Interested about Computers?

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Interested about Computers?

Post by Imurann »

Hmm.. its kinda been lonely here, but anyone here interested in talking about hardware / software related stuffs?

Here's a list where I *love* to talk about:

#1. Overclocking
#2. Drivers warefare (where problems in a pc starts from bad drivers)
#3. Current games / Older games (Patches/mods)
#4. Broadband problems (P2P, Torrents settings, stuffs)
#5. What people do with their pc mainly for

lol, I kinda think option number #5 should be fun to start with..

Me? well I'm using the PC with this specs (Intel Pentium D 805, overclocked to 3.1 Ghz 155x20 - 512mb ddr crossair value ram - A6600GT 3D card (quite problematic) - and a 865GV Biostar Intel motherboard (also had little problems)

Kinda currently I' solved the quite the hassel by using the default windows drivers for the IDE and such, and XTreme-G 84.20.v2 for the Leadtek 6600GT.

Well, hopefully I can get a replacement motherboard soon.. preferabably either a VIA / Nforce Board.. I did a mistake in choosing the wrong motherboard.. lol, need to use the more flexible ones so that I can overclock :evil:

woops..

XD

sorry, I mainly use my computer for Torrent-ing Anime and stuffs, Play Games (usually good old games, mix from US/Japan games), Adobe Photoshop and blogging.. also, for music, using foobar 2000. I was a winamp user, then finally now using foobar 2000. Also now watching korean drama (My lovely/My name is Kim Sam Soon)

My newest hobby, is putting thermal paste on the hardisk and then placed an old heatsink on it XD crazy huh akeke, but it's fun. Especially seeing the hardisk around 37 degrees - 43 degrees (full load) (which before sometimes hit 50 degrees T.T)

It keeps me happy always doing things like this.. dont know why lol :P
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
li0n

Re: Interested about Computers?

Post by li0n »

[quote="Imurann"]Hmm.. its kinda been lonely here, but anyone here interested in talking about hardware / software related stuffs?

Here's a list where I *love* to talk about:

#1. Overclocking
#2. Drivers warefare (where problems in a pc starts from bad drivers)
#3. Current games / Older games (Patches/mods)
#4. Broadband problems (P2P, Torrents settings, stuffs)
#5. What people do with their pc mainly for

lol, I kinda think option number #5 should be fun to start with..

Me? well I'm using the PC with this specs (Intel Pentium D 805, overclocked to 3.1 Ghz 155x20 - 512mb ddr crossair value ram - A6600GT 3D card (quite problematic) - and a 865GV Biostar Intel motherboard (also had little problems)

Kinda currently I' solved the quite the hassel by using the default windows drivers for the IDE and such, and XTreme-G 84.20.v2 for the Leadtek 6600GT.

Well, hopefully I can get a replacement motherboard soon.. preferabably either a VIA / Nforce Board.. I did a mistake in choosing the wrong motherboard.. lol, need to use the more flexible ones so that I can overclock :evil:

woops..

XD

sorry, I mainly use my computer for Torrent-ing Anime and stuffs, Play Games (usually good old games, mix from US/Japan games), Adobe Photoshop and blogging.. also, for music, using foobar 2000. I was a winamp user, then finally now using foobar 2000. Also now watching korean drama (My lovely/My name is Kim Sam Soon)

My newest hobby, is putting thermal paste on the hardisk and then placed an old heatsink on it XD crazy huh akeke, but it's fun. Especially seeing the hardisk around 37 degrees - 43 degrees (full load) (which before sometimes hit 50 degrees T.T)

It keeps me happy always doing things like this.. dont know why lol :P [/quote]

Hahhah
I used to be an ethusiast, but that died along time ago :P
Still got the same crappy pc
XP1600+
epox8kha+, gf2mx, bla bla..

and as if a hard-disk needs cooling -_-!! They were designed to operate in hot environments hahah.

I can say pretty much the same about the winamp -> foobar transition. Was a hardcore winamp user and just did not want to change even though i knew foobar was better in practically every aspect. But before i was planning to get a new soundcard (chaintech av-710), decided i should start getting used to foobar. And i did! :)

Anyway i shall be off to bed.. came on now because i couldn't sleep :\ (3am)
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I am probably one of your enemies : P I have a 19" iMac G4 with 768mb of RAM and 1.25ghZ processor. Not very interesting huh :evil:
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

I've always wanted to use a higher resolution than 1024x768 on my 15' in monitor, so today I give it a try on my computer. I did a little twist on the resolution provided and tried my luck.

The monitor is Studioworks 55v took it from my dad, since he didnt use it anymore keke :P

I added an attachment, if anyone wants to try out.. well I'm not sure if it works on other monitors, but if you want to have better resolution, give it a try. Oh remember, the hz should be around the lowest possible, just to avoid unwanted things XD

Probably it's just a tweak that I havent noticed for almost 3 years already.. :)

The reason behind this tweak?
1. Can use new highres wallpapers
2. To view hi-quality images better *purple aura*
3. A new resolution means a new point of view. Lets just say when we're on the top of a mountain, we see things a little differently. Remeber - Tune the rainbow? XD

Screenshot
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

My dad's pc (family's pc) went harewire yesterday, so here I did a few things

1. Identify the problem :
(a) while loading into windows 98, cant load some system files
(b) cause: probably when I played with the VIA ide drivers it turned out like this; so no more changes later.
(c) the partition is probably corrupted

2. low level format. (zero fill) last time I thout this was dangerous, now.. it's like daily bread XD

3. Did a new partition and fixed in the another OS on it. We were lucky the old 1.2Gb hardisk didnt crash yet.. hopefully it can still run for another few more years before I get the replacement.

4. The fun part
(a) entact a 12 cm fan on the rear of the system (air outtake)
(b) I have an extra heatsink fan, which uses the system board power pin. so I placed it on the old hardisk, took off the sticker on top of the hdd and then placed some thermal paste and double sided sticker (thin ones) :D
(c) start up the system, and it's been cool down to below 45 degrees (on uptime)
and as if a hard-disk needs cooling -_-!! They were designed to operate in hot environments hahah.
> I was like this before.. overconfident that the heat wouldnt kill the hardisk.. but the thing was, after hearing some of my friends 250 GIG hardisk turned failure, I was schocked to the max XD

so today, I keep in mind about the hardisk to be at least near to 40 degrees celcius. use HDD thermometer to check the temps http://www.rsdsoft.com/hdd-thermometer/
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Desktop screenshot

keke, been wondering if the old litestep really can change one's perception when using windows xp.. such memories XD
(used this back in 2004)

> Litestep
http://wiki.litestep.com | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiteStep

- Merri changed the image into a link
li0n

Post by li0n »

Are you sure you want the refresh rate of the monitor as low as possible :| i think that would kill your eyes more than anything
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Yeah, low refresh rate on CRT monitor kills eyes and often gives headache. Minimum of 85 Hz is recommended. I was very careful when buying a monitor a few years back and this can do 1360 x 1024 at 85 Hz and thus that is what I use :)

If I ever buy a TFT, I probably take one that can do 1600 x 1200... once the price is right.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I remember at school, the person I shared the computer with (afternoon class) kept setting the resolution to 800x600 with a refresh rate of 60. It would KILL my eyes. :?
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

We had in school one interesting case. Apparently he had a very poor eyesight yet he didn't use glasses for whatever reason. Practically he had his nose on the screen.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
li0n

Post by li0n »

i can't even stand 85hz

100hz is minimum for me