Translations

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Megumi

RE: Translations

Post by Megumi »

I think that's my scans kirei_landford, I've send them already to deltafour, if he wanted to translate them.

I don't think she looks skinny ):
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I think she looks very pretty ^^
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

kirei_lanford wrote: anyway here's some direct link i found.. probably hasn't been posted, no idea... there's some interviews there.. i think
These interviews are from October's issue of H. The translations are here (DOWN TOWN) and here (Arakawa Under the Bridge).
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Thank you very much ^o^!!!!
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

Megumi wrote: I think that's my scans kirei_landford, I've send them already to deltafour, if he wanted to translate them.

I don't think she looks skinny ):
well.. from what i see the figure of her shoulder.. i think she's rather skinny right now then before.. or she's just being like that all the time..
but then... it doesn't change the fact that maaya's still beautiful.. :D

and meg,.. about the scan, i found it while lurking into a japanese site.. dunno who upload those... just copied it and upload it into my photobucket :P

@deltafour
thanks.. as always.. >.
Last edited by kirei_lanford on 2010-12-05 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

Yay! Derek finished Iwasato x Sakamoto translation from IDS!26. Lots of juicy info there!
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I was surprised at 'Yoru' being about an affair, to be sure. But reading through the lyrics I can totally see it now.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

This is definitely one of the more interesting texts in recent memory. I'm not good at picking up on the subtle points in lyrics (I had never even thought about how Maaya sometimes avoids putting the main point in the chorus), but reading this makes me want to go through song-by-song and spend time reflecting on the words.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I think that if you want to contemplate the lyrics as they are without the music, 'Chizu to tegami to koi no uta' is a great little book. Beautiful photos and Maaya's lyrics set out page by page. A really lovely little volume for crazy fans like you and me.
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

ms iwasato being an affair
or some1 being an affair for her
sad
reputationpoints dropped!! lol
where is the thumbs down button when you need it!?
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I agree with deltafour, this give another perspective to the lyrics.
And it seems the lyrics translation are not sufficient any more, as they talk a lot about style effect with the use of the kanjis, which are definitly impossible to translate. =)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I'd also say that translations are also different from translator to translator. If you gave deltafour, Frecklegirl and I the same song, I guarantee you that we'd all come up with different phrasing, expressions for the same Japanese. I think that's why songs are more difficult to translate than interviews sometimes, you either have to have a straightforward translation or go with a more emotive one.

There are arguments for both options...straight translations would be more true to the original, but an emotive one would get the meaning/emotion of the words across better...but then you have the translator's interpretation colouring the lyrics. It's a difficult one to call. I only translate songs that I have an emotional connection with but maybe I'd produce a 'better' translation if I translated cold.

I think having notes at the bottom can be useful when talking about gramamtical/kanji expressions though. For example, there's discussion at Gabriela Robin about whether the use of 'awa ni naru' in Sheryl Nome's song 'Yousei' should be left as it is as 'turn into foam' or translated into what the expression is meant to get across which is 'all my hopes turn to nothing' (can't remember the exact phrase the discussion is about) as while it does mean everything turns to nothing in the end, the reference of turning into foam could be the story of the little mermaid when she turns into foam at the end...but then how do you express that in a single line? Which is where the footnotes come in.

Translation is a tricky business. I have a healthy respect for Frecklegirl and her lyrics archive.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

New 'everywhere' interview translation up:

http://maayasakamoto.blogspot.com/2010/ ... where.html
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

dillpops wrote: New 'everywhere' interview translation up:

http://maayasakamoto.blogspot.com/2010/ ... where.html
Great One.
Just a suggestion, when translating songs name, I think it would be good to still put the original names, for people who don't know their translation.
For this there was no problem, as she did speak about the same songs in all everywhere interviews (ID, Yakusoku Wa Iranai, Hikari Are, Everywhere...), but it would be nice for next works.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

OK, I'll switch them back. I thought I'd try it out and see how it went but I guess the old way was the better way.