Server downtime 16th – 18th March

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

Server downtime 16th – 18th March

Post by Merri »

The past two days the server was down for an unexpected maintenance. I played with a few settings which I shouldn't have, and an old program I ran broke the Windows registry causing the server's Windows to be fully unusable. Also, for my unluck, I couldn't find the Windows installation CD.

As this was a totally unplanned reinstall I had to quickly choose one of the existing partitions to use: I did not have a spare hard drive and the ones within the server all had data that couldn't be moved elsewhere. I ended up installing into a partition that had had Vista two years ago that I had not completely removed. You can guess correctly that this ended up giving me trouble with permissions, hidden inaccessible would-be-system folders etc.

Anyways, after two days of struggle on my free time I got the server back up and running with a fresh installation of Windows. I still have things to configure here and there, but the sites are running which is the most important thing.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Another (somewhat planned) downtime: I made a major home network change moving webserver features to another machine. This dropped the site for some 8 hours while I worked to get things working. Currently running on a laptop with a nearly dead battery.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

There is/was a minor additional downtime today as I added a new LAN USB adapter to the server (it had only one port before), which in turn meant that I got a new IP address because the wireless adapter was no longer used for the internet connection. It takes up to 24 hours to update all the DNS servers worldwide to recognize the changed IP address, most often it takes just a few hours for most people to be able to access the site.