New Album “You can't catch me”, January 12 2011 Covers Out

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Jérôme.

RE: New Album “You can't catch me”, January 12 2011 release

Post by Jérôme. »

jason wrote: I was thinking the same thing too. Maaya seems to be taking a similar approach to the new album as she did with Yuunagi Loop. But that makes me feel apprehensive because I didn't like Yuunagi Loop much at all.
Same here...
It was the LOOP related released that made me take distances with Maaya some years ago, and I came back in following her closely thanks to the Kazeyomi Tour.

I don't know all this people involved in her songs. But I expect Maaya releasing quality material, musically speaking. A good production is a good point, but I don't care of stuff that is *only* well produced. My worst nightmare is a full
Honey Comb album....
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I agree with speculation that it seems from the collaborators that Maaya is testing new waters but I really don’t think it will be ‘another Yuunagi LOOP’ i.e. full of songs I don’t listen to. She now has three albums under her belt and the experience that goes with that. She’s got the know-how. So let's not start being all apprehensive till we get previews ^^;;

Basically, I agree with Jerome, I expect Maaya to release something that is quality ^_^

The only thing different about this album from Kazeyomi is a) the collaborations are higher profile and b) she’s stepped back on the lyrics front from the revelations so far but the others might all be self-penned.

I’m just happy for an album. By the way, I love Sukima Switch so I’m really looking forward to that track. Love, love, love them.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

Right, when I mentioned Yuunagi Loop I meant it only in the sense that her approach to creating the music will probably be the same -- experimental, with a lot of variety. I'm in line with everyone else in that I think Yuunagi Loop wasn't all that great of an album (I still wonder today if I really should have spent the money on it), but I expect this new album to be much better, music-wise.

I'm interested in hearing some songs from the artists Maaya's working with here -- does anyone have any "You've gotta listen to this!" kind of recommendations? Bonus points for YouTube or similar links.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

dillpops wrote: The only thing different about this album from Kazeyomi is a) the collaborations are higher profile and b) she’s stepped back on the lyrics front from the revelations so far but the others might all be self-penned.
I actually find strange there is no more full Maaya tracks (Music+Lyrics) as Everywhere announced.... But as long there is no full track list given, we just have to wait and see...

I also hope most of the tracks have been recorded by the Maaya-Dream-Band. They deserve to work with her.
deltafour wrote: I'm in line with everyone else in that I think Yuunagi Loop wasn't all that great of an album (I still wonder today if I really should have spent the money on it)
The answer is simple : NO FEAR :heart:
Last edited by Jérôme. on 2010-10-21 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

Jérôme. wrote: The reply is simple : NO FEAR :heart:
And this is precisely why I ended up buying it. "NO FEAR" was honestly the only track I really wanted, and after hearing it on the Kazeyomi DVD I just had to get a copy. At the time, Yuunagi Loop was the only option. Had I held out a little longer, I could have bought it as part of the best-hits release.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

deltafour wrote:
And this is precisely why I ended up buying it. "NO FEAR" was honestly the only track I really wanted, and after hearing it on the Kazeyomi DVD I just had to get a copy. At the time, Yuunagi Loop was the only option. Had I held out a little longer, I could have bought it as part of the best-hits release.
I'm not sure it's the only track...I like...er...four tracks. As in 'properly' like. But I do really like the lyrics for the song Yuunagi LOOP even if I don't listen to it ^^;;; but 'Fuyu desu ka' and 'wakaba' are lovely!

Jerome, I agree. I had thought we would get more compositions but the time it takes to compose...she might not have had time. It's not like she's a pro or anything. Maybe she'll be inspired again.

Although there is still time for it to be announced. Maybe she has and we just haven't heard about it yet...

@deltafour:

Sukima Switch: ナユタとフカシギ is a really nice album. Especially 8ミリメートル

Quoting Luminaire again...
Suemitsu Atsushi (末光 篤), or SUEMITSU AND THE SUEMITH, on the other hand, used to be a solo artist with Sony doing piano-rock (those of you who watched the "Nodame Cantabille" anime series will remember his theme song for the show), but left them at the end of 2007 or something. He's now largely a composer, arranger and producer, having written songs for Ando Yuko and Kimura Kaela, the latter being "Butterfly", her biggest hit thus far.
I do like 'butterfly'.

I don't know the others off the top of my head but it might be good to wikipedia them on the Japanese version and see what comes up.
Last edited by dillpops on 2010-10-21 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
jason

Post by jason »

deltafour wrote:
But how could call yourself a diehard Maaya fan without owning all her albums?! ;)
Webmaster of MaayaSakamoto.net fansite
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Thus I'm a livesoft Maaya fan.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

jason wrote:
deltafour wrote:
But how could call yourself a diehard Maaya fan without owning all her albums?! ;)
I think you'd be surprised how many people don't seem to have Grapefruit or Dive either 0_o
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

dillpops wrote: I think you'd be surprised how many people don't seem to have Grapefruit or Dive either 0_o
I think DIVE is worth buying. For the past several weeks I've been listening to Maaya's early songs more than her new releases. "kodoku" is one of my favorites at the moment, and there are four or five other tracks from DIVE that I listen to regularly.

Grapefruit, on the other hand...I still haven't bought it, and I'm not sure I ever will. I guess I'll have to turn in my fan card, since I'm not worthy of it... ;)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

You're right DIVE is worth buying. I think it's amazing, it really is such a well put together album. The construction is just...beautiful. I can listen to it straight through without skipping anything. And the finale of Kodoku and Dive is such a great way to end the album. I really like the lyrics of the songs too. A combination of all my favourite Maaya lyricists.

Grapefruit is, in my opinion, is an annoying album because most of it's good songs are already on her best album or Hotchpotch but I really, really want 'sono mama de iin da' and 'grapefruit' the song. Which means I have to shell out for it T_T I cannot resist those two songs in my collection.

Maybe get it second hand...?

To think I didn't appreciate DIVE till I was 23 - Maaya was such a mature teenager T_T
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

dillpops wrote: To think I didn't appreciate DIVE till I was 23 - Maaya was such a mature teenager T_T
I know, right? :heart:

Dive is heartbreakingly beautiful. I think (outside of her songs for Escaflowne) that is one of the earliest of Maaya's I fell in love with.

I remember being 15 and really put out one day. A friend was listening to her mp3 player, noticed, and put her headphones on me. "Dive" was playing, and she just smiled and said, "I know you really like this one."
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

People, time to come back to the thread topic, I guess ;)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Thanks to deltafour's most helpful link to his wikipedia I have found out the Sukima Switch guy produced Hajime Chitose's ended for Blood+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn8IeB9B0mU

Beautiful song, guys. And since I like Sukima Switch generally I'm getting a little excited for his work with Maaya.
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

the limited edition of her new album includes some unreleased stuff from budokan.
so they hid something from us? uaaaaaaaaaa i wanna know. all the cuts i saw in the blu-ray ><

i dont like it too much when shes not writing her lyrics. the down town songs were also written from others. like some1 tells her what she has to sing about pretending its important to her.
but i can also understand it because if you make alot of music professionally you dont always got something important to say. maybe shes also enjoying it to be in the role where she can take some distance from a song. singing it from a different perspective. so im trying to enjoy it as well.

but plz make at least 1 song written by you if you wanna tell us something so that the song will get as great as kazamidori.

im sry if i sound ignorant but all the other stacks of names you all mentioned here... idc lol.
they mean nothing to me. & wohooo i got all albums and every cd is a treasure for me. had to hold all albums in my hands. at least the albums you know? or i would feel trimmed.

looks like next year will be similar to 2009. new album came & later a tour. i can remember that time back then very good - january 2009. time is ticking away so fast.