Yotsuba&!

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Gibb

Yotsuba&!

Post by Gibb »

Yotsuba& (or ????) is a new manga series by Kiyohiko Azuma (Azumanga Daioh). Yotsuba according to the footnotes in the ADV manga footnotes means Four-clover (Four leaf clover). Fitting of her name, the main character is an energetic young girl with green hair and 4 ponytails. The general premise for the story involves the everyday adventures of this country bumpkin type girl learning all about the big city. Yotsuba lives alone with her father, a relatively young guy who's pretty immature. Most of the comic situations come from Yotsuba's interactions with 3 neighbor girls, Ena (14 I think), Fuka (16 or so) and Asagi (19 maybe), who are all sisters, and the fun loving "Jumbo" who is the father's good friend (who is a descendant of giraffes or so he says).

I've bought a copy of this manga for 4 of my friends so far and every single one absolutely loves it. It's a safe for the whole family type manga that will have you crying from laughing so hard.

The above image is fanart from one of the best fanart sites I've ever come across. It's got mostly Azumanga/Yotsuba art, but there is alot of original artwork as well as some other stuff like FLCL and Evangelion.

http://www.niji.or.jp/home/accho/index.html

The home page image has the father, Yotsuba, then some guy and Ena, then some guy and Jumbo. I dont know who those 2 guys are, maybe from later in the series.
Otakuwiki.com: Disgaea 4 (PS3)
Current Avatar: Fuuka from Disgaea 4
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

OHH!! I saw this manga in a shop here in Brazil XD some months ago XD
Is it going to have a tv series? I LUBED AZUMANGA!! TOMO ROX!! omg thats the funniest anime in the world!!!
"Missing someone doesnt mean you are apart but that one day you were together"
Gibb

Post by Gibb »

Considering how popular Azumanga was (here in the US anyway, dont know about Japan) one would think Yotsuba would become an anime as well. I cant find any details about one yet, so perhaps it hasnt been announced. Personally I like manga better than anime because I can read alot quicker than i can sit and watch a series, plus the stories are usually better in manga (not sure why).

side note: Just looking around for Yotsuba details, it seems it was the best selling graphic novel at Waldenbooks last month. I wonder if I had anything to do with that, since I bought 4 of them myself :D
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

[quote="Gibb"]Considering how popular Azumanga was (here in the US anyway, dont know about Japan) one would think Yotsuba would become an anime as well. I cant find any details about one yet, so perhaps it hasnt been announced. Personally I like manga better than anime because I can read alot quicker than i can sit and watch a series, plus the stories are usually better in manga (not sure why).

side note: Just looking around for Yotsuba details, it seems it was the best selling graphic novel at Waldenbooks last month. I wonder if I had anything to do with that, since I bought 4 of them myself :D [/quote]

O_O 4~
i cant even buy 1 T_T
how much is the manga in the USA? XD
Gibb

Post by Gibb »

[quote="Yuki-chan"]
O_O 4~
i cant even buy 1 T_T
how much is the manga in the USA? XD[/quote]

Pretty much every manga I've found has been $10 or close to it. I dont know if that's good or bad. Ten dollars sounds so cheap to me that I end up buying a whole bunch of them @_@.

Just yesterday I bought 7 manga ($75 >_<). Maho Sensei Negima vol. 6 finally came out (w00t, best manga ever!), and I found a couple of new ones like Genshiken and some US manga i've never heard of before. I have an aspiring manga artist as a friend, so I need to support as much US manga as I can ^__^

It's nice to be out of college with a full time job so I can actually afford manga and anime now. I used to be broke when I was in school >_<
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Doesn't manga cost much less in Japan? Like less than toilet paper?
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
ogawa

Post by ogawa »

[quote="Merri"]Doesn't manga cost much less in Japan? Like less than toilet paper?[/quote]

in japan, yotsubato! is 630yens. higher than toilet paper! :)
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

hmm...$10 is kinda expensive here XD
here $1 is R$3 XD
w/ $10 i can buy 3 mc donalds n
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

[quote="ogawa"]in japan, yotsubato! is 630yens. higher than toilet paper! :) [/quote]

That still makes only ~4,76 euros... here manga costs three times that price :(
Sora

Post by Sora »

Manga are between 5~6 and 7~8
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

[quote="Sora"]Manga are between 5~6 and 7~8
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

In Spain the average price is 8
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Ah! I brought number one at the weekend and it is so fun! I think it really is cute. Yotsuba is so completely bizarre :P
Gibb

Post by Gibb »

Volume 2 is out now :)

I dont know what the release dates are like in other countries, but you can find it pretty much anywhere in the states now. As expected, it's crazy awesome so far (i've read the first 3 chapters or so).
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

First, look at the price you have in your local store for Yotsubato. Next... look at this: the about lowest price you can find Yotsubato in Finland. Well, I haven't found a single store where it would've been below 11 euros. Not going to buy as I didn't find Yotsubato as good as I found Azumanga.