Co-operation between sites

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

Co-operation between sites

Post by Merri »

I'll just open this as an open question: should there be co-operation between (English?) Maaya sites and if so, what kind of co-operation that should be? Which sites should be included? And what about social sites such as Facebook & Twitter?
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
frecklegirl

RE: Co-operation between sites

Post by frecklegirl »

What do you mean by "cooperation"?
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Yes, could you elaborate a little...?
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I guess there are many ways and I didn't really think anything specific while writing that. Things I list here are just some thoughts on possibilities.

One of the easier ways would be to link between sites so that it is easy to move from one site to another. We already have people getting through via links, but here it mostly means links in signatures and on most other sites a "links" page or similar, if there is any. This isn't very high value though, but it would help people find and move between sites more conveniently.

A step further down would be to go as far as "feeling" of the entire thing and could even mean changing to same or similar design and switching between sites would be like navigating a single site. I don't have much faith on this kind of thing though, but just pulling it off as a possible idea. I guess everybody wants to keep their own site as much "theirs" as possible.

One other way would be to just share information between sites in an automated fashion, ie. there could be a segment here that would list a few happening on other Maaya sites, like news, blog postings etc. and the same could be on other sites. The downside of this is that this requires some technical setup that not that many are able to do and some sites are hosted on limited services.

With Facebook and/or Twitter there could be a shared account where a few persons can write new happenings and keep others informed on what is happening on their site. It is more work than an automated system, but could possibly gain much more attention even from those Maaya fans that aren't as dedicated fans. So it is a "everybody wins" possiblity.

(It of course may be I used a bit wrong word for this, but I guess the contents of this message should get the idea around.)
Last edited by Merri on 2011-02-10 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

This sounds like a solution, but I can't tell if the problem has been adequately specified. So I'm going to ask a stupid question: What problem is this cooperation intended to solve?
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I guess the community is simply somewhat fragmented, if one wants to find a problem. This forum for example seems to have a lot of core Maaya fans, people who rank Maaya as #1 or very close to it, and a couple of more random posters.

Of course that isn't a problem unless it is made one. I did spend a small while thinking whether to post the thread or not in the first place, but thought there is nothing to lose. Pushing some little activity around should never do any harm :)

I don't show it often, but I'm constantly thinking on developments and what would be best. I've even spent some time thinking "what if I'd give the forum to someone else?" – but only because most of the time I don't have time and/or energy to spare for this site. So partially this thread is an end result of this kind of thinking as well.
Last edited by Merri on 2011-02-10 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I'm not surfing a lot on others Maaya sites, and only when a link is given here.
I assume all Maaya informations are posted here, and so I don't need anything more ;)

But adding permanent links to the translation sites (Delta, Frecklegirl and Dilly) could be great.
:angel: Life is on Maayas, and the posts are hope and promise... :angel:
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

We could make a sticky 'Maaya links' resource topic in the main forum...?
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Oh, that would be dull. How about valuable & unskippable Maaya links? :D

I'll let someone else to get started with it, but as a forethought I think the thread should be strictly on-topic, meaning any message not about the links (adding new, fixing old) or general talk about the linked sites should be removed if any appears into it.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

Merri wrote: I guess the community is simply somewhat fragmented, if one wants to find a problem.
A very true and perhaps unavoidable result. To be frank, if you like Maaya and want to be part of the fan community, where exactly do you go? Here? The forums on jpopmusic.com? last.fm? iLike? One of the many fake Maaya Sakamoto pages on Facebook? Each of these caters to different groups. As you said:
Merri wrote: This forum for example seems to have a lot of core Maaya fans, people who rank Maaya as #1 or very close to it, and a couple of more random posters.
So Maaya's is for the core fans. Which is a very good thing. It's important to have a place for the die-hards to hang out. But not everyone is at that level, ergo fragmentation.

Rather than creating the One Maaya Site to Rule Them All, can we aggregate what's out there with a gateway site that pulls content from all the major Maaya sites? If you break it down, there are four levels you can go after:
  1. Basic Maaya info: discography, lyrics, major voice acting roles; info for things generally accessible to those outside of Japan. Link to sites like maayasakamoto.net, Nostalgic Lavender, ANN, etc. Maybe pull in the latest maayadaily Tumblr feed for some pretty pictures.
  2. Detailed Maaya info: for the more serious fan, news, interviews, etc. Should be doable with a merge of the RSS feeds from dillpops and myself.
  3. Light interaction: show shouts from last.fm (there's an API for this), scrape comments from other sites, display tweets for #maaya (almost all in Japanese, last I checked).
  4. Heavy interaction: feed of top 5 or so recently active topics at Maaya's (is this possible, Merri?), links to relevant threads at jpopmusic.com.
Theoretically this could all fit on a single page, like a giant box of Maaya goodness, with the basic idea being if you go there, you'll know what's going on in the Maayaverse. (Maayaverse is available as a domain name, by the way.)

Thoughts?
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

It's rather plain but www.tokyograph.com has quite a neat interface which has not only the news at the top but also blog feeds and the latest forum posts. And it has the left hand links column as well which we could make to feed into the wiki pages...?

An idea for the front page of Maaya's if spruced up a bit perhaps...?