Can't create accounts?

Support & site news.
frecklegirl

Can't create accounts?

Post by frecklegirl »

http://community.livejournal.com/mameshiba/72653.html So someone posted this in the Maaya LJ community, and mentioned they can never seem to make an account here. Could an admin look into it and see if it is a problem? If it is, we need to fix it so we can have new members!
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Unfortunatenaly I had to ban Gmail due to so many spam bots coming with that e-mail address, and it is practically impossible to detect a bot just by looking at the e-mail.

Basically I'd need to take a look at another kind of spam protection as the CAPTCHA does not work (the one I had earlier got figured out a few months ago).
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
LennStar

Post by LennStar »

No captcha works, cause the spamers find ways to let humans guess it.

You could use a simple question like
"4 dogs and 8 cats are chasing each other, but the 8 cats would like to chase 3 birds.
How many 4-legged animals are there?" [enter number]

But that is problematic, as this is not english-only forum.
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

How about reCAPTCHA?
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

We can just have a question like "What letter appears three times in Maaya Sakamoto's first/given name?" and the answer is "a." That's what we have at another forum I'm on and it's worked perfectly. Also, this is still a mostly English forum (the non-English parts aren't very active at all), where I'm pretty sure everyone registers in English, and it's a simple question.

(What we have on the other forums is: "Which letter appears in 'apple' twice?" And then in the textbox is "a" automatically, which you have to change to "p." Trips the spambots up every time. So we'd have to make the textbox have "m" by default, which you'd have to change to "a.")
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

Now I understand. I was wondering why I couldn't register with my gmail account. Well, good luck with solving this problem! frecklegirl's last post sounds like a neat idea. :]
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I now have a very simple & known-to-be-effective solution to the registration problem. Also, e-mail activation is turned off which means registering is now easier than ever. Gmail is no longer banned.

If the spam bots figure out how to get in it is very easy for me to change the access code (which is just SAKAMOTO atm).
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Whoa, I never thought someone would be so desperate they'd try manual advertising...

Just forget about it, it isn't worth it on this site.