Budokan DVD and Blu-ray - August 2010 (mini site open)

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

[quote="deltafour"] Everyone else had this really dead expression, and I couldn't understand why. [/quote]

JAPAN.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

OK, because Victor/FD are being their usual silly selves and went with the same MC cuts for the Blu-ray as the DVD (shame, shame!), I have to go from other sources, kindly donated by someone who shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons. The transcript for MC #3 has been updated with several entertaining paragraphs about the Tower Records display, and there's a humorous throwback to the Kazeyomi Tour for the sharp-eyed. The cuts in MC #6 were fewer, but more valuable -- aside from one paragraph about the charity postcard, as we all know, the entire birthday cake scene was cut. There isn't much point to having it in a transcript, but I put it there anyway. The only reason I can think of for not putting it in the public release is that maybe they wanted the people who were actually there to feel like they had seen something no one else would ever see. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense to cut out such a wonderful two minutes and 30 seconds.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
Tomosaka

Post by Tomosaka »

[quote="Megumi"][quote="deltafour"] Everyone else had this really dead expression, and I couldn't understand why. [/quote]

JAPAN.[/quote]

No!
It is famous that Maaya's audience is too quiet.:cry:
Of other seiyu artists, such as Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura, audiences are more noisy. :D
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

[quote="Tomosaka"]It is famous that Maaya's audience is too quiet.:cry:[/quote]

But they weren't all that quiet, really. It's just that not many of them were smiling -- that's what confuses me. They were clapping their hands and doing the "kazemachi jet dance" with Maaya, but to my American eyes, not smiling = not having fun. (I know they were in fact having a good time, but it just looks strange to me, that's all.)
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
Yyrkoon70

Post by Yyrkoon70 »

Deltafour, thank you so much for the translation of the MCs!
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

[quote="deltafour"][quote="Tomosaka"]It is famous that Maaya's audience is too quiet.:cry:[/quote]

But they weren't all that quiet, really. It's just that not many of them were smiling -- that's what confuses me. They were clapping their hands and doing the "kazemachi jet dance" with Maaya, but to my American eyes, not smiling = not having fun. (I know they were in fact having a good time, but it just looks strange to me, that's all.)[/quote]

Well it's not true for all the audience....
.... I was smiling and singing and waving all the time I was not crying :)
but the camera never got me, I was too far away...
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

[quote="Yyrkoon70"]Deltafour, thank you so much for the translation of the MCs![/quote]

You're welcome! I hope they're not too hard to follow -- Maaya has a bad habit of not knowing when to finish her sentences.

[quote="Jérôme."].... I was smiling and singing and waving all the time I was not crying :)
but the camera never got me, I was too far away...[/quote]

Well then clearly we need to coordinate our efforts next time and get a whole group from Maaya's sitting on the first row. We can all bring our national flags and drape them over the railing like at the World Cup. Plus if we're all sitting together, one or two people can interpret for the rest, and you won't have to wait five months to find out what Maaya said.
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

Well, I finally watched the whole DVDs from beginning to end.

And I have to apologize. It is really full of emotion.
I was just wrong to want to watch some songs in disorder at first, and on a not so good sound equipement too, this do not restitute the trueness of the show.

I edited my first post, because I don't want people thinking this video is just So-so because of me.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I've just watched the first DVD. I really like it but what's with the autotune on Yukka and mameshiba? (although it was used in a couple of other songs but not nearly to the extent as these two) it sounded as if it was Maaya-bot singing XD She sang really well but I wish they hadn't ironed it out to such an extent that it was noticable... We Are Kazeyomi had a few bumps in her performance but was still enjoyable because that's what live is all about. Maybe they just decided to master this DVD to a higher standard.

Deltafour thought I'd be unhappy with the curling but actually I actually enjoyed everything on stage. I wonder if it's just in the studio that it sounds overpowering.

Despite the vocal mix by the sound editors my other comment was: please can we get the camera crew who shot this concert to do her next PV? Seriously, there were some terrific shots. I particularly liked the soft lense of Maaya during Gift when she's in front of the light and you can see th ebig ribbon on her back. Sort of looks like she has a small pair of red wings. Absolutely stunning in places. I'd much prefer a PV like this concert than clowns, children and floating up and down a hedge 0_0

I loved the soft lense shots so much. I want all of those pictures on my wall nao plz.

Best songs so far:
Private Sky
0331 Medley (yes, all of 'em!)
Feel Myself
Blind Summer Fish

Other comments...I loved the band. I liked them last year too but what was really lovely was how much they all smiled. One of the string players had this big smile on her face, and the bassist too. And the way some of them would sing along sometimes. I guess bands have to be tight to get the best out of their work but it was just really, really nice to see them all enjoying themselves.

Were the MC edits made in the main part of the show or just the encore? I didn't notice anything jarring but maybe I wasn't concentrating...? There were some classic MC's though, the one about her mother's birthday countdown had me in stitches.

And so far, all costumes except white marshmellow have the thumbs up from me. Totally A.W.E.S.O.M.E

First disc has 9/10 score! Take away one point for autotune on Yukka and Mameshiba sounding obvious.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="Jérôme."]Well, I finally watched the whole DVDs from beginning to end.

And I have to apologize. It is really full of emotion.
I was just wrong to want to watch some songs in disorder at first, and on a not so good sound equipement too, this do not restitute the trueness of the show.

I edited my first post, because I don't want people thinking this video is just So-so because of me.[/quote]

Seconded on the emotion part, I.D. was very moving and the M.C's are always worth watching.
Tomosaka

Post by Tomosaka »

[quote="dillpops"]I really like it but what's with the autotune on Yukka and mameshiba? [/quote]

Were Yucca and Mameshiba autotuned in DVD? I can't tell you it, though I was in Budokan. :? Probably someone who has a bootleg of Gift might answer it. :)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="Tomosaka"][quote="dillpops"]I really like it but what's with the autotune on Yukka and mameshiba? [/quote]

Were Yucca and Mameshiba autotuned in DVD? I can't tell you it, though I was in Budokan. :? Probably someone who has a bootleg of Gift might answer it. :) [/quote]

here's last year's to compare. I know it's not much to compare since venues, one year apart, different stages in the concert, different sound team etc. etc. but this year's sounded weird...Actually, watching again I don't think it's autotune, I think it's the way they've mixed the sound in mastering. So not autotune but just post-produced?

I still enjoyed it though, don't get me wrong because I even enjoy Perfume :P but was that what Jerome meant when he was talking about the sound production in his edited post before? I didn't see it, I've been avoiding the thread until I watched the DVD.

Just watched the encore IT WAS SO GOOD! I loved it, especially Pocket and everywhere. I really, really liked everywhere actually. For some reason it was about a bajillion times better than I remember it being. It sounded so nice on piano solo as well. I'd really like a piano solo version to be released...so pretty!

And Kanno looks like bags of fun :lol: she's adorable! (of course, Maaya is adorable too)

The whole thing...

....anothe redit but...OMG THEY CUT BIRDS from the medley but still, omg I'm so pleased with this making of. It's so good!
#F!

Post by #F! »

Finally I have my Blu-ray, and finally I'll watch the show! And thanks for the translations, Deltafour!
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

[quote="dillpops"]
here's last year's to compare. I know it's not much to compare since venues, one year apart, different stages in the concert, different sound team etc. etc. but this year's sounded weird...Actually, watching again I don't think it's autotune, I think it's the way they've mixed the sound in mastering. So not autotune but just post-produced?
[/quote]

This is compressed sound. It's like leveling the output with the higher and lower line at the same time, to make sure everything is listenable, and no one is covering another.

What you hear in Mameshiba and Yukka is the guitar compressed alone followed by the whole band compressed. And yeah, this sucks they couldn't make it more smoothly :x
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I see, so that's why it sounds weird. Does it depend on which speakers you use while watching? i used my PC and a nice pair of speakers but perhaps on my television it would sound more balanced...?

Thanks for the explanation!