15th Anniversary Best Album 'Everywhere' 31/3

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

Just for grins and giggles, I thought I'd mention that various posts from this thread get copied and pasted around on Japanese forums on occasion. I've even found text copied from my blog, complete with a Japanese translation. (They don't always translate me correctly, but who am I to complain about that?) Perhaps this is ancient knowledge to the elder members of this board, but as a relatively new member I found this quite amusing. So far I've been complimented for my translation of Maaya's site, admonished for too much daydreaming, and misinterpreted in the previous post I made in this thread.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I know they do that for Macross World and it's happened on Hello! Project forums too but didn't realise they did it for Maaya's too. Interesting.

I'm sure the content of this thread was veerryy interesting.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

[quote="dillpops"]I'm sure the content of this thread was veerryy interesting.[/quote]

Ehehe...that's sort of my fault, sorry. I think I'm going to stop talking about the subject of Maaya's love life. The conversation never goes anywhere meaningful, and thinking about it now, it all seems rather silly to me.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Well it comes up every now and again, so I wouldn't apologise. I expect it'll turn up again when the DVD comes out :P
jason

Post by jason »

[quote="deltafour"][quote="dillpops"]I'm sure the content of this thread was veerryy interesting.[/quote]

Ehehe...that's sort of my fault, sorry. I think I'm going to stop talking about the subject of Maaya's love life. The conversation never goes anywhere meaningful, and thinking about it now, it all seems rather silly to me.[/quote]
That pretty much sums up my feeling about the topic. Very silly talk indeed.
Webmaster of MaayaSakamoto.net fansite
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

lmao i hope they dont post my stuff <.<
because im like that song from UNKLE
im a rabbit in your headlight
scared of the spotlight
1 of the best videos ever made imo
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

So then, getting back to a more topical subject, what does everyone think of the new "Magic Number" mix? I've read through the entire thread again and this hasn't been brought up once. I'm honestly having a hard time seeing any significant differences -- it sounds like they muted the strings in favor of the guitar. (A pity, I rather liked the strings as they were.) Almost sounds like there's a timpani in the background at some points -- was that there in the first version? The new version feels "heavier", so if I had to pick one I'd take the first, but I still like both.

I give "everywhere" a 4 out of 5. It's a nice track, good to wake up to in the morning. It feels like it could be better, maybe with a little more emotional contrast between the opening verse and the last chorus, but overall it's solid. Although Maaya's voice in recent releases has been processed more than her earlier works (sounds more reverb-ish), and I'm not sure I like that trend.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

When you talk about 'reverb-ish', do you mean vibrato? I wonder whether the development of her vocals has been due to Les Miserables.

It takes a whole different set of skills to sing on stage and I think we have Les Mis to thank for her live vocals being stronger than they were in the past. She had a sweet voice when she debuted but I think the strength behind it and the vibrato now is preferable. I definitely preferred her performances of her older songs on ‘We Are Kazeyomi’ and when I saw her last year than to the CD versions.

As for CD's...The only time I find the ‘processing’ noticeable is in Universe on the second verse and you can audibly hear it on ‘onaji hoshi’. And since she’s mentioned that 30 minutes night flight had an emphasis on one take only I’ve put it down to getting a near-perfect take, just flubbing one note and them correcting it. But it doesn’t bother me excessively.

The one thing that DOES bother me now is when she curls her high notes to cut them off (I don’t know what the technical word is) but on Kazamidori for example, some of the high notes in the last chorus seem to be curled upwards and cut off. I guess I’d compare it to the singing style of Keiko from globe, but it’s quite pronounced on the Kazeyomi album has a whole. It comes off as quite shrill sometimes.

Wow. Long post 0_0

Anyway, until you've been an Ayumi Hamasaki fan for 8 years you don't know how lucky we are that Maaya's voice has stayed as consistent as it has! Most Ayu conversations are arguments about her vocals. Whether it's a CD or whether it's a live performance, it's bound to fall into a discussion about how poor she's gotten over the years.

(Although, since I like Ayu's squeaky voice I'm not sure I should be trusted on my taste in vocals sometimes)
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

[quote="dillpops"]When you talk about 'reverb-ish', do you mean vibrato?[/quote]

No, that's not quite it. I'm not an audio expert, so I'm just stabbing at terms in the dark here. Take "Kazemachi Jet", for instance. To me, her voice seems to have much more fullness/richness in the second version than I think she's actually capable of. I agree her voice today is more refined and technically sound than it was several years ago, but "Kazeyomi" in general, whether it's the recording equipment or whoever mastered it, sounds to my ears like they put Maaya through a touch of post-processing. It may be nothing more than a slight echo to add a bit of depth/resonance. "Remedy" is another one that stands out to me.

[quote="dillpops"]The one thing that DOES bother me now is when she curls her high notes to cut them off ...[/quote]

I hadn't paid much attention to this before, but I noticed it on the way to work today and now I can't unhear it.

[quote="dillpops"](Although, since I like Ayu's squeaky voice I'm not sure I should be trusted on my taste in vocals sometimes)[/quote]

Well, I went through an Ayu phase a while back, so I can see the appeal in some of her early work. I have no idea what she's done recently, however, since these days I don't listen to much outside of Maaya.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="deltafour"]
I hadn't paid much attention to this before, but I noticed it on the way to work today and now I can't unhear it.
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruin it for you :cry:
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

[quote="deltafour"]Just for grins and giggles, I thought I'd mention that various posts from this thread get copied and pasted around on Japanese forums on occasion. I've even found text copied from my blog, complete with a Japanese translation. (They don't always translate me correctly, but who am I to complain about that?) Perhaps this is ancient knowledge to the elder members of this board, but as a relatively new member I found this quite amusing. So far I've been complimented for my translation of Maaya's site, admonished for too much daydreaming, and misinterpreted in the previous post I made in this thread.[/quote]

Oh wow... I had no idea. Where exactly is this taking place? 2ch?
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

[quote="jason"]That pretty much sums up my feeling about the topic. Very silly talk indeed.[/quote]

true jason.. u may say im a silly person, but i become like that in all things concerns to maaya.. XD ..

Okay so let's cut it.. XD

[quote="dillpops"]
The one thing that DOES bother me now is when she curls her high notes to cut them off (I don’t know what the technical word is) but on Kazamidori for example, some of the high notes in the last chorus seem to be curled upwards and cut off. I guess I’d compare it to the singing style of Keiko from globe, but it’s quite pronounced on the Kazeyomi album has a whole. It comes off as quite shrill sometimes.

Wow. Long post 0_0
[/quote]

i don't say i dont like maaya's previous vocal style, but if i were to be pushed into picking her best vocal.. i would definitely pick her 2002-2003 days.. the diversity from tell me what the rain knows to yoake no octave to bike to sora wo miro to 03 to okitegami.. such characters.. that's a voice actress for you... although lucy also has that... lovable "color" :roll:

[quote="dillpops"]
Anyway, until you've been an Ayumi Hamasaki fan for 8 years you don't know how lucky we are that Maaya's voice has stayed as consistent as it has! Most Ayu conversations are arguments about her vocals. Whether it's a CD or whether it's a live performance, it's bound to fall into a discussion about how poor she's gotten over the years.

(Although, since I like Ayu's squeaky voice I'm not sure I should be trusted on my taste in vocals sometimes)[/quote]

hahah.. i remember when i first knew ayumi hamasaki's song its like one of the 1st japan song i know.. the title is wishing... *i still really like that song now though.. one of the perfect verses* , then i heard depend on you, end roll etc.. listening her vocal now, is it me or she turned out to be more like mika nakashima or koda kumi??
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

[quote="frecklegirl"]Oh wow... I had no idea. Where exactly is this taking place? 2ch?[/quote]

2ch is where I've happened across it so far. I don't want to link to the thread, because some of the posts are rather disgusting (it is 2ch, after all). And it's not as if a lot gets copied from here -- just bits and pieces on rare occasions. The only reason I found out is Google keeps a (short) list of pages that link to my site, and a 2ch mirror happened to be in there, which I found somewhat curious.
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

when its about magic number & 1,2,3 mix i like em both around the same. 1,2,3 mix sounds slightly slightly more "gospel style".

[quote="dillpops"]When you talk about 'reverb-ish', do you mean vibrato?[/quote]
vibrator? xD

[quote="dillpops"]I think the strength behind it and the vibrato now is preferable. [/quote]
vibrator now is preferable? xD nasty

[quote="dillpops"]Anyway, until you've been an Ayumi Hamasaki fan for 8 years you don't know how lucky we are that Maaya's voice has stayed as consistent as it has! Most Ayu conversations are arguments about her vocals. Whether it's a CD or whether it's a live performance, it's bound to fall into a discussion about how poor she's gotten over the years. [/quote]
even if glass splitters you dont need to have "letter bring to light-worrys" mrs sakamoto :)
i forbid you to be a fan of ayumi hamasaki :-O there can only be 1 goddess!!!! checked her on wiki & she seemed to be quite popular.
dropped more & more tho. just listened to 1 of her songs. it was a trance remix. i dont like techNO and such but there can be a good song in every genre. dj tiesto - southern sun for example. maybe because it was at a "certain time".

[quote="deltafour"] "Kazeyomi" in general, whether it's the recording equipment or whoever mastered it, sounds to my ears like they put Maaya through a touch of post-processing.[/quote]
cmooon its a record after all. its not like she sinned. if you ask me what i like to listen most to from her then it would be the live dvd stuff. i like the intimate real voice most anyway. like when shes singing kazamidori at 3:24 thats 1 of the most sexy and strongest tones i ever heard. dare ni kiite mo wakaranai <--- i mean the ni. so even if they do some stuff with the songs i know what shes able to do :)

[quote="kirei_lanford"]hahah.. i remember when i first knew ayumi hamasaki's song its like one of the 1st japan song i know.. the title is wishing... *i still really like that song now though.. one of the perfect verses* , then i heard depend on you, end roll etc.. listening her vocal now, is it me or she turned out to be more like mika nakashima or koda kumi??[/quote]
dont talk about other singers here uaaaaaaaaaaa. i dont see em.
i dont want em uaaaaaa.

@delta lol you made me curious >< whats so disgusting plz plz plz tell meeee. translate em and post it here! we need to fight back ;)
i want to hear disgusting stuff!

because you talk like i do
just behind your hand
with your friends at home
and me? i spread it across the land
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

20% discount at CDJapan for 'everywhere' at the moment guys!
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VTZL-15