Screwing up with the database :/

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

Screwing up with the database :/

Post by Merri »

I was clearing up the database as I had tons of tables that weren't in use after doing some cleanup on old web folders, testing stuff and so on. Well, I had been working on a phpBB MOD before, called phpBB Site. In the database, maayas.net's forum tables were using the name maayas_ -> while removing stuff I thought these weren't worth anything, I made a conclusion maayas_ tables were the tables for phpBB Site and completely forgot about having maayas.net in the current service provider, so I removed the tables.

A big mistake.[/size]

Sorry to everyone for deleting all the posts and registrations from the past month. I've restored the database from a month back situatation.

If anything is good about this, atleast we didn't lose everything.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Sora

Post by Sora »

Tell me it's not true... please... it isn't true, isn't..? It's just a nightmare and I'm going to wake up soon and find back all the messages about "Kaze Machi JETTO" and so on right..?

Don't you have a back up more recent..???? Please, tell me you have one T________________________________T

What about all the people who had registered over the past month..? Is there a way to send a common apologize email or something..?? There really isn't any way to recover all that was lost..??? No way ??? Never ever ??? é___________________________è

Dispair~~~ T-T
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

You can see how despaired I am :/

And in the past month we did the most edits ever within a month and we lost wiki too -_-

This is kind of what you get when you don't want to pay tons of extra for having several databases... I have only one database and it has about 200 tables. If I could have more databases, there would be no reason to clear individual tables.

Edit
Oh, and I could've asked to restore the database, but I'm quite sure they'd ask quite a bit of extra money for doing that.
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="Merri"]Edit
Oh, and I could've asked to restore the database, but I'm quite sure they'd ask quite a bit of extra money for doing that.[/quote]
How much do you think it would be..?

You know, I'm sure some of us would be more than willing to give some money if it could help running this place... I don't think it's fair for you to pay and take care of all on your own..! (I don't know how works a paypal account, but can it work as a sort of donation place to collect money to help paying for the webhosting..?)

If it's ok with you, I would really like to have details on how much you spend for Maaya's every month (or is it per year ?), like domain name, hosting... any extra..?
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

hu~
well...about what shorara said...here in brasil, in the biggest anime forum, they make administration rotation....like...4 people as adm, paying and administration stuff...then time to time it is changed....people vote or whatever...
i think its a good idea..most of people wanna the forum healthy...so i guess they would help
"Missing someone doesnt mean you are apart but that one day you were together"
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Sora... if you want to make the Kazemachi Jet lyrics thread again and post the kanji and romaji (which are on the wiki in case you lost your copies), I'll post the translation again. It can also be a combination lyrics & discussion thread, combining the discussion thread dillpops made.

wah, I'm sad that stuff is gone but we can rebuild it up again. :)
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

[quote="Merri"]
Oh, and I could've asked to restore the database, but I'm quite sure they'd ask quite a bit of extra money for doing that.[/quote]

On my host they don't delete anything permanently, maybe yours is the same and they'll just help you out. Wouldn't hurt to ask, if its too expensive then say no :)
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

[quote="Sora"]If it's ok with you, I would really like to have details on how much you spend for Maaya's every month (or is it per year ?), like domain name, hosting... any extra..?[/quote]

Starting next year it'll be 40 euros for just having the domain name. The webspace and database come from the main merri.net account (which is what makes 24 euros/year of the 40 euros). I actually want to keep the place free for everyone else (free of ads and no money paid). I've been rather stubborn on this, especially because moving even small amount of money internationally tends to cost a lot.

But... to compensate the damage, I guess I should spend more time on the site. Rework all I can that got lost and do some new things that really help the site itself to improve and become valuable.

So, what should we have on a music site that has focus on only one artist? If we started to expand the site and more people takes actively part on creating stuff and in turn we'd get more visitors, we might get a better reason for collecting a bit of money to do things better and broader (eventually the site would also cost more if things started to really roll). At the moment I see the site as a small nice hobby site, but that's pretty much what it is worth. And that's why I see only I should pay for it, because it is just my hobby.
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="Merri"]Starting next year it'll be 40 euros for just having the domain name. The webspace and database come from the main merri.net account (which is what makes 24 euros/year of the 40 euros). I actually want to keep the place free for everyone else (free of ads and no money paid). I've been rather stubborn on this, especially because moving even small amount of money internationally tends to cost a lot. [/quote]
Really ? Usually my bank charges me 1 or 2 € more when I buy something abroad... it's not that much, especially if it can help ; I was not saying that everyone should pay a bit when registering or anything like that, I just think that if some people want to help (giving some money for example), they should be able to do so...

With more money you can get a better host or more options (like those back-ups for example) !

[quote="Merri"]At the moment I see the site as a small nice hobby site, but that's pretty much what it is worth. And that's why I see only I should pay for it, because it is just my hobby.[/quote]
It is not just your hobby ; I mean, I care for this website too (and I don't think I'm the only one) and not only as a hobby... I wouldn't mind at all giving some money for it or getting more responsabilites ; after all, it was Pippa and I's idea at the very beginning, so this place is quite special for me too... I don't see it as a kind of burden at all, I'm really willing to help and be more than a simple poster (or moderator) so if there's any way I can help, apart of simply posting, I would gladly do so...
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

[quote="Sora"][quote="Merri"]At the moment I see the site as a small nice hobby site, but that's pretty much what it is worth. And that's why I see only I should pay for it, because it is just my hobby.[/quote]
It is not just your hobby ; I mean, I care for this website too (and I don't think I'm the only one) and not only as a hobby... I wouldn't mind at all giving some money for it or getting more responsabilites ; after all, it was Pippa and I's idea at the very beginning, so this place is quite special for me too... I don't see it as a kind of burden at all, I'm really willing to help and be more than a simple poster (or moderator) so if there's any way I can help, apart of simply posting, I would gladly do so...[/quote]
+1
I completly agree with Sora-chan