About the Japanese fansite COMA...

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
chibiNekomancer

Post by chibiNekomancer »

Well this seems a bit of concept discussion.

We are treating what is wrong?. The fact that someone is claiming that her content is being stolen, even tough he does not own it?. At least he made an effort to publish it!

I belive that is what could bother him. Not the actual content, but the fact that his hard work is not being recognized.

Now this is another issue, whether its right or wrong to get credits over something that is innatly public is another matter entirely.

As a webmaster, she can do whatever she wants. She does not own the content, but she does own the publishing service, and that is where nobody can say what to do or not to do.

For the most part, what Sangye or others do in her website is the same matter. Sure its wrong, but so are a lot of things, and the basis for internet is freedom of speech.

But be sure of something, to any action there is a consecuence. Let's just try ourselves to not to do things that can cause soemthing similar like this to happen again u_u

Edit: changed Coma from a girl to a boy, im a great doctor... i preffer girl webmasters XD
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Sora

Post by Sora »

To Pippa : I didn't say he had done the right thing, just that it is his choice and we should accept it and move on, and do what we used to do before knowing his site : search for the informations by ourselves :) Of course the links can still be found without looking at his site, so why do people complain so much about him blocking his site which is mainly about news and links found surfing the internet ? Come on people, don't be so lazy, if you want those informations, you can get them ; I'm not the only one knowing a bit of Japanese here, and even when I could barely say three words of it, I could still copy and past "坂本真綾" in Google :)

I don't think what he did was the fairest thing to do either, but that's his choice, even if in the end it looks just like discrimination towards foreign fans ; actually, I'm not even sure that there is a good solution to prevent people from stealing and using other people's work without asking. There will always be such people, not only on internet, and no matter what you do to prevent them from accessing to your work, they will eventually find a way to get an access to it I'm afraid :s

Coma's webmaster is aware of this, but he still wanted to do something ; maybe he just felt very annoyed by what those people were doing and wanted to do something that would shock people, to show them how he felt, though I'm not sure it shocked the "right" people... :(

... concerning mudwrestle, sorry Pippa, but I'm for peace as often as possible (^_~)Y

to misssakura : concerning copyrights, that's what I was asking in the other topic, thanks for clearing things up ; Coma's webmaster actually was not only talking about pictures but also texts copied and pasted without any modification. Maybe he is wrong to think the way he thinks, but there's nothing we can do about it, he is free to do and think whatever he wants as a person and webmaster... :s

To me it's not really about copyrights in the end but more about showing some respect toward the person who provided you with informations and stuff ; she/he may not own the copyrights to what she/he shared with you, but she/he took the time to search, gather informations together, buy some stuff and scan them for other people to enjoy... I think it is just respectful to ask that person before using what she/he shared elsewhere or at least put a little "thank you ***" somewhere... Nobody forces you to do anything as that person doesn't own the actual copyrights, but saying "thank you" doesn't hurt and takes 2 seconds... :)

But once again, my opinion^^
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I agree with what you're saying, but at the same time, since coma does not actually own the content, it is possible for multiple sources to gain access to this information, not just coma, so what i'm wondering is, how does he determine that he is the only one who should be credited with discovering a certain source?

I think its really cool when different websites have a different feel to them, I love the feel of YKDB for example, because I know that interviews and information have taken a long time to build up through members and webmasters actually taking pains to attend concerts, buy merchandise and interview people specifically fcr content. If I found another website that, for example, made a section about Ilaria Graziano, i'd know that the majority of the information would have been 'stolen' from YKDB, since it was the members who found out all there is to know about her.

But I do think with somebody like Maaya a lot of the time, surely it must be hard to just say 'coma is the only origin of this information'. How can he lay claim to something that seems quite public domain? Of course I don't ever actually go to coma XD but i'd imagine that its more about him being closer to the source and getting the information first, rather than it being backbreaking labour to find the content? And if he does have a source who provides him with exclusive content, maybe he should do what perez hilton does, and put a watermark on it XD
If you have any poo, better fling it now.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="Sora"]
... concerning mudwrestle, sorry Pippa, but I'm for peace as often as possible (^_~)Y[/quote]

Oooh too bad *_*

*washes off mud and turns off fountain*
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="misssakura"](...) how does he determine that he is the only one who should be credited with discovering a certain source?[/quote]
That's one good question..! o_o ?
How can he knows if people took the informations from his website or searched on their own and found the same infos in the end..? o_O ??

[quote="misssakura"](...) How can he lay claim to something that seems quite public domain? Of course I don't ever actually go to coma XD but i'd imagine that its more about him being closer to the source and getting the information first, rather than it being backbreaking labour to find the content?[/quote]
You've got a good point here ; since he is Japanese, it's much more easy for him to find informations and such... maybe he's not actually working that hard to find them and just has his own source website !! ¬¬

That's something I hadn't think about ; except for pictures he could have scanned himself, it's pretty hard to tell if people took things from his own website or not, unless it's been strictly copied/pasted... so how can he tell..? Unless the people mention his website as the source, he can't really tell (and if they mention his site, what's wrong then ?) o_o

[quote="Dillpops"]Oooh too bad *_*

*washes off mud and turns off fountain*[/quote]
XDDDDD

Well, let's try just for fun some other time ok ?^^
I loved mud when I was a child~ XD[/size]
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

[quote="Sora"]
[quote="Dillpops"]Oooh too bad *_*

*washes off mud and turns off fountain*[/quote]
XDDDDD

Well, let's try just for fun some other time ok ?^^
I loved mud when I was a child~ XD[/size][/quote]

I want to take part \o/ (or, at least, let me take a look XD)
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Well, I'm glad he stepped in, I understand this a bit better now. It's a shame, though. Dillpops always gave full credit (and so did most of us here with our own websites, like Megumi) whenever she found something on COMA's website. If it's mostly the Chinese and Korean blogs doing this, why not just only block Korean and Chinese IP addresses?

This is all a really sticky subject, and one that no one has the authoritative answer on. I think credit is really important because people worked hard to create what they did, even if it's just scans that anyone can do, they still took the time to do it themselves. A simple link to the place where you got something isn't that hard to do.

He himself says this isn't a permanent solution. This isn't over...