Anime Expo convention report

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Sora

Post by Sora »

kanae wrote:
if you search a bit, there is a link to dld the mp3 of the concert, so you can juge yourself
Thanks I found the link of the audio's concert.......by the way
is there any chance that we have the opportunity
to watch the concert in the forum some day in the future????
(i mean someone who could post a file of the AX concert
so we could download it???)
I don't think so because all was strictly forbidden (camera, recorder and all...) ; we are already VERY lucky that some fans defied the laws to record the sound^^;;;
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Therax

Post by Therax »

News flash!

Transcript available on MaayaWiki!

http://maayas.net/wiki/AX2005_Focus_Panel

First post updated.

url update as I changed it a bit -Merri
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Thank you Therax - love you for taking the time to do this for us!!

After reading the transcript I have come to a conclusion:

My Japanese teacher has ruined me for life. Now because of her teaching everytime I read the questions that used "anata" to Maaya I cringed and thought: "why? WHY!" Why did she do this to me? :cry: I am irritated by them now because she drilled us so many times not to say "anata"!!

Maaya is adorable...
Therax

Post by Therax »

And she was right a million times. Every time that idiot in the audience said "anata," it made me cringe and want to leap up and tear his throat out.

"Anata" is familiar, intimate, and entirely inappropriate to use with someone you've never met before.

If you're familiar with German, it was like having someone walk up to the microphone and immediatley start using "du" instead of "Sie." It was the mark of someone totally out of touch with the subtleties of the language.

Just FYI, in this situation, He was in far, far better shape addressing her as "Sakamoto-san," and should have continued doing so for the duration of his interaction with her. "Sakamoto-sensei" would be even better, expressing respect for her work and seniority in the field.

So go back and thank your Japanese teacher. She didn't ruin you; she taught you well.
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

[quote="Therax"]
"Anata" is familiar, intimate, and entirely inappropriate to use with someone you've never met before.
[/quote]

I do not totally agree with you
Every time I have met people of the music business, waiting for them after a show for example, the talk was very friendly, and when I talked in a language with familiar forms (like french or german) I always naturaly used them...

But I was not at the AX, and I don't know how was the mood of every body... Just to say that if I were there, I could have used anata too ^^;;;

(actually, I used a lot of anata in the letter I've send to maaya-chan for her birthday, and it was validate by my Japanese teacher before I send it)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="Therax"]
If you're familiar with German, it was like having someone walk up to the microphone and immediatley start using "du" instead of "Sie." It was the mark of someone totally out of touch with the subtleties of the language.
.[/quote]

Thank the world someone else was cringing at the same time. I think "I wonder if they picked up their Japanese from anime?" rather than formal teaching. I see you were drilled a million times also. Yay for Japanese teachers.

It's like "vous" and "tu" in French also, right?
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

[quote="dillpops"]
It's like "vous" and "tu" in French also, right?[/quote]

yes, almost
but japanese people have more than just 2 levels of respect, so I suppose many would be translated by "tu" and many by "vous" ....
kanae

Post by kanae »

The explanations given above, helped me to understand
a little bit more about why some of you were upset
about the use of the word "anata" (since i don't speak
japanese, it was difficult for me to understand the reason).......
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

So which is the polite way to say you?
At least they didn't say kimi or kisama...
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

If you're going to be polite, you don't use pronouns at all. You use their name. For example:

"anata no ichiban suki na manga wa nan desu ka?" - this is the jist of what one of those questions was. It's completely inappropriate because 'anata' depends on your intimacy with the person. I'm not sure if I'm correct but I'm pretty sure a common usage which illustrates this is between boyfriend/girlfriend/couples or it can be rude if you use it to your senior etc. Because you aren't putting '-san' etc. or using their name...My japanese teacher said you should avoid pronouns completely if possible!

Can someone explain it better? They should have said, as Therax explained:

"Sakamoto-san no ichiban suki na manga wa nan desu ka?"

Where they use her name and the suffix '-san' which shows respect ^^ really you can only drop '-san' when you feel the other person will be OK with it and you are on that level of closeness. For example, friends can drop '-san'...I'm not entirely sure of the degree because I called my Japanese friend "marino-san" for a long time before I felt I could drop "-san" and not offend her...

I'm not sure if this sounds easy >_< because it's not. Context is to particular...

Therax, please explain it ^^
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

[quote="Therax"]And she was right a million times. Every time that idiot in the audience said "anata," it made me cringe and want to leap up and tear his throat out.
[/quote]
Actually, you're wrong. While it's more appropriate to use person's name or position, "anata" is not forbidden in polite conversations (e.g. when you don't know the person's name). The only "familiar, intimate" anata is the one wife uses to call his husband. In other situation you'd use omae or kimi for a close friend/person. Or anta :)
Therax

Post by Therax »

[quote="J
Therax

Post by Therax »

[quote="roxfan"][quote="Therax"]And she was right a million times. Every time that idiot in the audience said "anata," it made me cringe and want to leap up and tear his throat out.
[/quote]
Actually, you're wrong. While it's more appropriate to use person's name or position, "anata" is not forbidden in polite conversations (e.g. when you don't know the person's name). The only "familiar, intimate" anata is the one wife uses to call his husband. In other situation you'd use omae or kimi for a close friend/person. Or anta :) [/quote]
Okay, I overstated when I said "entirely inappropriate." :) But most of the circumstances under which "anata" is appropriate didn't apply here. He certainly knew Sakamoto's name at this point in the panel, and I really don't think it showed appropriate decorum to use "anata" in a focus panel setting with a hundred people focused on the question you're about to ask.

Of course, I do tend to stay on the side of politeness. But given the esteem in which we hold Maaya, isn't a bit of politeness only appropriate?
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

We need a Japanese study topic. Or didn't we have one already? ;)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
kanae

Post by kanae »

Going back to the concert's theme, could someone please, comment about the images that were shown while Maaya was singing PLATINUM???
(i'm a huge fan of that song ^^'')
thanks for the info