Utada Hikaru

Place for non-Maaya topics.
zappa

Post by zappa »

[quote="Sora"][quote="Igamelec"]Sakura Drops and Colors really rock :)

she has a really nice voice and I think she's the one with the very nice unplugged album as well... I listened to it at a friend's place and really enjoyed it but I'm not quite sure if it was her[/quote]
It might have been her, she's one of the very rare Japanese artists who did a MTV Unplugged^^ (I love it by the way ^__^ wonderful unplugged versions *__*)[/quote]

actually she's american O_O!
i mean, she was born there, then she moved to japan right away o.o
something like that!!!!
and Shinjitsu no Uta the 5th ending of inuyasha aint kinda remixed?
i guess o.o
ienai ><
Gibb

Post by Gibb »

Yes indeed. Here is the Wikipedia information about Hikki:

Utada Hikaru (??? ??? or ??? ?, ''Utada Hikaru'') (born January 19, 1983), or "Hikki" as she is known to fans, is a Japanese pop music star. In English-speaking countries, her full name is put in Western order, Hikaru Utada. In an interview, she stated that she plans to use the English-order name to separate her "English" and "Japanese" personas.

She was born in New York City, New York to Japanese parents who both had roots in the Japanese music industry: her father, Teruzane Skingg Utada, was a producer, while her mother, Keiko Fuji, was an enka singer. She made her first professional recording at the age of 12, and recorded her first album, ''Precious'', in 1996 under the pseudonym Cubic U.

She moved to Tokyo later that year and attended The American School in Japan while continuing to record on a new contract with Toshiba/EMI. She soon made her mark on Japanese music with her successful single "Automatic", soon followed by the album ''First Love'', which sold over five million copies in a month during March and April of 1999 and placed Utada among the 100 wealthiest people in Japan. She also broke the record of units sold on a single album in Japan; she still holds the record to this day.

Utada returned to New York in 2000 to attend Columbia University as a freshman, but took leave from it within the year. She continued to record, however, and her two subsequent albums, ''Distance'' (2001) and ''DEEP RIVER'' (2002), also went multi-platinum. Shortly after the release of the latter she announced her marriage to Kiriya Kazuaki, a photographer fifteen years her senior, in September 2002. Her 2004 American debut as an Island Def Jam Music Group artist was met with indifference by an American market already saturated with female pop singers.

Her 2001 song "Can You Keep A Secret" was not released in the United States as a single. Its music video received some attention as part of ''International Week'', which coincided with the 2001 EM...
Otakuwiki.com: Disgaea 4 (PS3)
Current Avatar: Fuuka from Disgaea 4
bad day today

Ask for Opinion

Post by bad day today »

I kind of confused with Utada's recent album, which, although her voice still awesome, but it's changed from Utada I used to know T_T. How about you guys??
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

Yeah, her last album has a desperate attempt to catch the american public attention, meaning a totally different concept from her previous career. IMO, a very bad concept.
She's going to release a new japanese single, by the way. "Be my Last" is the name.

Edit:
There's also the Kingdom Hearts 2 theme song coming soon, which is "Passion". It will probably will released on Winter. "Be My Last" will come out in September's 28th, by the way.
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
chibiNekomancer

Post by chibiNekomancer »

[quote="Bazaa"]Yeah, her last album has a desperate attempt to catch the american public attention, meaning a totally different concept from her previous career. IMO, a very bad concept.
She's going to release a new japanese single, by the way. "Be my Last" is the name.

Edit:
There's also the Kingdom Hearts 2 theme song coming soon, which is "Passion". It will probably will released on Winter. "Be My Last" will come out in September's 28th.[/quote]

I wonder if "Be my Last" will be just as catchy as "Hikari" 9_9
i like her songs, but sometimes they are weird, they must be the new tracks you mention.

I hope Maaya does not try to change her style to make american funs happy =_=
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Aibou

Post by Aibou »

I thought the English album was pretty good... I'm not afraid for changes. :)
bad day today

Post by bad day today »

Inspite of how the album was, I felt pity that it doesn't rise up as much as I want it to. I hope that Utada's first attempt to "Go International" was succesfull as it can be. At least, entering the Billboard 100 chart... I felt very dissappointed, too. T_T

I think Utada was a bright singer and I really like her... even I can enjoy Utada's Exodus after a few hearing.... I hope Utada will be more famous in the future~~~
Kem

Post by Kem »

Wow... Super old topic... But why start a new one when I'm just talking about Utada again, any way?

I just wanted to mention for anyone who prefers her Japanese music that she's going to have a new Japanese album out this summer called "Ultra Blue". I'm kind of excited about it because I really liked "Passion" and "Keep Tryin'".

http://global.yesasia.com/en/artIdxDept ... c/aid-406/
I like cereal.
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

^ I'm really excited for this!
I've completely loved all of her singles after Deep River! Every new song just gets better and better. I can't believe it.

And I really lliked Exodus. It's actually one of my favourite albums ever.....after a while away from it, I popped it in again today and was reminded of how fantastic it really is.
The main issue with Exodus was the lack of promotion.
I mean really, the disc was pressed less than a half-hour drive from my home, and the only way I could get it was through an HMV 'special order' that took almost 2 weeks. That is ridiculous.

I think that even if fans of Hikki's Japanese career didn't like the album, they should still appreciate it because it really helped her to grow musically.
Just listen to Be My Last, Passion, and Keep Tryin'.
You can definately hear the influence that Exodus had on those singles. And I think those are her best yet.

Exodus. It's a good thing. :)

have I said this before?[/size]
Kem

Post by Kem »

I liked Exodus, too. I was able to buy my copy at Target the day it came out for $10. It was awesome. I don't get why so many people hate it.
I like cereal.
takeyuki

Post by takeyuki »

I'm going to see her live at Saitama Supaa Arina..!!!

yey me!!! :o I was lucky enough to pass by a Lawson the day that they started to sell the tickets...!!!!!!

Sorry I'm just toooooo excited.... I've been waiting for these since I came to Japan more than 5 years ago..... After seeing Maaya live, this is the last thing I need to make my Japan experience complete.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Oh you are so lucky! I get to Japan the day after Hikki's final live concert of the tour :cry: lucky, lucky!
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

Blue and Nichiyou no Asa are now floating on the net, in low quality. I'll upload them ASAP.

Nichiyou no Asa is quite pleasant... Reminds me a bit of Automatic. Blue sounds nice too. This is Love was released as a digital single, but I think it has been leaked before. I don't like it much :knockout:

The links:
Nichiyou no Asa
Blue
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
RoyGuy0

Post by RoyGuy0 »

Thanks for sharing :D I already heard Blue, but Nichiyou no Asa sounds lovely :)
Guess what? :D
Kem

Post by Kem »

Thanks for sharing!! Of the newer tracks, all I have heard is "This Is Love" and I liked it a lot. I thought it was really fun and video game like. I think THAT is why I liked it. I feel like it should be in a Mega Man game or something.
I like cereal.