Ubuntu (Linux) users?

Place for non-Maaya topics.
nijibug

Ubuntu (Linux) users?

Post by nijibug »

This past week, my Microsoft OS cannibalized itself and became irreparable. On a tip from a friend, I was able to install Ubuntu and salvage my 1-year-old laptop.

I now have Ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition 64 bit. My Windows -> Linux transition has been fairly smooth so far. I miss being able to use programs like Photoshop and Audition (Ubuntu can't run Windows exe files), and having to use Terminal (similar to Command Prompt) for many actions that simply required pointing and clicking on Windows takes some getting used to. But I really love Ubuntu's speed and display.

Do we have any Ubuntu users on this forum? Feel free to share your experience, why you use it, any tips or problems you have, etc!
Merri
Posting Freak

RE: Ubuntu (Linux) users?

Post by Merri »

I had Ubuntu in my netbook, until it broke itself :)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I'm using only Ubuntu at home since 2005. It's pretty easy to have good advice on how to use it from internet.
At work, I'm stucked with the enterprises choices, so I'm still running windows.
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

Jérôme. wrote: I'm using only Ubuntu at home since 2005. It's pretty easy to have good advice on how to use it from internet.
At work, I'm stucked with the enterprises choices, so I'm still running windows.
I'm slowly learning my way around Ubuntu. I really like it so far!

I work as a computing consultant at my university - we're equally split between Windows and Macs here.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

:3 oho Ubuntu newbie ahaha

But the windows 7 is pretty, some even prefer it over Mac OSx OS

so you've played with 'sudo' and 'apt-get' already, then you can do tons of things.. maybe download hacking tools as well, to monitor other people's network..

I had friend who even done those things on windows xp (sending attacks over a private company's server to crash it down in 5 seconds), and I was like WORD.. old school XD

You're familar with programming as well, nijibug?
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

I've been feeling my way around Terminal and command lines. I'm not a programmer, so it's taking me a bit to get comfortable. :']
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

Imurann, this is old prejudgment to think of linux as a system for programmers.
Nowadays, and specially with Ubuntu, it is as user friendly as any windows... if not more ;)
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

Jérôme. wrote: Imurann, this is old prejudgment to think of linux as a system for programmers.
Nowadays, and specially with Ubuntu, it is as user friendly as any windows... if not more ;)
The forums are so helpful. I've yet to run into a single problem that I couldn't figure out. :heart:
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

Does anyone have the stable release of Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) yet? I need a little help :/
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I never get the big upgrade at time of release, because there is always some misses. Better to wait one or 2 monthes
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

Jérôme. wrote: I never get the big upgrade at time of release, because there is always some misses. Better to wait one or 2 monthes
I should have been more patient! I got it the day it comes out ^^;

Well, it's not a real problem in the sense that it affects the way anything runs. It's just that every time I start up the computer, it always tells me there's a bug in the process "swapper", whatever that is, before I get to the login screen. I haven't found a way to get rid of it.
jcmace

Post by jcmace »

I'm using Ubuntu 11.4 on my netbook and I'm more than satisfied with its fast loading.