My Language, Your English

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="Bazaa"]Well, here in Portugal most people speak English quite well: we learn it from the 5th to the 11th grade. (we also learn French from the 7th to the 9th grade, but everyone I know doesn't like it XD)[/quote]
Well, we start learning foreign languages quite early here too : first foreign language when you enter middle highschool (at 11-12 years old), second one two years later (when you're 13-14) and sometimes third one, while entering highschool (at 15-16). Usually you have the choice between English or German as your first foreign language (if you chose German, you have to take English as the second one) and then between Spanish and Italian as the second one (some middle highschool have Portuguese, Chinese, Russian or even Japanese as second foreign language choice - a very small minority for Japanese ;_ ;) .

Nowadays, some French elementary schools even teach English to the little kids o__O (I wish it was my case, the earlier you start learning a language, the better you learn it TT-TT)

But even studying English for 7 years and Spanish for 5 years or more at school (or whatever are your foreign languages)... most of the French students are very bad with languages :s

Writing is ok, but speaking is most of the time very difficult, because we don't practice a lot at school (at least it was my case =_=) and sometimes even the teachers have a quite bad accent >< (so better not reproduce it =_=;; ;)

[quote="Bazaa"]And if you work with computers since you are young (me = since I was 4 XD), you just end up using a lot more english than portuguese.[/quote]
I agree that working with computers is a good way to improve and maintain your English level^^

[quote="dillpops"]In England we have a problem that teenagers use SMS in exams and applying for jobs ^^;;;;; that is bad![/quote]
A lot of teenagres write in their exams the same way they write in SMS or chatrooms here too x__X;; Poor teachers ><;;;
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

[quote="Sora"][quote="dillpops"]In England we have a problem that teenagers use SMS in exams and applying for jobs ^^;;;;; that is bad![/quote]
A lot of teenagres write in their exams the same way they write in SMS or chatrooms here too x__X;; Poor teachers ><;;;[/quote]

When we see stuff like that here (which is turning awfully popular) in exams, usually it comes on newspapers X'D It's just too beautiful XD
At those times I get worried about the future of my country :|
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
Franky

Post by Franky »

Once in a french newpaper, it says there was a guy who tried to break into his high school (certainly to modify illegally some answers in his final exams' papers) but was unfortunately stuck into the windows he tried to enter by.

Here's the proof :
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

[quote="Bazaa"]Well, here in Portugal most people speak English quite well: we learn it from the 5th to the 11th grade. (we also learn French from the 7th to the 9th grade, but everyone I know doesn't like it XD) And if you work with computers since you are young (me = since I was 4 XD), you just end up using a lot more english than portuguese.[/quote]

languages....hmm..i guess we begin to learn english when we are in the elementary school..and in the highschool we begin the Spanish classes(at least in my school), but i know that in other schools they learn French, Italian, Japanese(my mom almost put me in this school T_T)....
oh well...but since the brazilian nature is to be lazy and do everything with minimum effort, so we dont practice the oral XD like me HAuHAUhUHAuA i did extra english classes...but i talked the entire course with my friend in portuguese XD she almost failed one year of the course because of a bad oral test AHuAUUAHUHAuHA poor her XD
bleh...but i guess portuguese(at least in brazil) are good to learn new languages since (i guess) we have almost all the sounds...i mean...phonemes...errr...big post -_- from now on i'll just post pics

PS.: DILLY!! I know that my english is bad!! awaaa!! forgive my grammar mistakes!! AWAAAAAAAAAA <o> *despair*
"Missing someone doesnt mean you are apart but that one day you were together"
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

But you are not a native speak Yuki ^^ I forgive you :lol:
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="Franky"]Once in a french newpaper, it says there was a guy who tried to break into his high school (certainly to modify illegally some answers in his final exams' papers) but was unfortunately stuck into the windows he tried to enter by.

Here's the proof :[/quote]
(let me translate one of the best part for everybody)

"A young man went farther, trying to take the exam hiding answers in false dreadlocks. But he had been discovered by the supervisors, who noticed the number of dreadlocks was decreasing as time was passing. The student had already tried to cheat the previous year, with curlers, in another school."

OMG, some of those students have great ideas XDDDDDD
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
bad day today

Post by bad day today »

I can't imagine this guy is taking such extreme ways of cheating~~ But it's kind of funny!! :D Maybe I should try it too~~

Thanks God someone translate the news (thanks Sora)~~~ I can't understand french...

In my country (at least in my school) we also can take second languange lesson.. but we can't choose which one we like to learn. The languages are German, French and Japanese. I really wanted to learn Japanese... but they just pointed me to learn Deutsch... T_T But even with that three years of learning, I'm still doesn't understand Deutsch~~ Am I that stupid?? (OMG, How I wish I could learn Japanese for exchange~~~ >.<)
chibiNekomancer

Post by chibiNekomancer »

I find the concept of choosing your second language very weird.
For me, it was english or die :(
I would have liked to learn French or German ;_;

Of course you can take other foreing languages, but it has to be outside of school, so it means its expensive! @_@
(don't remind me of my failed german classes :s )

Sora: its not cheating until you get caught! XD
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto