New Album “You can't catch me”, January 12 2011 Covers Out

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
nijibug

RE: New Original Album, January 12 2011 release

Post by nijibug »

Gibb wrote: I've been out of the Maaya loop for a while, I hadn't even heard Utsukushii hito yet. I'm listening to nijibug's upload on youtube currently, haha. Great song. :)
Glad I was of help! :D
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I updated the first post with the following:
最新情報 <15周年記念企画第6弾> 7th Original Aubum  収録曲発表第一弾!

菅野よう子、堀込高樹(キリンジ)、冨田恵一、末光 篤(SUEMITSU & THE
SUEMITH)が参加!!

「美しい人」 “遣唐使船再現プロジェクト”テーマソング
 lyrics:坂本真綾 music:菅野よう子 sound produced by 菅野よう子

「ムーンライト(または“きみが眠るための音楽”)」
 lyrics:坂本真綾 music:堀込高樹 sound produced by 冨田恵一

「eternal return」
 lyrics:坂本真綾 music:末光 篤 sound produced by 末光 篤

2010年1月12日発売 全12曲収録
*初回限定盤:VTZL-22/¥3,570(税込)
 武道館LIVEの音源や未発表曲を収録した初CD化したレア盤付き
*通常盤:VTCL-60209/¥3,045(税込)

【初回限定盤付属CD 収録曲】
1.everywhere-opening-
2.Gift
3.ヘミソフィア
4.0331medley(featuring 菅野よう子)
5.I.D.
6.マジックナンバー (featuring 鈴木祥子)
7.everywhere-piano&vocal-

*2010年3月31日日本武道館で行われた15周年記念LIVE「Gift」より
 (M7のみ未発表スタジオ音源)

毎週こちらのサイトで、収録曲が発表されていきます。お楽しみに!
First press will have a bonus disks with live tracks from Maaya's Budokan live *and* a piano version of Maaya singing 'everywhere' :heart:

The disk will also include Utsukushii Hito as well as the following two new tracks:

「Moonlight (or 'music to help you sleep')」
 lyrics:Maaya music:堀込高樹 sound produced by 冨田恵一

「eternal return」
 lyrics:Maaya music:末光 篤 sound produced by 末光 篤

Do the composers or arrangers look familiar to anyone?
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

Suemitsu & the Suemith did Nodame Cantabile opening. Haven't heard of the other guys.

BTW, Everywhere piano ver. is an "unreleased studio version". So maybe it will be piano all the way?
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

roxfan wrote: BTW, Everywhere piano ver. is an "unreleased studio version". So maybe it will be piano all the way?
I can't tell...is that asterisked part supposed to refer to "everywhere", or is it referring to the yet-to-be-announced track (未発表曲?) that's included as a first press bonus? My guess is the "everywhere" in this release is straight from the concert and not a new version. :-/ Maybe Maaya will explain more on this week's Vitamin M.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I'm thinking it will be a full piano and vocal track as opposed to the live version...or I hope it will be. But woo!

EDIT: also pulling a quote from Luminaire across to share with everyone here:
Horigome Takaki (堀込高樹) is one half of Kirinji, and has composed for Toki Asako, SMAP and My Little Lover amongst others. Tomita Keiichi (冨田恵一), or Tomita Lab, is a composer, arranger and producer who's done work for Kirinji, Nakashima Mika, Hirai Ken, BONNIE PINK and collaborated with people like Hatakeyama Miyuki, Ando Yuko, and Hata Motohiro.

Suemitsu Atsushi (末光 篤), or SUEMITSU AND THE SUEMITH, on the other hand, used to be a solo artist with Sony doing piano-rock (those of you who watched the "Nodame Cantabille" anime series will remember his theme song for the show), but left them at the end of 2007 or something. He's now largely a composer, arranger and producer, having written songs for Ando Yuko and Kimura Kaela, the latter being "Butterfly", her biggest hit thus far.

They're really going for a mainstream J-pop sound this time - first the cover song single, and now all these J-pop heavyweights.

And maybe it's just the music freak in me, but was I the only one who got excited seeing all those names? ^^;;

deltafour wrote:
roxfan wrote: BTW, Everywhere piano ver. is an "unreleased studio version". So maybe it will be piano all the way?
I can't tell...is that asterisked part supposed to refer to "everywhere", or is it referring to the yet-to-be-announced track (未発表曲?) that's included as a first press bonus? My guess is the "everywhere" in this release is straight from the concert and not a new version. :-/ Maybe Maaya will explain more on this week's Vitamin M.
(M7のみ未発表スタジオ音源)

Actually, re-reading the astrisk I'm pretty sure it will be a new, studio recorded 'piano and vocal' version. Doesn't that 未発表 mean previously unpresented i.e. unreleased...?
Last edited by dillpops on 2010-10-12 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

dillpops wrote: Actually, re-reading the astrisk I'm pretty sure it will be a new, studio recorded 'piano and vocal' version.
Ah, I see what you and roxfan are getting at now. If I had slowed down maybe I would have caught it the first time. That M7 threw me off until I realized it was talking about track 7. I can't recall ever seeing individual tracks referred to with that syntax.

Hmm...$44 for the first press edition. Maybe the Bank of Japan take pity on us international fans and figure out some way to turn the exchange rate around by January.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

Mnn naming is nothing unusual in Japanese music. I think it comes from the animation process - the [music] director can use such IDs instead of full track names in the storyboard. This can be seen on the track list of the Gunbuster CDs - the tracks have both long names and M numbers.
Sometimes it's used when the tracks have no official title. See e.g. Yuki Kajiura's OSTs that were bundled with LEs of Kara no Kyokai movies or Key the Metal Idol BGM discs.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

OK, that makes perfect sense when you explain it -- thank you! Come to think of it, I have a soundtrack lying around somewhere that uses the M# format, but for some reason I never made the mental connection between those numbers and track numbers.
kyoy

Post by kyoy »

The album's up for preorder at cdjapan now.

Limited edition
Regular edition

Need to start saving up again~
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Good job tomorrow's payday...but I'm looking forward to having the limited edition disc. They chose some nice highlights of the Budokan concert to put on it. And after hearing Maaya's piano of 'everywhere' I think it might beat the original version on the best of.
jason

Post by jason »

deltafour wrote: Hmm...$44 for the first press edition. Maybe the Bank of Japan take pity on us international fans and figure out some way to turn the exchange rate around by January.
At least the limited edition is only a little more expensive than the regular version. And if you are ordering from CD Japan you aren't paying the 5% Japan tax. Then again you didn't include shipping costs. :P

But who are you kidding, you know you will pay whatever it costs to get the new album and it will be worth every penny. :D
Last edited by jason on 2010-10-14 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster of MaayaSakamoto.net fansite
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Unfortunately, we are all slaves to Maaya's will -_-;;
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

jason wrote: But who are you kidding, you know you will pay whatever it costs to get the new album and it will be worth every penny. :D
So very, very true...might as well put in my preorder now and get it over with. :)
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

dillpops wrote: Unfortunately, we are all slaves to Maaya's will -_-;;
"Unfortunately"???
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I think CDJapan got a bit excited though, their front page has 'New album with Yoko Kanno' which kind of implies it's completely Kanno produced like they used to be when I read it earliar...

Maybe I'm overly sensitive :P