New Album “You can't catch me”, January 12 2011 Covers Out

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

RE: New Album “You can't catch me”, January 12 2011 Covers Out

Post by kirei_lanford »

aww... i wish it were included in the LE version cd :(
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Kimi no sei!

Ticket: Currently request for translations XD

Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Topia Lyrics Translation, maybe slightly image an Adult love..

Kids, stay away from reading it! until you are 18 XD

Yeah, it's Utopia.. though I wonder where the 'U' gone missing..
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

Finally listened to my copy, so I can come back to the thread.

I wanted to like this album. I really did, but it's just not what I was hoping for. It starts out well enough -- himitsu and utsukushii hito are wonderful, eternal return and kimi no sei are OK, DOWN TOWN I still don't like -- but most everything after that is rather blah. tegami has potential, but it should be longer and should have been a guitar-only accompaniment.

In my opinion, the slow songs fail because there are too many layers of instruments, and because Maaya spends too much time playing around on the black keys. I don't know how else to put it, but it sounds like she's trying to emulate that "diva voice", except Maaya doesn't have that sort of voice to begin with. She's always sounded best with simple vocal melodies and simple accompaniments (neko to inu, uchuuhikoushi no uta, Daniel, NO FEAR, Gravity…the list goes on and on), but I guess the new people she worked with don't know her well enough to know this. Kanno and Suzuki are probably the only composers who can come up with decent slow tracks for Maaya.

Time to start counting down to album #8 for me (I tend to prefer Maaya's even-numbered albums to her odd-numbered ones anyway). In any case, I think that's enough raining on the YCCM parade. I now return you to your regularly scheduled Maaya love.
Last edited by deltafour on 2011-01-24 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I just listened to Down-Town EP, which I ordered at same time as YCCM... I think they should have add all 3 tracks and not just Down Town to YCCM, the others 2 are very great (greater IMHO) and would have upped the general level of YCCM.
As the album is very short (less than an hour), is would have not been a space problem to add some already released tracks...
:angel: Life is on Maayas, and the posts are hope and promise... :angel:
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

Jérôme. wrote: I think they should have add all 3 tracks and not just Down Town to YCCM, the others 2 are very great (greater IMHO) and would have upped the general level of YCCM.
Yeah, I had my fingers crossed for a while, hoping yasashisa ni tsutsumareta nara would make it into YCCM as well, but then everyone who bought DOWN TOWN would wonder why they shelled out for the single if it was just going to be thrown wholesale into the next album. Plus, has Maaya ever released an album that included a coupling track from a single? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

deltafour wrote: Plus, has Maaya ever released an album that included a coupling track from a single? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Pilot/Hashiru (Dive), Mameshiba/Kuuki to Hoshi (Lucy).
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

deltafour wrote: Yeah, I had my fingers crossed for a while, hoping yasashisa ni tsutsumareta nara would make it into YCCM as well, but then everyone who bought DOWN TOWN would wonder why they shelled out for the single if it was just going to be thrown wholesale into the next album. Plus, has Maaya ever released an album that included a coupling track from a single? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Down Town/Yasashisa... is actually a double-A side, so Yasashisa... isn't technically a coupling track, it's an A-side too just like Down Town. Comparing it to other regular singles doesn't quite work. You'd have to compare it to Kazemachi Jet/Spica, etc.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

i'd love it if yasashisa ni were included in the album :D

@delta
certainly a diva atmosphere, but that does not only apply to the slow songs.. even himitsu has that diva thingy :D
and about the slow songs.. im not really into this types of arrangement, those who often appears with big artists that has strong voice >> a lot of them lack depth
but i kinda like the vocal line for one or two song (moonlight and topia) :D
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

roxfan wrote:
deltafour wrote: Plus, has Maaya ever released an album that included a coupling track from a single? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
There's also both Yubiwa and Vector on Nikopachi (although the Yubiwa version is different...)
jason

Post by jason »

dillpops wrote:
roxfan wrote:
There's also both Yubiwa and Vector on Nikopachi (although the Yubiwa version is different...)
Nikopachi is a best collection, so makes sense there would be c/w tracks on it. I suspect deltafour was excluding any best collections in his question.
Last edited by jason on 2011-01-26 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster of MaayaSakamoto.net fansite
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

Imurann wrote: Topia Lyrics Translation, maybe slightly image an Adult love..

Kids, stay away from reading it! until you are 18 XD

Yeah, it's Utopia.. though I wonder where the 'U' gone missing..
only at half reading it.. yet.. 0__
maaya has someone she wait at home?? damn.. she's married or once lived with a man. damn crazy lucky man XD
actually a little bit sad.. who's the guy? she didn't deserve that really... must be one special guy
Last edited by kirei_lanford on 2011-01-29 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

jason wrote:
dillpops wrote:
roxfan wrote:
Nikopachi is a best collection, so makes sense there would be c/w tracks on it. I suspect deltafour was excluding any best collections in his question.
Tis not a best of, it's a single collection :angel:
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Following on from being number one, Maaya was featured on TV this week:

http://maayasakamoto.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ke-up.html
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

dillpops wrote: Following on from being number one, Maaya was featured on TV this week:

http://maayasakamoto.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ke-up.html
Wikipedia says she was in the 1994 dub of the 1985 TV movie version of "Alice in Wonderland" -- so she was 13/14? That could be an amusing watch in Japanese.

Funny how she spends more time looking at the floor than at the interviewer. She may be 30, but she's still shy when she's meeting new people. Quite a contrast from how she is in the "making of" clips on the concert DVDs.