Downtime last weekend

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

Downtime last weekend

Post by Merri »

I wasn't at home for the past week. Something happened during that week which lead to the computer serving the sites being totally stuck and I needed to do a hard shutdown to get it back up again.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

No worries, and thanks for the work you put into this place. :)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

yay!! thanks for fixing it merri!
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The other fixes as summary:
  • My IP changed, so it took about 24 extra hours for it to update globally after I got the computer fixed, so the site was inaccessible for some time (0 to 24 hours depending on how fast your local Domain Name Server was updated).
  • Posts weren't possible to read due to database error/corruption. Fixed by emptying the problematic table.
  • Logging in wasn't possible due to database table being locked. Repair fixed it.
  • Forum software was updated to latest version.
The site should now work as normal from everywhere :)
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

There will be further downtimes in the next couple of hours and probably tomorrow too: I'm moving the files into a dedicated machine so everything doesn't run on the same computer that I use for playing games etc.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Well, the move was delayed but it has now been done. The only problem that remains is that I'm waiting for more memory to the new server computer, at the moment it runs with only 256 MB which causes some additional delays. Hopefully I get the memory today, if not, it'll have to wait for Monday or maybe even Tuesday, depending on when the order was posted.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Didn't get the memory yet so responses may occasionally be very slow during the next weekend.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

This is where you are[/size]

This is what is hidden behind[/size]

And when you open it...[/size]

As for changes I've now setup the computer to automatically fix itself as much as it can. There are still some stability issues that remain, I'm not sure whether those have been due to overheating or if the current memory is corrupt.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I've started to get Blue Screens of Death that don't automatically restart the machine. The good thing: I have the ability to search for help. The bad thing: the computer must be reset manually each time it crashes so all the other stuff I've prepared doesn't help at all :/
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Ok, the problem is now solved. Sygate's firewall wasn't anymore compatible with the latest avast! and NetLimiter. Solution: get rid of avast! and NetLimiter.
mike_s_6

Post by mike_s_6 »

That is hard core, the server is yours! I outsource the server for my site (but it also gives me tons of headaches).
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The server now runs with 2 GB of memory. This caused additional problems (surprise suprise!) with the integrated nVidia's display adapter that uses the system memory, so I had to disable it and install a separate display adapter to the AGP slot to get it all working again.

Boy do I feel silly having a separate display adapter in a server machine!

But now it all works for the least :)
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I noticed uploading didn't work with the new server, so I fixed that.

Also, I moved /files/ folder to be inaccessible because:

1) Some people add the files to their playlist BUT don't download the files to their own computer! This means each time they listen to a song they download it from my computer.

2) The files are being hotlinked from other sites without any permission asked from me. There are MP3 search engines and Flash players for example that do this.

I just don't have the bandwidth to share the files to non-forumers.

You can ask for a file list via PM. I know some of the files that have been uploaded aren't available at all anymore, even if I have them.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

There were a few downtimes, I installed Windows XP SP3 that was released yesterday. Everything seems to be running OK for now :)