = characters
  • images: [[Image:Filename.jpg|Name of the image]] or [[Image:Filename.jpg|right|Name of the image]] or [[Image:Filename.jpg|left|thumb|Name of the image]]
  • use ;Small header : Detailed description to list a lot of listlike items (see Events page).
  • use [http://url.here URL here] to link to other sites
  • use [[Maaya Sakamoto]] to link to other pages
  • use [[Maaya Sakamoto|Maaya]] to link to other pages using a custom word in the link
Japanese or English page names?[/size]
After a while of pondering, I ended up choosing this kind of system:
  • Album names, single names, events in English or Romaji
  • Song names in Japanese/original format; if the song name is in English and there is or will be a conflicting page with the same name, use 「 and 」 in the song name (see Primary Days for a sample)
  • People names in western format, ie. Maaya Sakamoto and Yoko Kanno
  • No CAPS in page names, ie. we use "Loop" not "LOOP". We do use the somewhat general way of capitalizing each word of the song, ie. "Another Grey Day in the Big Blue World" not "another grey day in the big blue world". The only place we can use the original names as they are is in the "Original title" portion in the song's page.
  • Unless a certain other style have become common, we use the longer formatting for lengthened romaji: ie. Yuunagi Loop, not Yunagi Loop or Shounen Alice not Shonen Alice. One major exception is Yoko Kanno (would be Youko Kanno). We use Yoko because it is clearly the most used format everywhere.
  • If the romaji is an English word or name, we use the English format (ie. Shounen Alice not Shounen Arisu).
The rules/guidelines are still a bit open. I'm trying to find a generally good format that matches up with both the clean style used in western cd and song names (in the MP3 tags etc.) and something that is clear to follow. You're welcome to give feedback on my decisions as I'm using the method that has grown to me over years and what I personally find a good and a clear way. Tell me if you find something that requires attention or if there is something clearly wrong in this. I know well that there is no 100% correct way to write Japanese using romaji, but in the wiki we must have a some kind of standard.

Long post...
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
chrono

Post by chrono »

I filled in Lucy -- My first Wiki submission ever ^^ I might have to do more later.

I would have to say that your guidelines for romaji are very good. I actually follow them for the most part already XD I was copying Shounen Alice's format when I did this, so I didn't want to deviate; but instead of Rule ~ Iroasenai Hibi, I probably normally would have used Rule ~iroasenai hibi~, and instead of Watashi wa Oka no Ue kara Kabin wo Nageru I would have used Watashi wa oka no ue kara kabin wo nageru; not that it's a huge difference hehe
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Isn't it Iro Asenai and not Iroasenai? Atleast Google gives much more results for the separate version, including some major lyrics sites. You have some small glitches (to my eye) such as writing Life is Good in two different ways. However thanks for helping :)
Tenson

Re: Wiki: Call To Arms!

Post by Tenson »

[quote="Merri"]I've done a few pages now, simplified the general syntax (sorry Tenson, using tabled HTML is too messy and hard to update) so there are some samples one can take a look at.[/quote]

Don't worry about that :)
I hope to work again in our Wiki one of these days :3
chrono

Post by chrono »

[quote="Merri"]Isn't it Iro Asenai and not Iroasenai? Atleast Google gives much more results for the separate version, including some major lyrics sites.[/quote]
Iro may be a word by itself sometimes, but in this case it's combined with aseru to form one word (at least that's what the dictionary implies). Another possible romanization is iro-asenai, but I chose not to, seeing as track 7 of Yuunagi Loop was romanized as Tsuki to Hashirinagara (instead of hashiri-nagara).

[quote="merri"]You have some small glitches (to my eye) such as writing Life is Good in two different ways. However thanks for helping :) [/quote]
If you check the official site, it appears as Life is good. For the "romanized" version, I used the guidelines that you layed out above.

If you see any other possible problems, do let me know :)
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

[quote="chrono"] instead of Rule ~ Iroasenai Hibi, I probably normally would have used Rule ~iroasenai hibi~[/quote]

It's actually "Rule ~Iro Asenai Hibi," because that's how it's written in the liner notes. Do you own the actual CD? There's only one '~' :)
chrono

Post by chrono »

I own the actual CD, but I didn't think to check if it had romaji. Guess I'll have to go with that then hehe
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

If you take a look at the Yuunagi Loop page, I didn't use "a happy ending" but "A Happy Ending": in English and thus better to write as they'd be commonly written in an English CD :) Atleast to me the Japanese style of using complete CAPS or nocaps seemingly randomly in song names looks horrible. Thus I'd like to see a unique style for all English/romaji titles in the wiki.
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

[quote="Merri"]If you take a look at the Yuunagi Loop page, I didn't use "a happy ending" but "A Happy Ending": in English and thus better to write as they'd be commonly written in an English CD :) Atleast to me the Japanese style of using complete CAPS or nocaps seemingly randomly in song names looks horrible. [/quote]

I completely agree!! I always correct the allcaps/nocaps versions of songs because it just looks weird. I'm glad someone agrees. XD
chrono

Post by chrono »

[quote="Merri"]Atleast to me the Japanese style of using complete CAPS or nocaps seemingly randomly in song names looks horrible.[/quote]
Fixed! Once again, thank you for the feedback ^^
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I've updated the Discography page with much more content, but I'm sure it still isn't 100% complete. Likely to miss some "recent" releases and maybe some older as well. Also, I haven't added the single list at the moment of writing this post. Might do that.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I need a more complete list of the songs. So, I guess there are some Japanese lists of Maaya's all songs? I found this: http://www.geocities.jp/nanashi417/Data/VIP012.html - but I'm pretty sure it isn't a complete list. There is also http://www.robin.nu/maaya/index.php?Song but it seems to only list the available lyrics. My own old list of all Maaya songs is outdated.
charp

Post by charp »

hiho, long time no see everyone.

hmm, i guess i can volunteer to do the roles page, since i have most of the available information on hand already.

how complete does it need to be? just anime/radio roles or including voiceover for foreign shows and live action/theater too?
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The target is to make the wiki as complete as is possible, so if you feel like adding the voice overs etc. some day, it is ok :)
Shiny

Post by Shiny »

Ow, ow, ow, ow...
I created pages for Dive, Easy Listening and Hotchpotch and I would be thankful if someone checked them for errors, because I propbably messed something up :oops:
- For Easy Listening, the official site gave all the titles in romanji... I was pretty surprised, especiallly considering that the album's title was spelled out in kana.. o_O
- For Dive, I figured "(Album ver.)" should not be part of the page's title so that both the link on the album page and the single page lead to the same place.
- For Hotchpotch, should we use Purachina, Platina or Platinum? I used Platina because it's the form I'm most used to...