Your story with Maaya!

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
mood

Your story with Maaya!

Post by mood »

tell me your story how you were led to her beautful music :)

i know her since summer 2001, dlled her from a site where a lot of japanese artists were listed. and then it got me :) this disease noone can curse^^ maaya-itis +lol+
her music means so much to me, it helped me through all these years. often i stoped listening to her songs but i always came back to them! i can't say that about many other artists! she's so joung and has done so much yet, amazing. i hope she will release another 100 albums for us :)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I found her while downloading a bunch of anime music ^_^ everyone always freaks out about 'yakusoku wa iranai' so I wanted to see what the fuss was about. And I LOVED it. Then I heard 'getsuyou no asa' and was hooked! I just loved her ^^ and when I found Jpop and found Maaya had MORE songs, I was even more hooked!

She was pretty, cute, I loved Escaflowne so she was the perfect choice. The music wasn't bad either. I opened my Maaya Sakamoto website on November 25th 2002 and it's been up ever since!
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

There was a time when FoxKids tv and Teletoon were both showing some anime. (this was a few years ago).
FoxKids was showing Escaflowne, and Teletoon showed Macross Plus. For some reason I went nuts over Macross Plus (I didn't even see it all :oops: ), so I went and started downloading as much music from it as I could find.
Through there I found the name 'Yoko Kanno', which after some Googling led me to 'The Yoko Kanno Project' (amazing webiste).
On that site (in the discography section), I was 'Esacflowne' and went "HEY!", sampled some of the songs, and stopped dead in my computer tracks when I heard 'Kaze ga Fuku Hi'.
That was it. I was in love.
There were also samples of some tracks from 'Lucy', 'Grapefruit', 'HotchPotch' and 'Dive' so I was really hooked.....*The YK Project also has a link to maayasakamoto.net*

hehe...Longish, I know, but I actually remember exactly how it happened!
^_^
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

I also fell in love with Maaya when Escaflowne aired here in Portugal, by 2001 Spring. I just started to download the OSTs and I reallly liked her voice, so, when I already had all the OSTs, I downloaded some of her other anime songs, like Platina and Kiseki no Umi. Then I became addicted XD
Now I don't listen to her music/role because of a certain anime series, I watch the anime because of her ^^
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Escaflowne was aired in France in autumn 1999, in january 2000 I have bought the CDs and discover her voice, I really liked Yakusoku wa iranai, and in April I have bought Dive and Hotchpotch by curiosity.
I fell in love ! :P
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Somebody had sent me arcadia, and then wanting to know more about kanno, I downloaded a stream of things on audiogalaxy (man, that program was great!). One of the first ones was Kiseki no Umi. Well from that I just had to know more......i've never stopped listening to her since then. That must have been about 2001.
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

[quote="misssakura"]Somebody had sent me arcadia[/quote]

I love that song so much......
It's just gorgeous.
One of my favourites from Esca.
:wacko:
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

[quote="Chibikko"][quote="misssakura"]Somebody had sent me arcadia[/quote]

I love that song so much......
It's just gorgeous.
One of my favourites from Esca.
:wacko:[/quote]

Yes its so powerful, especially where its used as well...permanent chills! Along with chorale, i think its one of her most poignant vocal works!
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

hmmm...in 2000, Card Captor Sakura aired here in Brazil...my friend was a jpop addicted already, i didnt even know how to use a internet browser....so, both of us were sakura fan, he said that he found a great ccs song, i asked him to show me...in the next day he brought his md and that was the first time i listened to "Platinum" (in fact, here we call platina, i dun know why) ... since then i dl every Sakamoto-sama song...waaa...she could do a global project: Maaya travels AROUNNND the WORLD!! XD
"Missing someone doesnt mean you are apart but that one day you were together"
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

[quote="Yuki-chan"]Maaya travels AROUNNND the WORLD!! XD[/quote]

Yeah, that would be really cool XD especially if she went also here, Portugal.
Even though my country is a declining one :oops: [/size]
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
koocho

Post by koocho »

I remember the first time when i downloaded Vector from a page which i can not remember quite well; it was like phoenix something. Anyway in this page have a lot of Mp3 of several anime and j-pop groups, i founded that page because i liked one anime called saber marionete J and i was looking for the main theme which sings Megumi Hayashibara, but once i was there i found other groups and singers like x japan, hitomi, l'arc en ciel etc. and i found this song called vector from Maaya Sakamoto and that was it... i get nuts about her!!!
Then i search her song on Napter (the old one and only free Napster) not the crapy one they leave now, then on Audiogalaxy which in the good old days have mostly all of Maaya tracks...
Since then maybe mid 1999 till now i haven't get tired of her voice.
I hope she continue to travel to other anime conventions over the world and who knows, maybe she come to Mexico.
Sorry for the Extensive description but that was my history.
dirron

RE: Your story with Maaya!

Post by dirron »

Imurann wrote: You Dirron, I accept you as the new generation. When did you firstly met Maaya, and what's is your first impression and song that comes along with it?

One does not simply like "the instrumental ver." and gets away with it. Share some more XD
I think the first song I've ever heard from Maaya was Platina, but only because CCS was always on TV, I never really knew about her then. But the song that really introduced me to Maaya was Loop. I got down to watch Tsubasa Chronicles. "Nee kono machi ga~" that was the line that I first heard, and I absolutely love the way that song started for the ED everytime an episode ends. I thought it definitely fits as an ED for that anime despite the depressing story. I realised then that I ABSOLUTELY have to find the singer's name. And courtesy of Gendou.com (I was an internet noob at the time, didn't know about wikipedia whatsoever), I learned about Maaya Sakamoto.

After finding out her name, her works etc. I went on to search for any album of hers just to get a taste of what she's all about. Dive was the first album I listened to. I listened and listened and I cannot believe what I was listening to. The songs in there were absolute masterpiece. The songs,her voice, was unlike any other. I couldn't believe what I was missing out all these years. Of course, I wasn't able to like all the songs. Neko to Inu and Pilot for example was a little weird for me. But I got around to liking them after listening a couple more times. Although I rarely listen to Dive anymore apart from Kodoku, Yukka and Dive, the album remains my favourite one to date. Although, It's ironic that the song that introduced me to Maaya was from my least favourite album.

To make up for all the time wasted. I decided to find her whole discography and listened to them all. I eventually got around to buy her Budoukan Concert Blu-Ray Disc. I was extremely lucky to get the First Press Edition of it. It was also the happiest day of my life xD (If my house was on fire it would be the first thing I save).

Maaya was like a Goddess to me. Her voice is so soothing and flawless I felt like it was out of this world. I think it was because of the lack of live footage of her prior to Kazeyomi Concert. After watching Kazeyomi concert it finally occured to me that she is also human lol. I cringed when she forgot some of the lines to yubiwa (which was also one of my favourite song).

When I first saw a picture of Maaya I thought she was averagely pretty, nice looking girl. Some bad photos of her made her look older than she was though xD. Although I must say that she's looking better nowadays.

I've been a passionate Maaya fan for about 6 years now. Not anywhere longer than most of you guys here but ever since then I listen to her almost everyday. I did took a break from her songs for a few months though. Blame it on KPOP hehe.

p.s.: Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I'm also interested on everyone else's Maaya Story.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Mine' was Platina, well at that time I was attracted to the spaced out looks on Sakura's face during the Opening song.. at that time there was NO translations, and I know Nothing about Japanese language at all. But there was a spark between me and that song, but I was not really onto Maaya alone. I looked at the writer and found Iwasato Yuho, an Aunt with almost the same age as my mum. Then I traced the songs to Miki Imai and found more songs, that really is meaningful to me. I learned Japanese slowly there for the last 12 years, through songs.

It changed my perception, my brain totally. How I see things is rather following the heart and soul of based on what Yuho have been teaching in her writings in all those years, and years back that I managed to dig up (I'm pretty good with this somehow).

I have found out, it was not as easy as one can think it is. It was like a puzzle for over 30 years and more in length.. and the more I dig the more I found. I think those whom spent time understanding those words, can truly be her real student. I doubt there are one whom is willing to spend 10-20 years of his/her life just to look into a single literacy work. That's probably pointless, but I'm actually doing it honestly to learn something from literacy, her literacy.

Maaya as a writer, I've seen her works are directly from her heart. Not many people does this now, but if they did it's awesome right :D
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
dirron

Post by dirron »

Imurann wrote:...But there was a spark between me and that song...
I know right! That spark is priceless! That is why for me, first impression is everything. For an anime OP or ED it's twice more important because most people I know skip the whole thing just to watch the anime.

If I have to be honest, I really never paid any attention at all to her lyrics and I feel bad for it all the time. I'm very bad at literature so I naturally never made any effort understanding lyrics, not even for songs in languages that I can understand. I usually only listen to songs that I like musically.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese, but I really lack determination for something like that. Although I do understand a bit of Japanese from watching all those animes, but I hope someday to be able to watch them without eng subs.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

I can't remember which one was the first.. watching "purachina" on tv and then found out more about the song when the local radio station aired it or heard "yubiwa" on my friend's winamp :S (just before he lent me his escaflowne movie dvd)

But the one that really hooked me into maaya was "tomodachi", the 2nd song i listened after yubiwa. I know i've mentioned this a few times, but i STILL can't forget that time when i walked home along that long road.. with "tomodachi" ringing inside my head like there was a whole opera building inside my brain. That song, for me, is the cupid's arrow. so, though "tomodachi" is not in my top list anymore.. it remain a very special for me.

Then i accidentally heard "hikari no naka e" from the net when i was lurking randomly.. I can't run away from maaya since then XD.. And "hikari no naka e" is still the song i love most, from any artist. "Hotchpotch" was my 1st album. It's really hard at that time finding maaya's album, and i was really lucky to get one (though not 1st hand original)..

I can't lie.. music composition & arrangement is the one that made consider maaya's songs as "different than the others". If it's not for Kanno, then i wouldn't have fell in love with maaya's songs...
And maaya is such a brilliant performer who could suited Kanno's various music colors with her wide vocal characteristics.

I didn't really care about the lyric, not until a few years later after i found several well-build fansites that have her lyric.. Only then i knew that not only the songs, but many of the lyric were also well made.

I know i can't get enough of her ;)
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.