'More Than Words'- Yoko Kanno and Yuho Iwasato Return in 2012

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
gradualpetrify

RE: 'More Than Words'- Yoko Kanno and Yuho Iwasato Return in 2012

Post by gradualpetrify »

That video is defenitly an approvement from the vids from last year, but still a class difference in comparison to videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlwCZm2MQbQ&feature=plcp
lol at the thing at 1:29
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I don't think you can compare the budgets available for Utada Hikaru music videos with the ones for Maaya. There's only a limited amount of money available for less popular artists, unfortunately.

I really liked 'Sayonara Santa' as a video, though. The location, costumes and cinematography were all really nice. Very wintery!!
Aria

Post by Aria »

I didn't think More Than Words was such a hard listen when just listening to it overall...I wonder if you all meant that the lyrics and intention were hard to grasp then? Because I liked it the first time through due to more emphasis on Maaya's vocals (as opposed to how the vocals and instrumental have been equally highlighted lately, but that was nice too) and that mysterious quality the song has.

I've just realized though, that I am getting a kind of winter feeling from it too (I think the color scheme of the PV helped with this although her outfit is more summer-like.) I wonder how this song would have felt on Driving in the Silence...? (but of course, I can't understand the lyrics at this point so perhaps in that way, it wouldn't fit.)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Aria wrote: I didn't think More Than Words was such a hard listen when just listening to it overall...I wonder if you all meant that the lyrics and intention were hard to grasp then? Because I liked it the first time through due to more emphasis on Maaya's vocals (as opposed to how the vocals and instrumental have been equally highlighted lately, but that was nice too) and that mysterious quality the song has.
Taking something like 'Sayonara Santa' or 'Gift' and then comparing it to 'More Than Words', I would have said the latter is a hard listen. It didn't grab me and go THIS IS SO CATCHY I LOVE IT on the first time.

It sounded good, and was interesting, and certainly worthy of attention but it needed several listens to actually 'hear' it and enjoy it fully. I'm not saying I didn't like it at first, though.

Although to each his own, one person's favourite song might be another's nemesis :D
jason

Post by jason »

dillpops wrote: I don't think you can compare the budgets available for Utada Hikaru music videos with the ones for Maaya. There's only a limited amount of money available for less popular artists, unfortunately.

I really liked 'Sayonara Santa' as a video, though. The location, costumes and cinematography were all really nice. Very wintery!!
I don't think comparing Maaya to Utada makes sense in general. The two artists have very different singing styles and performances. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

In terms of the More than Words PV, it was pretty boring in my opinion. Sayonara Santa is definitely one of Maaya's best, and I think the Himitsu one is my favorite of the recent past.
Last edited by jason on 2012-06-14 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster of MaayaSakamoto.net fansite
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Gonna wait for the full PV out first.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

gradualpetrify wrote: That video is defenitly an approvement from the vids from last year, but still a class difference in comparison to videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlwCZm2MQbQ&feature=plcp
lol at the thing at 1:29
graphics are not everything ^^
just how much is the cost of this video? but imo it's one of the best pv ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vA1zT6oqOs

favorite pv still this one though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqlZVBcs1Wg

oh noes, this is maaya thread XD
btw.... i like more than words pv,.. the curves are so artistic. simple yet gorgeus.

ps: wish someday kouki tange would make pv for maaya. his pv are more meaningful. Maaya + Kanno + Iwasato + Tange = no size
Last edited by kirei_lanford on 2012-06-14 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

i posted an embarrassing comment in the youtuube page. i hope u guys dont mind XD
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

dillpops wrote: I don't think you can compare the budgets available for Utada Hikaru music videos with the ones for Maaya. There's only a limited amount of money available for less popular artists, unfortunately.
Maybe I chose a bad example. I'm not necessarily talking about expensive vids. Hikkis other PV, the one I posted in the "Music recommendations?" section, was awesome as well. She was in a room the whole time. Couldn't have been that expensive. The idea was just sweet.
jason wrote: I don't think comparing Maaya to Utada makes sense in general. The two artists have very different singing styles and performances. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
I think you overreacting a little bit. I know Hikaru is not Maaya & vice versa, but it's not as unrealistic to compare them as Beethoven with Slipknot.

Both are female solo artists who make Japanese and English songs, & both are listed under the same genre. Maaya is 32 years old, Hikki 29. Not too far ahead as well. Even if you cannot view them equally, it's still possible to compare certain aspects.
Suzuran

Post by Suzuran »

Last edited by Suzuran on 2012-06-25 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Coupling track preview up on Maaya's site - it's really upbeat!
countdown65

Post by countdown65 »

mmm well, it sounds like a B-side. I like it.
IDLING TALK! Fan Podcast Presenter, with Nikki (on hiatus)
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

*Puts in his earplugs*
Hi everyone. The CD seems to have a special external bonus. A CDJapan exclusive postcard with something copied on it! An autograph and a comment. Wow! 20 seconds of love copied on hundreds or thousands (?) of CD's.
Damn! Maaya really must love CDJa... umm, I mean her fans!
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VTZL-44

I know celibrities who even sign 250 pictures for one (!) fan, original. Even if they admit that this is a bit much. I think that 250 is rude. 1 or maybe 5 max. is cool. What is a copy? It's like: Hey, at least my intention was nice. *pats the fan on the head*
Thousand CD's would've taken 4 hours +, with only the autograph. So I would say: Write less, but it's original. It all depends on what is usually sold at CDJapan. I really wonder. Depending on the numbers I could tell you if it was possible or not. But at least like 10 lucky guys who'll get an original. That's not impossible.
ct760ster

Post by ct760ster »

I wonder if it's an handwritten postcard, if that's the case Maaya-neesan must be having a very sore thumb after signing 250+ times her autograph. Anyhow thumbs up ;)
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

I think I miscalculated something. Thousand cards may need just 2 hours.