AX Show

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Maaya's singing has even improved compared to the Shounen Alice Unplugged, and I was knocked out by that performance. I think being in Les Miserables has been such a boost to Maaya's. Not only do they have to do really vigourous training but you have to be able to sing consitantly for a long time i.e. the whole performance as well as be able to back people up and sing in a chourus.

I think Maaya's improved 10 fold ^^

Also, part of the problem that someone stated about Maaya not moving around much etc. is included in the reasons people state above, but also, it probably looks even more odd because Maaya usually has an entire backing band on her tours. So she might have been a little thrown by missing that support. Even emotional support...
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Letter bring to light her singing is generally terrible....she sounds gorgeous when she sings quieter though which is why I personally feel she is more of a studio artist than a performing artist.
charp

Post by charp »

[quote="slippy"]I was really happy to see two memorable concerts over otherwise the worst Anime Expo I've been to.[/quote]

LOL.

i'm glad to see someone feels the same way.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="misssakura"]Letter bring to light her singing is generally terrible....she sounds gorgeous when she sings quieter though which is why I personally feel she is more of a studio artist than a performing artist.[/quote]

You're back!...if you ever went anywhere 0_o

Even if she does sound better as a studio artist, I'd rather she did concerts in the USA which I still can't get to than no concerts at all. I'd prefer a concert DVD more than no concerts at all.

The Les Miserables performance sounds AWESOME though, I hated LtBtL, the music was just boring. But Les Mis. was wonderful *__* especially "On My Own" she's really learnt to bring the power out with all her training.

I'd rather she still did concerts :)
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I'm replying this topic a bit late, sorry :)

and... I'm quite agreeing with neopeius :roll:

I have always said Maaya has the best voice anybody could ever heard on this little planet
But I never said she sing well... errr
In fact she can do it :)

But I know many artist which are very good musician and boring performers. And indeed she has almost never played live, compared to any others singer who would have begin his/her carreer in 1996 too.
While on stage, you have just one take to make the perfect sound. It's a very difficult work, even more when you're used to record 50 times a part to take the best. And just 5 concerts per year isn't a training at all for such a discipline...

well, as usual, I'm not sure to make me understable with my post, just flooding :)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="J
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Between October 2005 and January 2006 Maaya will be performing 17 Les Miserables performances and 6 fanclub concerts. And she'll be doing the USA concert soon.

That's 23 shows in four months. Double the Les Mis performances to include the last half of the years schedule, add in the convenvention performance and you get around 45 concerts give or take a few a year.

She's been doing this for three years now so add it up even more ^^ that's more than a 100 shows!

I just looked it up and worked it out. So :P

Edit: Sorry to get so worked up about this but it annoys me because she IS diciplined. And if you don't believe me listen to that horrid, horrid, horrid, horrid 1996/7 (thereabouts) performance of "Poketto kara ni shite" and compared to that concert rip.

If she was daunted on the stage then that can be down to a number of factors but she sounded incredible. If she's not entertaining on stage then fine but to call her undiciplined or an unseasoned performer is just nuts because she has all the experience. She just needs to use it.

Maaya hasn't sung those songs properly for years, none of us have the vocal range we had in our teens (people's vocal ranges can change in a short period, example a) Ayumi Hamasaki going from nasal squeaky-ness to low vibrato in a four year period) You guys are supposed to know about these things because you're the musical people. Ten years have gone by since she recorded those songs in a studio! Ten years next April!!!!!!!!! Cut her some slack.

Madonna, Cliff Richard, Bono, Elton John, Meatloaf, Bon Jovi - they can't sing what they did early in their careers to the best of their talent. Bon Jovi can't hit the notes he did ten years ago. Bono definately can't. Again, examples.

Oh, what the hell am I saying? >_< I'm just rambling.

Sorry. No offense to anyone. I'm just trying to make a point. Or whatever.

I'm just defending Maaya's honour
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

XD there there dilly, its okay...

And uhm yeah I moved to new zealand so I had lots of stuff to sort out...i'm available now, sorted, woo. Maaayyyaaa! :evil:
Sora

Post by Sora »

"boring performer" ??? OH GOD !! I can't believe it !!

Stop judging Maaya on only one performance please ><
As I said, it was her very first performance so far from Japan, she was very tired and surely very stressed thinking she had to do all well for a first performance in US and don't forget the crazy fans proposing her XD

After listening to all the live performances I could find from her and searching in all pictures I have, I can say that I'm sure Maaya sounds a lot better while in her country. And I'm not only thinking about her singing, but her acting on stage ! Take a look at those pictures from her last tour (March 2004) ; you can't tell me she doesn't know how to move and entertain the audience, and just stay in the middle of the scene doing nothing but singing.

If I was Maaya, maybe I would just be the same ; very shy and stressed performing in front of an unknown audience, but dancing and singing freely when in front of my usual fans. Plus she usually has a band performing with her, some musicians from it following her on each tour, so I'm sure she feels a lot more confortable in a well known atmosphere. (hope my English is ok ><; ;)

Like Pippa said, don't forget the BIG detail that is Les Mis
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Ahh Maaya looks so gorgeous in those pics sora...
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Some of my favourite pictures EVER *_* I love live pictures, Maaya has cool outfits too!

EDIT: Look what some reasearch has uncovered and I've added to the list:

1997/1998 "Mizuiro Jindai" Musical
1999 "ANGEL TOUCH" Musical
2001 "BANGARE"
2002 "LETTER ~bring to light" Musical
2003 "Les Miserables" Musical Two location seasons
2004 "Les Miserables" Musical Tokyo Seasons
2005/6 "Les Miserables" December/January 17 shows
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I wish i had all those pictures as a4 prints : ( or even a5

they'd look so gorgeous as a series on my wall *sigh*
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

[quote="Sora"]Take a look at those pictures from her last tour (March 2004)[/quote]

I would say that Maaya looks like a funny clown, but I won't say such a thing. I don't wanna face huge post by her fanatics defending Maaya's cloth tastes. :P :lol: :lol:
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="Tenson"][quote="Sora"]Take a look at those pictures from her last tour (March 2004)[/quote]

I would say that Maaya looks like a funny clown, but I won't say such a thing. I don't wanna face huge post by her fanatics defending Maaya's cloth tastes. :P :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Meow.

Yes. Because clothes affect her career JUST as much as her singing or personality or stage persona does. Don't be silly. As if clothes matter. Anyway, we all know Maaya's a geek at heart, she can wear cosplay if she wants and I'd still want to go to the concert :P

As I said: nose, snot, boogers. I'd still want to see her live.

miissakura I printed them out on photo paper as A5 and they still look really nice. I'm sure they'd work. They'd look great on a wall.

EDIT: Maybe I'll make this post huge just to continue the trend!
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Oh yes continue the trend ^^
I love the way she dress, and I want this photo too :D

Print....print....print....