Anime Expo convention report

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Therax

Anime Expo convention report

Post by Therax »

Just back from AX! Lots to come tomorrow when I am not quite so dead on my feet. Look forward to:
  • Concert report
  • Concert program scans (including the promotional souvenier booklet)
  • Complete recording of the focus panel
Good night for now. ^_^

Panel Recording[/size]

Below is a link to my raw recording of the Maaya Sakamoto focus panel that took place from 10-11 AM on Monday July 4, 2005.

Let me give a few notes about the recording. This was recorded again from my laptop, sitting on my lap during the panel. There's lots of noise (you can hear me putting my cell phone on vibrate mode), and since the microphone was facing towards the rear of the hall you can hear audience noise more than the panel itself. On this recording you can hear the sheer volume of the applause and cheering, in particular the cheering of the people in the rows immediately behind me. If you're listening to the raw recording, be careful of your speakers and your ears while listening. There is also a fair amount of noise as I transfer the laptop to my chair and get up to get in line to ask questions at the start of the Q&A segment. See if you can guess which one is my question. :)

The moderator is Crispin Freeman. There are also voices audible on the recording from who I believe are Maaya's manager and producer with Victor Entertainment Japan. I may however be wrong about that.

The original sound recording is a 44.1 KHz uncompressed AIFF file. It is 40 minutes long and just over 400 MB total in size.

There are two versions linked below. Both are 128 Kbps ABR mono MP3 file encoded using LAME 3.93. The first was encoded after some minimal audio processing to even out the levels using dynamic range compression (settings given below), and is by far the more listenable version. The other was encoded directly from the AIFF, and exhibits all the problems described above. I offer it in the hopes that someone with more time or expertise at audio editing will be able to do a better job cleaning it up. I have also produced a complete transcription of the panel derived from this recording. More information below.

On a side note, this was done for everybody in the Maaya community, but particularly for the international community here on MaayaS.net. In some small way, I hope you all enjoy this little slice of Maaya.

So, without further ado:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~orion/ax20 ... ressed.mp3

The above version has been treated with dynamic range compression (-30dB threshold; 6:1 reduction ratio; gain corrected). If you'd prefer an unedited version, perhaps to try your own hand at cleaning up the file, use the link below:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~orion/ax20 ... el-Raw.mp3[/size][/size][/size]

Panel Transcript[/size]

I have posted a transcript of the panel, based off the recordings above, and placed it on MaayaWiki under the topic AX2005FocusPanel. Here is a direct link to the relevant page:

http://maayas.net/wiki/AX2005_Focus_Panel

This version is a work in progress. There are many gaps in the Japanese, and probably at least a few transcription errors. This is a Wiki, so contribute! If you think you have a better idea of what's being said by one person or another, feel free to edit the page and put in your corrections.

Be warned, I'll be watching the edit history. ;-)
Li_Nickole

Post by Li_Nickole »

I'm sure waitign for all of them :D
Thank so much for giving us the oportunity to hear Maaya and almost feel like we were there ^_^
chibiNekomancer

Post by chibiNekomancer »

Hello minna!

im too am back from the convention... a really...tiredsome event.... specially when i had no place to sleep in x_x
but allas.... report later... im.. too... lightheaded right now...

How did you get a recording? :(

I only used my little camera for bad photos >.<

But anyway, i look forward to it :)
... i wonder if i will appear @_o

and... too bad we did not meet ^^u
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Therax

Post by Therax »

I had some trouble accessing the site earlier today. DNS troubles? Also, the computer my scanner is attached to died a sudden death, so you'll all have to wait a bit longer to get concert program scans. These are already available from a few other AX2005 reports.

However, as far as I know I'm the first one with a recording from the focus panel, and I've added a link to my recording of the panel to the first post of this thread.

Please note that the recording above is temporary only. I plan to post another version with better quality (filtered, dynamically compressed, and more listenable) within the next day or two. Please do not distribute the link.
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

thank you soo much !

i couldn't prevent me from crying and aplause, alone in my room, when I heard her singing Loop...

=_____________=

I want to meet her !!
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I can't believe one of those guys asked his question in Japanese, I was about to be really impressed but then he used "anata" and the whole WHOOPS factor just ruined it for me. ^^ at least he tried...

I really wish I could of been there. She sounds adorable - I'll be waiting with baited breath for the cleaned up version.

Thank you so much!!!
Sora

Post by Sora »

\(^o^)/ Ohhh THANK YOU SO MUCH THERAX !! \(^o^)/[/size]
I can't believe someone has been able to record !! o__o (so, you were sitting on your computer right ?^^; ;)

Unfortunately, I'm not that good with US-English and there's a lot of things I haven't understood =_=;;; The transcription will be welcome^^;;;

Maaya is so cute !!! ^o^
I wish I could be there ;____;

By the way, have some people from this forum been able to meet..?
... and did someone manage to record the concert as well..? o_o
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="Sora"]By the way, have some people from this forum been able to meet..?
... and did someone manage to record the concert as well..? o_o[/quote]

I think only the interview guys got to MEET meet Maaya (maayasakamoto.net for example) and apparently anything visible at the concert was snatched away so it'd be pretty difficult to record in those conditions...
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

thaaaank you how nice to hear her singing Loop it's so cute ^^ :D
chibiNekomancer

Post by chibiNekomancer »

Hello minna

I guess many people went to the concert and have this, but just so everyone has them too:

* <a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/N ... Panflet</a>. This was given to us when seated.

* <a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/N ... Message</a>. This was the little message that was included in the concert envelope.

* <a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/N ... nvelope</a>. The cool envelope in wich the sign was in.

* <a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/N ... g">Booklet inside</a>. The listing of songs for the concert! :)

* <a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/N ... g">Booklet inside</a>. This is the concert booklet; it has a cool Maaya photo, and a list of her albums XD

I hope you like them ^^
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Li_Nickole

Post by Li_Nickole »

I'm dying to hear the concert hehehe, maybe this is a dream that can't be true but I guess It's enough to know that many Maaya-fams could heard her and that it was amazing
I'm really happy about everyone that could hear her and thank you all for expresing us how her singing made you feel..
^_^
slippy

Post by slippy »

Maaya is love.

Seriously, that's the vibe you get when you hear her live. I wish I could buy y'all tix to her next convention appearance.
Ayoretrel

nobody record the concert???

Post by Ayoretrel »

nobody records the concert?? :cry: :cry: :cry:
or took photos
tell me more!!!!! :cry: :cry:
Ayoretrel.
I
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="dillpops"][quote="Sora"]By the way, have some people from this forum been able to meet..?
... and did someone manage to record the concert as well..? o_o[/quote]

I think only the interview guys got to MEET meet Maaya (maayasakamoto.net for example) and apparently anything visible at the concert was snatched away so it'd be pretty difficult to record in those conditions...[/quote]
I didn't mean "meeting Maaya" but "fans meeting other fans"^^;;;

Too bad they were so strict about "no photos no recording" ;_;
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
slippy

Post by slippy »

nobody records the concert??
or took photos
tell me more!!!!!
Both were prohibited at the concert. Which, I felt, was fair game. During the Kotoko concert, some people started taking pictures and such (a lot of people were using cellphones as "cig lighters.") I heard later that this made her staff very angry. That's a shame since Kotoko delivered one heck of a concert.

But people were allowed to take pictures during the focus panel meeting. There was a line for fan Q&A, and I actually got in line. There wasn't enough time, though. I'm not really that disappointed by that, though; the whole Q&A thing felt a little impersonal anyway.

My hunch is that the Texas show is going to be much better, though. The Geneon have a better idea of her popularity in the States, and hopefully they'll be nicer to her and fly her a few days before the concert. She knows now how much she's loved too here. :)