'Kotomichi' Lyrics (Kanji and Romaji) and Translation

Lyrics, tablature and sheetmusic of Maaya's songs... and all that is related.
harmonium

'Kotomichi' Lyrics (Kanji and Romaji) and Translation

Post by harmonium »

I copied down and Romanised 'Kotomichi'. I hope it's O.K. that I translated it. frecklegirl is doing 'Triangler' so I thought I could take this one up. I hope it's all right.

ことみち

作詞:坂本真綾
作曲・編曲:高田みち子

きみの好きなところなら いくつだって挙げられるんだよ
いっそ もうきらいになったって
言えたらいいのに

燃え尽きて残ったかけらを拾い上げ
大切にポケットにしまった

悲しくて 涙も出ないふたり
まるで愛を語るように さよならと優しく告げた

感情は
誰に教わるでもなく 持ち合わせるもの
なのに自分でさえ いつもうまく分類できない
穏やかで こわくて 強くて 鮮やかで
それをただ受け入れるだけ

特別だった時が終わっていくのを 静かに見届けたあとで
さよならと 優しく触れた
愛してた気配の中で

Kotomichi

Lyrics: Sakamoto Maaya
Composition and Arrangement: Takada Michiko

kimi no sukina tokoro nara ikutsu datte agerareru n da yo
isso mou kirai ni natta tte
ietara ii noni

moetsukite nokotta kakera wo hiroiage
taisetsu ni poketto ni shimatta

kanashikute namida mo denai futari
maru de ai wo kataru you ni sayonara to yasashiku tsugeta

kanjou wa
dare ni osowaru demo naku mochiawaseru mono
nanoni jibun de sae itsumo umaku bunrui dekinai
odayakade kowakute tsuyokute azayakade
sore wo tada ukeireru dake

tokubetsu datta toki ga owatte iku no wo shizuka ni mitodoketa ato de
sayonara to yasashiku fureta
aishite ta kehai no naka de

Kotomichi (Different Paths)

I could give many examples of what I like about you
It would be so much better if only I could say
that I've come to hate you

I pick up the burnt up fragments remaining
and place them carefully in my pocket

The two of us, sad, didn't even cry
We gently said good-bye, as if we were talking about love

Emotions are
not something that that are taught to you by someone, they are something you always have
Yet I am never able to classify them well myself
Peaceful, frightening, strong, vivid
All I do is take it in

After I silently witnessed the end of this special time
I said good-bye and gently touched you
amidst the atsmophere that spoke of how I had loved you

----

I finally learnt what 'Kotomichi' means from this Pakila interview (you have to be logged in to view it, just a heads-up):
『ことみち』とは、どういう意味なんですか?!

坂本: 「『ことみち』とは"異なる道"ということ。今までは同じ道を隣りあいながら歩んできた2人が、「ここからは別々の道を歩んでかなきゃいけないね」というような、“お互い前へ進んでいくうえでの静かな別れ”を描いた歌です。その世界を描くのに「古風な言葉がいいなぁ」と思い、『ことみち』と名付けました」
What does 'Kotomichi' mean?!

Sakamoto: 'Kotomichi' means 'koto naru michi' ('different paths'). Up till now these two people have walked the same path side by side. 'We have to go our separate ways now,' they say; 'a quiet parting that comes so that we can each move onward,' it's a song that expresses such a parting. To express that world, I thought, 'Old-fashioned words would be good,' so I named the song 'Kotomichi'.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Somehow, I just understand this song too well..

@This song isnt about separating, but more like she loved him so much.. that she has thoughts that their path did not meet together, her heart aches so much because was not given the chance to meet / be with him. She still hopes there would be future changes, maybe.

it's a girl's feelings, I cant totally say I can understand them all, but one thing for sure, they sure talked a lot, but the outcome doesnt have to be the same, right? we're human beings, make choices from day to day. Things will change! GO Tight!

:D genki na Maaya nee chan
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

btw, the lyrics translations have a some small missing words.. just some small words here and there. I haven't looked into it seriously, soon perhaps, during my free time. Btw, thanks for the translation.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

Oh, man, missing words? Where? I can't see any missing words. Let me know what you mean when you have the time. And I'm glad my translation was helpful.
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

I'd planned to do this one too--I translate all of Maaya's lyrics as they come out for my site. I don't mind that you beat me though, because I tend to be really thorough in making translations and unless everything is really clicking and I have no doubts about the meaning, it usually takes me at least a few days, usually much longer, to complete a translation. I'll make a rough draft, sit on it for a while, mull it over, then come back and rewrite it and often that pause will have been enough time to see more meanings to the song and its lyrics than I originally thought, and it means I can have a better translation than just the first quick one I knocked out.

So I'd like to be competitive and push to have my translation out first, but that's just not how I do things, I take my time too much. :) So if yours comes out first, great, and if people still want to wait around for mine, even better, but being competitive is just not my style.
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

OK, gotcha. But, uh, I hope you're not implying that my translation is flawed because I finished it quickly ... because it sounds like you are. I checked this over repeatedly before posting. If you think it is flawed, just be straight and point the errors out.

I'm not trying to be 'competitive'. I finished the translation, so I posted it (because I am excited over the single, etc.). Idk. Maybe I should delete this topic.

EDIT: I just don't want any drama/problems/strife. D:
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Harmonium, I like your translation. Make as much versions as you can. I will do as well, through my own understanding.

My background was more on the likings of translating Iwasato Yuho's lyrics, this time it is Maaya writings. To me personally, it's a new challenge because to look into the eyes of Maaya, into her past, present and future then writing them down here for everyone to read. It probably take lots more time than I would think I can do it.

Still as an opening into the translation culture, I welcome you open heartly :)

welcome to the gang XD

I will never think fans would go "gung-ho" and hurt each other, especially if that person really understands Maaya that well. There are many from the oldest batch of fans, learn from them as well. Though I haven't met the oldest batch from Japan (Japanese fans) itself, they sure still lurk the internet endlessly. Somewhere.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

i haven't heard the song yet.. but you guys are so quick. i'm amazed.
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

My girlfriend said, this song links up with 僕たちが恋をする理由 from the , the fourth song in 30 minutes night flight album.

I told her, this is a girl's song, only a girl would understand these words. I doubt I can understand the real meanings behind this song totally, but what I do know is how to answer them in these situation as a man.

Listen up kids, never ever play with love triangles XD

It may have 3 sides, but those sides are sharp and dangerous at times.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Gundam 00 last episode letter, given from Setsuna to Marina Ismail san. From a perspective, it's like Marina's inner voice liked to answer to setsuna perhaps.

Something about different paths is there as well, it may seems like a thin relation.. I doubt many watch this show, so I just rip some part of the letter part below. Hey, tell me what you think of it :)

Contents of the letter:
(credits to [gg] fansubbings)

Marina Ismail,

By the time you read this, I'll already be gone. Armed interventions to put an end to war.. I was unable to do anything but only to fight for Celestial Being, and you taught me what it means to fight. Back then, just like my Gundam. I wanted to know.. why our world is so terminally distorted. Where did that distortion origins from?, why there are people whom are unconsciously fallen into evil. Why people don't know that their evil actually hurts others. Why is humanity an existence which only conflicts with itself? Why are there people who rule, and those who are ruled? Why do we would each other? In spite of all this, why do people go on living like how they still do? I wanted to ask you. Please think of an answer, if we may meet again. That being the case, I will seek out the same thing on a different path than yours. Down the path towards mutual human understanding, to find that that answer. I will keep looking for it, together with my Gundam. ..Together with my Gundam.
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

i didn't watched the previous gundams. so i can't join in..

the last paragraph of kotomichi confirms it all.. a timeless song.. and combined with the song pattern and the last part (instrument) (lyric) (instrument) (lalala part) makes it a really good lullaby theme. yeah it seem to has a relation with "boku tachi ga...", but for me both the composition and maaya's vocal line are more established than the previous one.

anyway the song pattern also reminds me to "call your name".. only call your name was more elegant and this one is nicer.
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

hoh.. I remembered..

this feeling, that never left me.. was badly and feeling sad..

I think, I've wrote it somewhere in my archive.. back in 2004.. or even older.. I was meeting my ex-girlfriend back then, and then..

she said.. something like bad things about me, and etc etc.. we were in a restaurant, and she was saying out loud.. such that we were breaking up.. or she wanted to eliminate me from her life totally..

I come to meet her with an honest feeling, walked here and there worried.. wtf is wrong with the world today?.. is it too hard just to understand someone's heart?.. I was too sad, until walking around in circles.. eyes were very-very close to tears, my stupid friend whom I was with now.. probably doesn't even have a fucking clue on what I have gone through. I was smashed.. destroyed. Even in that event, tried my best to smile to myself.

I've always remembered, that event was close to "vector". I was very-very attached to vector back then.. just until today, half of those feelings were placed too deep into the ground.

It is no point.. to be someone whom you are not going to be.. that is why I've decided to be what I want to be. Trusting as ever, I will walk that damn thorny path, even if I have to walk it all by myself, or followed by a freaking shadow. I'll just bet everything on the final end, so that I wouldn't feel regrets on anything. That single hope, and fighting spirit. Tsuyoku wa naritai.

"Do we try or should we Say Goodbye?"

.. I've seen it, and been through it.. that's why it feels very-very amplified when it happen.. (been screaming it in my heart.. and I guess she didnt hear it at all)

"cant pretend anymore.. It aint' nothing.."

I know it could get much emo.. as if the song is advising me.. such that foresee this would eventually happen, and thus it did. It was supporting me, somehow.. I felt a relieve a bit, and understand why such things like this happen from time to time. We grow up.. and learn from our mistakes.
I heard Tenson making a new song, oo goody.. long time he didnt write for maaya :)