Call me crazy, but here's a theory.

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
oamichano

Call me crazy, but here's a theory.

Post by oamichano »

In the late-night research I'm doing comparing a poem about running away from my English class and OKITEGAMI, from Shonen Alice, I came upon this revelation/theory that I will fully BS to its full value for my research paper.

Case in point:

The tracknotes (courtesy of Mizuki) clearly say that "And so the story ends. And again, it has started." What does that mean?

I started thinking about it, sorta because I have to for my research paper, and then I thought about what she said about Shonen Alice being sort of a collection of different sides of personalities. Then I thought about her interview with CDJapan (and now that I look I can't find it so I can't cite it for my paper, ARGH!) about how she said in Yuunagi LOOP she's (and don't quote me on this) exploring different sides of her music (and maybe she said something on personality as well?), and the whole interview just kind of feeling like her explaining herself because a lot of people were wondering what happened to Yoko Kanno.

So here's what I thought: Okitegami seems to be loosely related with this decision to "graduate" from collaborating solely with Kanno, and that the track notes refers to this as both the end of an era and the beginning of a new one.

It's kind of like a graduation song, and if you think of it that way the lyrics make so much sense.

Oh, and first post. ;)
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

hééé interesting :wink:

But I think the end of their collaboration wasn't planed at all. But why not !
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Dude - Welcome.

And - Thanks.

That, to me, makes so much damned sense.....
:maayagrin:
Sora

Post by Sora »

Reminds me what I was saying a while back^^
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

But then again, Maaya also has the theme of the end being a new beginning on the Yuunagi LOOP album. Both the first song and the last song are about death. HELLO is a joyful song about how much she loves everything that was left behind but is still moving on, whereas A Happy Ending is a lifetime of joy ending in death and rebirth - actually rebirth appears in unison as well...

I'm not sure if this is anything but since her grandmother died last year it could also have had an influence on Yuunagi LOOP's lyrics...

Ah, I'm off topic ^^;;; but yes, Okitegami is a nice song...
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Whoa whoa, A Happy Ending isn't about death! No mention of death at all! Just the couple growing old and being happy together. It does nooooot say anything about them being about to die (though I mean yes, we can assume that, since they are old, but the song makes no mention of it specifically).

I don't think Maaya knew when she sang Okitegami that it was the end for her and Kanno, and so I don't buy this theory at all. Remember, that was back in 2003, and afterwards she did things with Kanno like the radio live... it was probably not decided that she would not work with her on Yuunagi Loop until much later. That song has a lot of personal meaning for me and her liner notes about the story ending just seem to me to be a general reflection on the song's topic... not referring to anything specific in her life.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="frecklegirl"]Whoa whoa, A Happy Ending isn't about death! No mention of death at all! Just the couple growing old and being happy together. It does nooooot say anything about them being about to die (though I mean yes, we can assume that, since they are old, but the song makes no mention of it specifically)..[/quote]

"if I was born again" I mean being the reincarnation - it's mentioned a lot. Death being too strong a word again. Reincarnation. That's what I meant. This translation being used of course. It's a common theme. I mean. Reincarnation was what I meant >_<

Besides - what would be wrong with death being used in a happy ending? They've been so happy and its one of the blessings of life if a couple can go on loving each other through death...Its about a lifetime of love and it will inevitably I guess end in death - what else can an ending to life be? A happy ending mean it's not at all sad...They've watched their children grow up, they've had a great life even if they're not priviledged with money or anything :)

Meh, I'm not trying to be weird or anything...but opinions are opinions. I just want to interpret it like that...
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

[major offtopic]

Go crazy girls, we'll be happy to watch. Right Tenson?

[/major offtopic]

I kind of often avoid speculation, so I don't have a real word or opinion to say on this. I don't really care about the reason Maaya isn't working with Yoko Kanno as it doesn't make things different.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Sorry to if I annoy people ^^;;;
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

woo...
all of a sudden all become a bit complicated here.. :roll:

anyway
theory is just theory according to my sight of view. as long as maaya hasn't stated anything about her "graduation" from Kanno-san or likewise i dun think she meant to wrote that.. :lol:

it always frightening to imagine maaya split up from Kanno-san. It's almost unbearable :(

umm first, i beg your pardon. is it true that only maaya herself that wrote all the lyrics in shonen alice??? i mean without any help from iwasato-san *like as always* ??? :?
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I don't think Iwasato is credited at all...
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

[quote="kirei_lanford"]
umm first, i beg your pardon. is it true that only maaya herself that wrote all the lyrics in shonen alice??? i mean without any help from iwasato-san *like as always* ??? :?[/quote]
Wrong.
http://members.shaw.ca/ykdb/discography ... alice.html
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Ah I didn't know that :neko:
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Oh, were dillpops and I supposed to start mud wrestling? XD Well, too bad! I'm just glad she cleared up what she meant. I understand now :) Reincarnation is, I think, a theme repeated throughout Yuunagi Loop (Unison, etc). You know, I really like the lyrics for a lot of those songs, but the sound of them... I just can't get into all of it just yet.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Maaya chan is doing just okay :maayagrin: ; kinda I think Kanno and Yuho san are like her favourite aunts, who keeps an eye on her and give guidance from time to time. She's now aged above 25, so I think its time Maaya chan try to fly with her own strength.

I can wait, because Maaya still rely to Yuho san writings because she has experience. Noted to Paprika and Unison, and similarly like how Maaya writes for Kazemichi Jet, it has that same taste like Hashiru XD

Even my friends were amazed just how much Maaya popularity grows from year to year, though I was listening to her songs way back from highschool. At that time she was like us, young and needed people to follow. Ganbarimasu Maaya chan.

also.. that question of "marriage".. lol, who will she choose? XD
I just cant wait.. uh, I guess my part of the story is being unfold as we speak.. keke..

[quote="dillpops"]I don't think Iwasato is credited at all...[/quote]
I personally think, Yuho san is in a special position where she liked to stay behind the weild.. that sense of personality is called "shyness of a woman". To be honest, her strength in writing romantic lyrics are.. well.. 10 stars XD (But one thing I respected about her, she knows how to present the song like unfolding one's history accurately.. to me, like Maaya.. she is also a special person)

Remember what Neol from Oasis said in Shampage Supanova? "How many special people change? How many lives are living strange?"
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.