Official Yuunagi LOOP discussion

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I'll third the fact that Shounen Arisu was very heavy...you'd go from the incredibly powerful 'scrap' songs which are jarring (but once they get going can become incredibly catchy and satisfying to sing along to) and then completely 360 in the other direction you'd have the incredibly minimalist floating songs like 03+ which are equally hard to listen to. I'd say that you definitely have to be in the mood for SA. (Which is probably why I prefer the live versions of the album because they don't have as much of a contrast).

I wouldn't say that YL is below average in the generic genre. Obviously the production is decent and Maaya's vocals are certainly different to the average jpop singer. Compare YL to say, Songbird by Kokia, which is frankly HORRENDOUS, and you know which one you'll choose. However there are many jpop artists out there who are breaking out of the generic mould, for example rurutia, utada hikaru, even akino arai at times, puffy ami yumi..its not enough to say that Yoko Kanno is the only producer who is trying new things, a distinctive beautiful sound...

I'm disappointed by the lack of experimentation in this album, even the way the vocals are written to not compliment Maaya's voice..she is different, she is unique, this album does NOT show case that. She shouldn't be settling for average....it is definitely a regression back to WHOOPS! and other similar projects. I just hope that we will see a lot more new material from Maaya, which is likely because this album has been such a huge success for her it means she'll be able to pick better producers, she'll be able to spend a lot more money, have better contracts etc...

So all in all I don't regret YL being released as it means she can move onto better things but I really dislike it as an album. (does anybody think it sounds very 80s?)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I always thought Shounen Alice had a very 80's feel to it actually ^^;;;; Yoru and Scrap being quite retro in feeling for some reason...Yoru in particular...reminded me of Bubblegum Crisis music! Do not ask me why!
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I kinda know what you mean..especially the midi programming, its very rigid
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

now I've got a problem....

I've listen another time of the album, and liked it very more....

... but objectively I find it boring.... but liked it ....

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Maaya-chan is the best :)
bad day today

Post by bad day today »

Hmm... I kind of understand how you feel... I'm pretty much incapable of hating maaya's piece of art (huehuhu... I love 'em all)
Kem

Post by Kem »

My copy came today and I'm in the middle of "A Happy Ending" as I type this. I have to say that overall, this album was really good. I liked it a lot. The only song that didn't really appeal to me is "Wakaba". My favorites were "Hello", "NO FEAR / Aisuru Koto," "Yuunagi Loop," and "A Happy Ending." I felt really happy when I listend to all those songs. I don't know how else to explain why I like them... I guess I just do.

Any way, I would say that this album was really good and that this experiment was a total success. It's as good as Shounen Alice (Which was probably my favorite before I heard this. I liked SA a lot. It's sad that most of you didn't...). And that's my story. YAY MAAYA!!!
I like cereal.
koocho

Post by koocho »

Hmm i'm starting to feel jelous about you guys!!

My copy is spected to arrive on about two weeks!!

Anyway i have been thinking about when i order the copy at yesasia and realizes that i should buy some other records from her (problem is i have not enough money to buy the current records they offering) which was Dive, Lucy, Grapefruit, Shounen Alice and of course the new album.

So i thought, i have to decide for one record more to buy because i have not so much money, therefore the question is which record will you pick?

For me the obvious and inmediate response was DIVE, and so i did i went and place my order for the new album and dive.

Then i think that how will i rank her records on my oppinion i they end like this:
1. Dive
2. Lucy
3. Easy listening
4. Grapefruit
5. Shounen Alice

This is provisional until i get my copy of the new album, but for the first three choices i think they will not change.

Of course this is my humble oppinion.

Bye
chrono

Post by chrono »

Yuunagi Loop is really starting to grow on me, and I'm on my 3rd listening. It doesn't surprise me that it took me a little bit to get used to it, since it took me a few listens to get into Lucy, Easy Listening and Shounen Alice at first. While I don't think this album will become my favorite, I definitely like most of the tracks already.

Favorites: Hello, Honeycomb, Loop, Wakaba, No Fear ~ai suru koto~, Unison, A Happy Ending
Least favorite: Fuyu desu ka (man those trumpets get to me hehe)

Like others have also expressed, I've really become attached to Unison. It just has such a great diverse feel :)

[quote="tenson"]Maaya plays an instrument! A theremin, I supose as a kind of FX [/quote]
I've played a theremin before! I need to listen for that this time XD

[quote="tenson"]Maybe a kind of "guide" for complete the questionarie?
I think I understand the 4th and 5th question, but not the rest. I want wallpapers too! \o/[/quote]
Let's see what I can do. Here's the questionnaire.
1) 買った、これから買うつもり -- Pick this if you bought the CD or plan on buying it.
2) How did you hear that this CD would be released?
   a) 店頭告知で (shop notice)
   b) 店頭で商品を見て (shop CD display)
   c) 雑誌の記事広告で (magazine article)
   d) テレビ・ラジオで (TV/radio)
   e) 「ビタミンM」で ("vitamin M" -- maaya's radio show)
   f) 友人から聞いて (from a friend)
   g) その他 (other -- i would just type in english where you heard)
3) Where do you live? (pick 日本国外 unless you live in japan. if you live in japan, find the part of japan you live in XD)
4) Gender. 男 (male) or 女 (female)
5) Age range. This should be obvious.
When you're done, click 送信.

[edit: removed due to redundancy]

H-Wonder is what Hiroki Wada is calling himself (he sang Mystic Eyes from Escaflowne :) ) I wonder if he's somehow related to H's...
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

If you find the special Maaya page on http://www.cdjapan.co.jp there is an interview with her and she explains why she doesn't work with Kanno ^^ it's all to do with trying new things to grow as an artist. They have worked together for 9 years :)
chrono

Post by chrono »

Found it! Thank you -- It was an interesting read :3

[quote="maaya sakamoto"]At any rate, I'll probably be working with Mrs. Kanno again in the future, and I want to show her I've grown as an artist.[/quote]
Well, that's what I wanted to hear <3

[quote="cd japan"]Her second singles collection "Nikopachi" made it to number 3 on the Japanese charts and featured the song "Uchu Hikoshi no Uta" from NHK's "Minna no Uta" television show.[/quote]
I think they're a little confused LOL
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="chrono"]As for the people that did work with Maaya this time around, I attempted romanizing them:

maaya sakamoto: lyrics (1, 4, 10-12)
h's: lyrics (3, 6)
yuho iwasato: lyrics (5, 9)
takashi hamazaki: lyrics (2, 7) & composition/arrangement (7)
youko suzuki: composition/arrangement (8, 12) & lyrics (8)
h-wonder: composition/arrangement (2, 3, 10)
周水: composition (4, 9) [i couldn't quite figure this one out]
takeshi nakatsuka: composition/arrangement (5, 11)
yuki nakanishi: arrangement (1, 4, 9)

H-Wonder is what Hiroki Wada is calling himself (he sang Mystic Eyes from Escaflowne :) ) I wonder if he's somehow related to H's...[/quote]
(I've written some details about the people involved in the making of the album in this topic^^)[/size]
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

[quote="chrono"]
H-Wonder is what Hiroki Wada is calling himself (he sang Mystic Eyes from Escaflowne :) ) I wonder if he's somehow related to H's...[/quote]

Are you sure?? I thought Seki Tomokazu sang Mystic Eyes! *checks Anime Lyrics* Oh, you're right! That's so weird, I wonder why my mp3 of it says that? I shall have to fix it later. Thanks :)
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="frecklegirl"][quote="chrono"]

Are you sure?? I thought Seki Tomokazu sang Mystic Eyes! *checks Anime Lyrics* Oh, you're right! That's so weird, I wonder why my mp3 of it says that? I shall have to fix it later. Thanks :) [/quote]
Isn't Seki Tomokazu the seiyuu of Van Fanel in the Escaflowne anime ? That may explain why the mp3 tag says he is the singer^^;
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
chrono

Post by chrono »

[quote="Sora"](I've written some details about the people involved in the making of the album in this topic^^)[/size][/quote]
That is a beautiful wealth of info -- I'm particularly interested in Ryousuke Nakanishi now :3

[quote="sora"]Isn't Seki Tomokazu the seiyuu of Van Fanel in the Escaflowne anime ? That may explain why the mp3 tag says he is the singer^^;[/quote]
My god, I was so about to say that <cackles>
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

OMG

OMGOMGOMGOMG

MY COPY OF YUUNAGI LOOP CAME WITH A POSTER!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

I love Cdjapan so much!!! They are amazing! I didn't even know this was going to happen!! It's the absolute most beautiful poster ever, and it's full-size too! simply amazing!!

*listens to new music very very very happily*