New Maaya x Yoko Kanno Collaboration Accounced

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Yyrkoon70

Post by Yyrkoon70 »

[quote="dillpops"]EDIT: also, Maaya's voice is sounding wonderful, it's back to full Nikopachi glory, no curling notes or anything. It's beautiful!I hope this gets put on CD soon.[/quote]

That's exactly what I thought! Her recent albums were deceiving concerning that point! The 23 carats version of Yubiwa is so divine, I really missed these kinds of songs! Thank you Maaya (and Yoko)! _|¯\O

By the way do you know where this version come from?
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I assume it's the 'full' ringtone released this month for cell phones.

EDIT: I really can't gush enough about how fantastic she sounds. Her voice is just....pristine :neko: Love it.
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

I got my hands on the lyrics, anyone able to translate? I can't be trusted with anything other than the kanji...

美しい人

[lyrics moved to relevant lyrics forum post]
JankoRaven

Post by JankoRaven »

Everything about this is just so beautiful. Maaya's voice, the melody, the strings - GUSH GUSH GUSH. <3
-Janko Raven-
Lene

Post by Lene »

Her vocals in the song are absolutely beautiful♥
I love the enchanting-like feel of the song too :)
#F!

Post by #F! »

Very beautiful song, I hope enter the next album.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

im late again.. but thanks to u guys i can't stand waiting too long.. gotta search the song first XD
yep, the sample was already a nice teaser so cant wait for the full HQ..
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

I assumed everyone listened to the new song already, it was awesome :)
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

[quote="dillpops"]Maaya's voice is sounding wonderful, it's back to full Nikopachi glory, no curling notes or anything.[/quote]

Do you suppose Kanno had more to do with this than anything else? I'm sure she picked up on those little vocal annoyances, so maybe she set down an ultimatum of sorts -- "If you're going to sing to my music, you're going to sing the right way." For some reason this strikes me as very Kanno-like, although I of course have no proof.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
mu84

Post by mu84 »

[quote="deltafour"][quote="dillpops"]Maaya's voice is sounding wonderful, it's back to full Nikopachi glory, no curling notes or anything.[/quote]

Do you suppose Kanno had more to do with this than anything else? I'm sure she picked up on those little vocal annoyances, so maybe she set down an ultimatum of sorts -- "If you're going to sing to my music, you're going to sing the right way." For some reason this strikes me as very Kanno-like, although I of course have no proof.[/quote]

not only that, but the variety of music that maaya had to sing with kanno probabaly prepared her voice for a lot of different things...
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

[quote="deltafour"][quote="dillpops"]Maaya's voice is sounding wonderful, it's back to full Nikopachi glory, no curling notes or anything.[/quote]

Do you suppose Kanno had more to do with this than anything else? I'm sure she picked up on those little vocal annoyances, so maybe she set down an ultimatum of sorts -- "If you're going to sing to my music, you're going to sing the right way." For some reason this strikes me as very Kanno-like, although I of course have no proof.[/quote]

Kanno's objective is to make the song more beautiful, she's a genius after all :)
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I thought this was the reason, I imagine Kanno to be very particular about what she likes and doesn't like. The song itself wouldn't really lend itself to how Maaya's been singing lately, and then there's the fact musical 'direction' is Kanno's forte after all :oops:

Probably a mixture of artistic direction and cajolement 'Why don't you try it like this...'
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

certainly! it is all that is need to be said...

the vocal notes can't lie.. even if u have a wonderful arrangement, if u have a somewhat "boring" line, then the song wouldn't sound that awesome, though instrument dynamic also has a role on everything..

though here, i don't mean that being simple is always boring.. sometimes there are songs that just need to sound simple. :)

in short, kanno has did it again. she knows maaya so well, so it has got to be one of the factor. she knows her limits and she explores it well...

i also found the type of the nuance that the vocal brought to be very suited with the arrangement.. this is what i am saying about. XD.. somehow the song reminds me to the old "kiseki no umi"..

i hope kanno will be involved again with a more calm and beautiful type of song.. the old favorite of me :evil:
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

So to extrapolate a bit further, perhaps this is a sign that Maaya still has yet to learn how to hold herself to the standards that Kanno set in the first nine years of her career. This makes sense to me, since from everything I've read it seems like Maaya is great at stepping up to a challenge set by someone else ("Les Mis" et al), but tends to be lazy (or perhaps not as critical of herself as she could be) when she's working alone. One wonders if there is some way Maaya can continue to explore in the directions she wants to while employing Kanno's services as a sort of "quality assurance".
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

im drooling for the HQ version... :evil:
was it planned to be just released as a ringtone.. shame of victor!