yoko kanno's fantasy language

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
mood

yoko kanno's fantasy language

Post by mood »

as you know yoko kanno has used this strange language in a couple of songs. sora from escaflowne, butter sea, cloe and early bird from arjuna, fad from maaya...

how did she create this language? it seems like a mixture of different european languages such as english, french, italian, spanish and whatever :)
does anyone know any details about this language? is it really a new language which you could theoratically speak or is it just singing "nonsense"?
i find it very beautiful, really!
then another thing... when it is a language, is there something like a ...ehm....dictionary?

animelyrics has a translation for the song sora. i wonder how that can be. the author wrote it would be ancient roman, i think. now i'm rellay confused. thought sora belonged to that fantasy language-complex.

my last question: how would you write this language down (do you know what i mean?)? would be nice if you could post the lyrics as you would write them and we could discuss about that, perhaps about possible meanings and similarities to existing languages and so on... :)
what do you think?
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

I think the lyrics of Fad are in Portuguese. In fact I know the song as Fado instead as Fad. Fado is the tipical music of Portugal, like the tango is for Argentina or sevillana for Spain.
I supose forum Portuguese members can confirm or correct that.
mood

Post by mood »

ooooh i'm sorry.... +hides under the desk+
could somebody post the lyrics of fado? ^^''
with translation?
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

[quote="In Yoko Kanno Database Pulseczar"]
???
Fado
Fate [1]

Lyrics: nota
Performance: ???? (Maaya Sakamoto)
Composition/Arrangement: ?????
Transcription by ear: Pulseczar
Translation: Pulseczar

Se voc
mood

Post by mood »

whoah doumo arigatou gozaimasu yooooo!
where did you find these lyrics??
hihi it's funny, animelyrics also have lyrics of fado, but they are completely different. :)
thank you again for your engagement, tenson.

that's a pitty that theres's no sense in kanno-ish. but there's a chance within it. when you sing it you can think of whatever you want and express these feelings. i like the idea of using the voice as an instrument.

do the kanno-ish song lrics exist somewhere in the net?
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Yeah, Kanno-ish sounds different in every song XD if you listen to 'sora' from the Escaflowne movie it sounds like latin or something 0_0
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

I found that lyrics at Yoko Kanno database http://members.shaw.ca/ykdb/
In Discography you'll find all works she's been involved and a link for all the lyrics (only a few) stored in the web.
I think there isn't any kanno-invented lyrics :(
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

Well, about "Fado"... The way it is written looks like brazilian, but it sounds closer to portuguese. The "te cala" part principally, since here we say "cala-te" and in Brazil "Cale-se". Or it is talking about something that silents her.
But she sounds like the lyrics, of course with a very bad accent, kind of "Li
chibiNekomancer

Post by chibiNekomancer »

Hey, kannoense songs are some of my favorite!
I always have a hard time trying to follow the melody. Are the lyrics printed in the booklets of the cds?

That would be great, altough if they were i bet they would be already online huh....

i want to sing kannoense! XD
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Goliath

Post by Goliath »

You can find some "Kannonsense" Lyrics on my little not finished page*gg*.
http://www.forfansonly.de.vu

-Sing it!- :lol:
~En To Pan~
mood

Post by mood »

what a pitty that your site isn't compatible to opera.
are these the official lyrics or just what you figured out?
a good idea anyway :)
Goliath

Post by Goliath »

I translated them by ear :lol:
~En To Pan~
ariel

Post by ariel »

YAY!!! I agree, lyrics for kanno's songs are a great idea. I just love listening to her strange language...there's something really interesting about listening to songs you don't understand, especially yoko kanno's songs they can sound anything from mystical to exotic. YEAH WORSHIP THE MUSIC GODDESS :D
mood

Post by mood »

it is really nice to sing them because you can put your feelings into these strange words. whatever you think you can express it. lyrics in an existing language have their menaing und when you're singing "i love you...." you can't sing a song about hating someone.
therefore i love kannish. it is like a radio drama, you have to figure out your personal meaning that you think the song has. :)
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Kanno's songs have an AWFUL lot of french in them....she admitted herself that she calls up her friend in paris and asks her for french words......its especially clear in songs like WHATCHA GONNA DO and butter sea she uses words like "soleil" and "pourquoi" a lot also....since the introduction of ilaria she seems to throw in a bit of italian..the rest I think is just whatever fits to the beat.