Forum (MyBB) updates

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

Forum (MyBB) updates

Post by Merri »

Spent a little time to finally upgrade the forums from 1.6.2 to the latest 1.6.4. I did overwrite a couple graphics by mistake so there will eventually be less brown, going back to the normal blue MyBB theme.

Everything else should work like before :)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Merri
Posting Freak

RE: Forum (MyBB) updates

Post by Merri »

Updated to 1.6.6 - went smoothly, hoping to see no issues to arise :)
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Want to try to do, seasonal coloring templates for the webbie?

Kinda like when it's snowing there, the theme changed to snow and such :3

if it works automatically, that will be cool too XD

rounded edges too in these boxes.. pretty looks good with those whom reads in the i-pad, iphone.. I'm still on microsoft tho.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

God, these automated spam bots are pissing me off.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Just to let you know (and let myself remember) that I've updated to 1.6.8
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Updated to 1.6.9. A high risk security vulnerability was patched in this version as well as a medium risk CAPTCHA issue that potentially let bots to brute force their way in.
ct760ster

Post by ct760ster »

Just wondering if implementing the latest version of reCAPTCHA in myBB may make this site more resistant to bot registering users and spam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReCAPTCHA#Security

;)
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

I had an idea on how to avoid ghost accounts, like say if you've identified certain account as ghosts (bots), just change their password to some random number and email re-trivial to some random email.

Just some nbtd things :3
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

I had an idea on how to avoid ghost accounts, like say if you've identified certain account as ghosts (bots), just change their password to some random number and email re-trivial to some random email.

Just some nbtd things :3
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

in the place where I was working, been observing that these bots actually did not have any owners in the first place. They just was deployed and left behind, automatically scanning the internet for forums and trying to create lots of dummy accounts until the database is too big and eventually becomes inefficient.

my job was to clean up that mess, but when it comes to the database.. it was just a lot of hassle, it would be just easier to remove the accounts being made then placing back only the accounts that frequently posts here on this forum (the regulars), then with the new added security, recaptcha or we can make a few page quiz about general knowledge of Maaya's songs (like what was she popular for etc) so that the bots could never understand nor could guess, unless the person registering was indeed a fan)

Might need to tinker into the php a little, like customizing it. Usually that will works.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

MyBB version is now 1.6.10. This update had a lot of changes so I hope nothing has broken.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

The update seems to fix my problem :)

Thanks! and cheers! :D
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I have changed the spam protection methods in use. We no longer have a CAPTCHA because CAPTCHA never works. Instead we now have some lovely registration questions related to Maaya-sama. I tried to keep them cryptical enough for any bot to guess them right, but easy enough for any Maaya fan to answer them right.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Removed 1300 spam users. Yeah, you read that right. Also probably removed some real users, but it is quite a task to go through every single user with thought.

I sent mail to every user as a reminder of this forum's existence and I hope we see some more activity in the nearest future! Maaya is still going strong :)
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

Thanks, Merri!