Triangler enters Oricon no.6!!

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda »

[quote="dillpops"]

Actually, after mulling over a comment someone else made (several someone's actually over at JPM.com) that this song could easily have been AKINO and were lamenting the lack of YK/MS unique-ness that 'Triangler' probably wasn't Maaya specific composition wise and she was probably drafted in after the whole thing was completed and ready to go (which explains why all of it is YK if we assume Grabriela Robin is Kanno too). Which explains why the song sounds like anyone else could have sung it too, it's not Maaya specific (which also might explain why Maaya's vocals are weird if she's trying to sing something that's not tailored to her or just requires her to sing what's nessercary because the songs already finished).

This whole thing seems kinda rushed since she only recorded it in February and managed to fit a PV filming/jacket shoot in with all her usual work. We usually get a lot more warning.

This isn't a bad thing though, I'm really loving the song and I like the PV :lol: just was mulling over the comments that it could be an Akino song.

Although the simplest explanation for that is that they have the same composer XD

Overthinking....brain...exploding...

I'm gonna go listen to triangler again :lol:[/quote]

You know I never really thought of that. I would need to listen to it some more. But that does sound very likely now that you say it that way... But just like you, I love the song regardless pof if it is a maaya specific comp, or not.
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

Even if AKINO could sing it, I am so, so, so glad she didn't. I do not like AKINO's vocals. She's got a strong voice, but there's just something about her voice/emotional delivery. IMHO, Maaya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AKINO, for sure.
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

Double post, sorry, but wanted to let everyone know that promo for the single has been announced, as well as a first press bonus (but it's only good if you've got a Japanese cellphone, sigh):

The 'Triangler' special site has been updated with blog parts, and Maaya's upcoming media promotion has been announced:
・4/10 Animedia
・4/10 Animage
・4/10 Seiyuu Animedia
・4/10 New Type
・4/10 hm3SPECIAL
・4/20 VA(TSUTAYA) Free Paper
・4/20 mantoraFP

・3/10 Animage
 'Macross F' opening theme 'Triangler' interview
・3/10 New Type
 'Sakamoto Maaya no Manpukuron' which started in the April issue!
 It includes illustrations done by Gekidan InuCurry, the group who made the PV for 'Universe'
In first press editions only there will be included a 'Secret Number' with which you can win a prize & a 'Pink Triangle'!

▲The 'Triangler Campaign" that uses a 'Secret Number'!▲
Everyone who applies will receive a 'cellphone wallpaper' drawn by Sakamoto Maaya!
Also, from those who apply winners will be selected by raffle for special goods!

*This is a campaign that uses a cell phone QR code.
*This will not be compatible with some cell phones. Thank you for your understanding.
Another first press goodie that's only available to Japanese residents. Oh, well. I'm still hoping CDJapan will be giving out posters like Animate. *fingers crossed!
mike_s_6

Post by mike_s_6 »

[quote="harmonium"]Even if AKINO could sing it, I am so, so, so glad she didn't. I do not like AKINO's vocals. She's got a strong voice, but there's just something about her voice/emotional delivery. IMHO, Maaya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AKINO, for sure.[/quote]

The AKINO we're hearing from Aquarion recorded those songs at an age of 14, so I'm giving her a lot of slack. She's got a lot of years to come to develop more emotion in her voice. AKINO's high notes are a sore point, it's hard to listen to repetitively as it can be jarring with that power she's pushing it. On the other hand, Maaya's high notes is easier to listen to. I like them both the same, if we go back to the time that they both came out doing anime songs.
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

[quote="mike_s_6"]The AKINO we're hearing from Aquarion recorded those songs at an age of 14, so I'm giving her a lot of slack. She's got a lot of years to come to develop more emotion in her voice. AKINO's high notes are a sore point, it's hard to listen to repetitively as it can be jarring with that power she's pushing it. On the other hand, Maaya's high notes is easier to listen to. I like them both the same, if we go back to the time that they both came out doing anime songs.[/quote]

Around the same age Maaya did 'Yakusoku wa Iranai'. (AKINO started working with Kanno in 2005, and her initial singles came out in the same year when she was 14 going on 15, and 'Suashi' was recorded only last year). Her high notes are what kill me the most. 'Suashi' is a ballad, and it's like she didn't get that. Maybe I'm not giving her much slack because off the top of my head there have been other singers like Maaya (she may not have the strongest voice, but she really knows how to use it), JoJo, and Tamaki Nami who have come out at around the same age or earlier in JoJo's case, and have delivered better vocal performances. I really wanted to like AKINO since she's working with Kanno, but I haven't been able to get into her yet. But yeah, she is young, and she has potential, so I definitely won't count her out completely.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

I feel so proud.. XD

She has grown up so strong now, nyah nyah nyah..

ohohoho, so much potential.. from that 16 yr old girl back 12 years ago..
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
mike_s_6

Post by mike_s_6 »

[quote="dillpops"]
Actually, after mulling over a comment someone else made (several someone's actually over at JPM.com) that this song could easily have been AKINO and were lamenting the lack of YK/MS unique-ness that 'Triangler' probably wasn't Maaya specific composition wise and she was probably drafted in after the whole thing was completed and ready to go (which explains why all of it is YK if we assume Grabriela Robin is Kanno too). Which explains why the song sounds like anyone else could have sung it too, it's not Maaya specific (which also might explain why Maaya's vocals are weird if she's trying to sing something that's not tailored to her or just requires her to sing what's nessercary because the songs already finished).

This whole thing seems kinda rushed since she only recorded it in February and managed to fit a PV filming/jacket shoot in with all her usual work. We usually get a lot more warning.

This isn't a bad thing though, I'm really loving the song and I like the PV :lol: just was mulling over the comments that it could be an Akino song.

Although the simplest explanation for that is that they have the same composer XD

Overthinking....brain...exploding...

I'm gonna go listen to triangler again :lol:[/quote]

Maaya could have also sang the ending songs, Do you remember love and Aimo, but they had Megumi to do that for them. I didn't really think that Triangler was an AKINO song. Perhaps the song that is played within the anime, "Don't be Late", is something AKINO could pull off, but Triangler? That was a Maaya-styled song, at least in my opinion.

Are the JPM fans Japanese? It might just be because the last major Kanno hit was a song sang by AKINO and that's what they remember the most. And maybe it's just one person :D
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

No, they're not Japanese at all. 99% are non-Japanese. And it IS multiple people.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

JPM is the least Japanese populated board I know, I think *we* have more Japanese fans than they do :lol:
mike_s_6

Post by mike_s_6 »

That's great, maybe someone could post the link to the thread/post here (if it is in English)?

EDIT: Oh, forget it, I just found it. I didn't figure out what JPM stood for, and possibly I'm the only one in this forum who doesn't know this thread :P

Link
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Yeah, we kinda invaded that a while ago :D
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

[quote="jerome"]for the pv vid, just type "Maaya" in youtube, you'll find it[/quote]

youtube also act strange lately,, mybe it's related to that controversial video from holland.
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

I just wanted to mention that it's not only English fans who feel that 'Triangler' could have been done by AKINO. There's a review on amazon.co.jp from a Japanese fan who feels that it's more AKINO than Maaya, and that the song doesn't make use of Maaya's 'persuasive word power' and 'voice that has both youngness and sexiness', which I have to say is a fair assessment. The more I listen to it, the more it feels like an AKINO song. But I also like the song the more I listen to it, so.

I wonder if the song really was written with the intent to have AKINO as vocalist. I wouldn't be surprised. The lyrics feel young to me too. I can't really see a woman of Maaya's age feeling like this. But maybe it's just me.

(Notwithstanding all my criticisms, I'm still really, really excited for the single release. XD)

EDIT: Changed my mind about the lyrics. They're not (necessarily) expressing young emotions. I just don't know what to think of this song yet. Obviously. :? [/size]
mike_s_6

Post by mike_s_6 »

I think it's rightfully young though, given the characters in the story. The singer of the leading girl (Ranka) also forces a higher pitch in speaking and singing because the character she portrays is young. I would assume that it's a compliment for Maaya to be asked to sing this since it shows the producer's confidence that she can still pull off a youthful voice. But on the accounts of the use of Maaya's other singing skills, that's another story. This one definitely lacks :P
Kaimugen
Posting Freak

Post by Kaimugen »

Megumi Nakajima who is the cv for Ranka is only 19. I thought when she spoke as Ranka it was naturally youthful, but when she sang her voice only got higher at the "mou hitori bocchijanai" bit, and if you listen to the Minmay original that part was high too.