Yoko Kanno ^o^

Place for non-Maaya topics.
chibiNekomancer

Yoko Kanno ^o^

Post by chibiNekomancer »

I don't think anyone does not know who she is, but for those new, she is a great composer that helped Maaya get her career upstarted and currently booming XD

Without floding the post here is a little rare song i found of her. Its the song from Shounen Alice "Call to Me" but Yoko Kanno version :3
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

:o Astounding!
I like that version more than the original.
I NEED that song. Youko, come to me! :note:
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Call to me is originally by Yoko Kanno, Maaya's is a cover :)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I like Maaya's voice better ^^;;; Yoko is too cute!!! But the instrumentals are nicer!
Tenson

From a comercial?

Post by Tenson »

Searching for info about that song I've found that on YKDB:
Shounen Alice Samples (12/03/2003 @16:36)
On Sakamoto's Shounen Alice disco page is some audio samples and some other updates. The "Call to Me" track is actually first heard from a YK CM for NTT DoCoMo sung by (with high probability) "Gabriela Robin". This item was first reported on Sunday, April 6, 2003 @18:58.
Sunday, April 6, 2003 @18:58
There are new CM available by Grand Funk!

The first one is for DoCoMo, Japan's largest wireless phone company.
http://www.grandfunk.net/Japanese/cm/now/nttdocomo.html
also available here:
http://www.docomo-kansai.co.jp/promotio ... index.html

Nothing special of note here.... EXCEPT for the question, who is the singer? My speculation is that it's Gabriela Robin! Post your comments in the tagboard or discuss it in #yokokanno.
Unfortunately the links don't work.

So, the original song is for a comercial? Anyway, I want that song :evil:
chibiNekomancer

What i would be interested in is getting the video too ;3

If there is a complete version, i am not aware. Even getting a better quality sound would be great tough ^^u
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

I can't find the "Kanno version" of Call to Me :cry: Should I try in a Samply Red release?

Where did you find that track Chibinekomancer?
chibiNekomancer

The first time i got it off Novastar's DC hub :O

Second time, i just went over to <a href="http://www.grandfunk.net/top.html">grandfunk</a>!.... wich lucky enough for you, has a link in the main page right now o_o!

But if attachments are working again, here is the music and the video :3

PD. In truth there are 4 versions to the CM... if you like i will upload the rest too ^^
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
mood

Post by mood »

oh thats geat
the clip is a mobile phone advertising? or what?
neopeius

Another potentially unpopular opinion

Post by neopeius »

I first discovered Yoko Kanno with Macross Plus and I was floored. I still have a Macross Plus compilation tape I made which flows like a Sharon Apple concert and I like it a lot. I was similarly impressed with Escaflowne.

As time went on, I've realized that Yoko Kanno doesn't do much that's original. I keep finding songs of hers which sound like compositions of other people--many times she even recycles herself. She's not alone in this habit, of course. John Williams is one of the biggest fans of this technique.

So, I'm not saying I hate Yoko Kanno, or that she hasn't done a lot of good stuff, but she's not the greatest thing since sliced sushi, nor is she particularly innovative and original.

*goes off to find something positive to say before he gets pelted with overripe strawberries*
Sora

Re: Another potentially unpopular opinion

Post by Sora »

[quote="neopeius"]As time went on, I've realized that Yoko Kanno doesn't do much that's original. I keep finding songs of hers which sound like compositions of other people--many times she even recycles herself. She's not alone in this habit, of course. John Williams is one of the biggest fans of this technique.[/quote]
(James Horner too...)[/size]
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
neopeius

Re: Another potentially unpopular opinion

Post by neopeius »

[quote="Sora"]
(James Horner too...)[/size][/quote]

Quite so. ^_^ A friend of mine once pointed out that the current movie composers are not successful because they are innovative but because they have the knack of taking existing music and making it applicable to whatever's on the screen. It makes for good movies if uninspired soundtracks.
slippy

Post by slippy »

What initially drew me to Kanno was her work on Macross Plus as well. And then Escaflowne, which had this major Orff-meets-Monteverdi-meets-Ravel pastiche going on. Kanno doesn't have a strong ear for melody (not as much as, say, Taku Iwasaki), but she's really good with adding moody chromaticism to her instrumental pieces. And many of her orchestral pieces are produced in a chambertronica style a la Bjork or Craig Armstrong. When she's writing straight pop tunes, usually they'll have some interesting contrapuntal rhythm that becomes the hook of the song. Even if they're not really her songs.

I think, lately, my issue with Kanno's work is that she's not so much soundtracking anymore, but matching a random playlist of "Konno jams" to each project. She rarely "scores" a series or movie proper anymore; certainly, not like she did with Escaflowne or (lately) Wolf's Rain. My favorite piece from her is her "Go to Rakuen" piece at the end of the Wolf's Rain OST 2 , and that's basically a montage. But it works great as a montage.

I'm ambivalent about qualifying soundtrack music for originality and innovation, because it's not meant to be as sophisticated or theoretical as "real" classical music.