Stranger in Paradise

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Chibikko

Stranger in Paradise

Post by Chibikko »

I was in the mall the other day. When I walked into a quiet little shop I heard something startlingly familiar.
It was Stranger in Paradise by Sarah Brightman
*file is posted in this post*

I don't listen to Sarah Brightman ever, but I nearly jumped out of my skin as I jumped right into singing Maaya's counter-melody in The Garden of Everything.

After a little bit of research, I found out it was originally from a play called Kismet which was quite popular in its day. The composer is Rober Wright

I just found it very interesting that Yoko Kanno would draw inspiriation from a source such as that.
And that Maaya sings it so well!
Maybe she should do a cover of the original English version!

Kismet cd track listing
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

Yeah, there's also an instrumental for that, "Strange Paradise", by Bond. Must be one of those songs that you buy and then do whatever you want with them :roll: The composer of that song is credited in the single, I just can't remember his name :?
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

[quote="Bazaa"]The composer of that song is credited in the single, I just can't remember his name :?[/quote]

Ah. I was going to ask if anyone had the single and could check the booklet. But there you go :P (and it's Robert Wright)

When I was first searching for it, I found a gajillion artists had done covers of it....so apparently it's well known.........I guess...... :o
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Yeah its very well known, I grew up listening to it as a kid, I think it was covered by Dean Martin in the version I know? So it also surprised me when I heard maaya sing it XD
roxfan

Post by roxfan »

The melody actually comes from the opera "Prince Igor" by Alexander Borodin (who is crerdited for Garden of Everything too). It's also known as "Polovetsian Dances" and has been played and sung by countless people.
yuna-chan

Post by yuna-chan »

I always thought it sounded familiar.
Maaya sings it so prettily.