Help

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

misssakura: does that count my homepage?

I guess the biggest problem some layouts have is that they're made into exact size and not to stretch according to the screen size. Besides looking bad on anything else than the resolution the design was made to, they're often inaccessible on any special system, such as a handheld device...

Yeah, I've been concentrating lately on how to make sites that work on almost anything and still look relatively good :)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Its very difficult to make a good stretching design, if you look at any web design awards (e.g. the webbys), the designs are AWFUL, and I think, so what if it can stretch to a resolution, so what if people can resize the text, the website is to sell a product or to keep my attention and it won't.

I don't actually know anybody with an 800 x 600 resolution, I myself have a 1024 x 780....i'm going to work more on stretched layouts because when it comes to bulky news or php it is usually more practical anyway. But as far as smaller sites go, I think its better to make a very pretty fast loading layout, because most people make snap judgements on the 'product'....so its a tricky one. Just finding that balance....

I t hink its more important to make it look good between 1024 x 780 and 1280 x 1024....(including the reduced height because of googlebars, links etc) because thats what the majority have :)

I didn't know you wanted me to do any design merri :O
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Well I meant afaik my homepage looks good on 800 x 600 and upwards... :)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I wasn't critisizing you ^_^ Its good when people make websites compatible..but webby awards do annoy me because they think compatibility is the be all and end all of web design...
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I've never heard of the Webby's... :3
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

http://www.webbyawards.com/webbys/winners-2004.php is the universally recognised one which isn't as bad but I still find a load of designs to be awful :/

http://www.goldenwebawards.com/official ... nner.shtml feast your eyes on the crappiness
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Wow...