New album 'driving in the silence' - November 2011

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Imurann
Posting Freak

RE: New album 'driving in the silence' - November 2011

Post by Imurann »

Mm.. sometimes I believed Maaya makes her own lyrics when singing the songs.. happens many times when I listened to some of the concert recordings by anonymous people. One unique part of her, many of the original words were there, but small slight changes for those whom actually listens to them. The songs are evolving from time to time, if we see from that perspective.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

I love YCCM ): I didn't know people find it horrible.
I prefer Kazeyomi but love a lot of tracks in YCCM.

And I didn't know she's got a bad english accent, from a french point of view, it's ok, it's the better accent that I can myself give ):
Japanese have horrible accent so I was surprised with this song ! I found it good, oh my XD
Last edited by Megumi on 2011-11-11 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Aria

Post by Aria »

I don't know if I'm reading it wrong (I really just matched up kanji), but isn't homemade christmas composed by the same person from School Food Punishment? This may account for the "synthesizer weirdness" you seem to be experiencing?
Looking at here: http://www.uta-net.com/song/121518/

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It did come as a slight surprise when it started, but I didn't dislike it or anything.

As for melt the snow in me, I kind of enjoy the way she blends some of her English syllables together, her voice is just so smooth and soothing and it really flows...but then again, I'm not the kind of person who pays much attention to lyrics, but rather the overall sound.

With first few listens, I really love Sayonara Santa, Melt the snow in me, and I enjoy Tatoeba Ringo... I think the others will grow on me.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

-driving in the silence is good, yet too short.. -__ --> 7.5/10, the low score is due to length
-sayonara santa, hell yeah.... as we all know before, this song is definitely one of the the highlights in this album >. --> 8.0/10
-melt the snow in me.. the full version is better than the short one. i really like the middle eight part :) --> 8.0/10
-homemade christmas.. i quite enjoy this song, the chorus is quite addictive though being repeated endlessly 7.5/10
-kotoshi ichiban,.. relaxing song. the chorus is what makes the song great.. "ososugita no... haya sugita no"... i like this part. probably the best song in the album. 8.25/10
-tatoeba ringo blabla, hmm.. i need some time to grab the melody of this song. quite catchy instrument though.. 7.5/10
-kyokuya,.. really interesting sound work such in melt the snow in me.. 8/10
-chikai,.. nice melody from maaya, but as somebody else has said, it kinda lost some weight when entering chorus. 7.5/10
-last song.... i can't rate it obviously..

Overall, a nice album with solid sound work and solid theme as overall. i quite enjoy this mini album and might be repeating it for some time before getting bored.. Better than 30 minutes night flight since in this album i can't skip even one song >.
Last edited by kirei_lanford on 2011-11-12 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

The synth when it comes in with the bass right at the start really sets my teeth on edge. It's not a bad song but the synth itself just doesn't sit well with me. I spend a lot of time listening to Capsule and Yasataka stuff from Perfume so it's not a problem with it being synth, it just doesn't sound good in my ears. Once the song gets into the verse and chourus it's fine but the beginning when it comes in makes my hair stand on end. Just not my thing, I guess.

Maaya commented on Vitamin M on Friday that she wants this to be a CD you listen to just in winter. Putting it away when spring comes and then when you think 'Wow, it feels like winter today' at the end of autumn you get it out again. A winter luxury, so to speak!

@Bluwacky: I really like the lyrics. Maaya used to be really wordy in her early lyrics but since 30 Minutes I think she's really streamlined her expressions (makes it both easier and more difficult to translate...) down into something that seems simple in comparison but still has emotion :)

They all make really good use of winter imagery :)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Interesting facts from the official interview for the album from Maaya's site:

- 'driving in the silence' the song was actually recorded during the Kazeyomi album sessions but never got put on a CD.
- at the lives in December Maaya is going to sing all three mini albums from start to finish completely!
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I didn't received mine yet *___*
wait a bit and I take part in the debate ;)
:angel: Life is on Maayas, and the posts are hope and promise... :angel:
countdown65

Post by countdown65 »

Imagine if the record label release a 3 CD box with the EP songs in live versions or a DVD release? O.O
IDLING TALK! Fan Podcast Presenter, with Nikki (on hiatus)
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql6i2bXQYvY[/video]

I sense it's volcaloid.. meh :P
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

Looks like it got #3 on Oricon weeklies!

kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

looking that its only 10k less than yui's album.. i say it's not bad :D
though i think it's yui's album which didn't perform well..
not a bad first week..
how is the position (in sales) of this album compared to other album, again??
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

YCCM was Maaya's first album at no.1 in January. But this is a mini-album without any singles to promote it whereas YCCM had a single as well as the Yoko Kanno song out beforehand as promotion. I'd say for a concept album and mini-album it's done rather well to get into the top three.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

kotoshi ichiban would sound perfect during relaxing time at winter.. the sound of birds and instrument.. contra bass and all... i really enjoyed this song. and the choruses are build with a decent bridge too :)
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

nobody seems to comment driving in the silence pv :D
seriously.. if this song is a complete song, it might be the best song in this album. it's something else.. :)
countdown65

Post by countdown65 »

kirei_lanford wrote: nobody seems to comment driving in the silence pv :D
seriously.. if this song is a complete song, it might be the best song in this album. it's something else.. :)
I fell in love with that song, and I think this is the first maaya´s PV that makes sense e_e xD She is in a car, in the silence (?)
Last edited by countdown65 on 2011-11-26 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
IDLING TALK! Fan Podcast Presenter, with Nikki (on hiatus)