Maaya as a lyricists

Lyrics, tablature and sheetmusic of Maaya's songs... and all that is related.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Maaya as a lyricists

Post by Imurann »

[This is just a discussion, avoid flaming the Meso =) ]

I was doing a re-reading on a phrase which Maaya had in ?"The garden of everything" the small phrase beside Steve Conte words. I had a brief "sight" on how maaya thinks, as a song writer.

It is sort of like "becomming one" with her writings, but only extends for like 1-2 seconds. I've managed to enter her mind, and look around.

here's the sample, yeah I made the translation roughly.
歌を今風に乗って
遥か遠いあなたのもとへ
いつか空はひとつに繋がる
戻ってゆけるあなたのもとへ

uta o ima kaze ni notte
haruka tooi anata no moto e
itsuka sora wa hitotsu ni tsunagaru
modotte yukeru, anata no moto e

o' songs, now it sets afoot in the winds.
In silence, vast heights, to you whom it shall return to.
Soon the skies above shall meet, in order to be one.
In that calmingly sense, it shall return to you.
I think there exists some rough words, sort of unrefined words, hmm.. how am I to clear this in simple words..

say, take Kimidori as an example. She writes something not to explain a picture, but to say what's in the picture, say if the picture is a place where there is a big tree in the middle, and the environment is beautiful, she would talks about the falling leaves, the color of the leaves "saying it may be kimidori colors", even talking more onto the colors, and needless stuffs (like water reflections). She sets in her heart onto it, and start thinking from there onwards.

Give me a minute, Kimidori is quite old, let's take her newer works like Triangular. "kimi wa dare wo kissu wo suru" this phrase reminds me of a mathematical terms, called discrete mathematics. Just the complexion of weather "to kiss" or "not to kiss".

Hm, my other mind implies that "she thinks more weirdly than I do". "Otaku, haha". Come to think of it, she does a lot of anime related work ever since her first debut, a unique person under the anime environment. Still her expose majorly in Escaflowne, Arjuna, and RahXephon probably made course on how her songs were and always will be. Such that close to sciences, logic theories, direct feelings, different thinking and many others related into it.

Still we cannot forget the bigger otaku whom resides under the name of a composer! lol (forgive me if I offend anyone) still it's a funny thing to talk about when we come terms to reality, rather than what we think they were.

Damn, I wrote something weird again.. *laughs and walks away*.. megumi styled.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

One thing I'm sure of, she (Maaya Sakamoto) is not what you think she is all this while. Look, even her fans are hardcore people, that alone is hard to deny.

One objective has come into reality, her words have traverse into many different minds and hearts from different cultures and society, say it origins from the east nor from the west.

The true challenge is what comes after the first objective is done. Maybe she is thinking about it now, seriously.
Leave me a message if you notice someone spamming over here, I'll clean it up for you.
jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda »

Wow... I really wish I could contribute to this thread. I am very very interested in knowing other's opinions on this matter.

I can not understand japanese, so I can not have an opinion on the matter, as from what I understand, english translations can not convey everything that japanese originally had.

But I thinkits so interesting to think that maaya is otaku.. I don't know much about her. Although I've know about her for a while, I never started getting absorbed into her muic till recently.. so She is still a mystery to me. I'm an otaku and to see famous otaku makes me smile.

Another example of how my japanese fails... I would of said "kimi wa dare wo kissu wo suru" meant who are you kissing. I never would of interpreted it as "Just the complexion of weather "to kiss" or "not to kiss"." Although I think you meant contemplation of whether to kiss or not. Man japanese is kicking my arse :?
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Let me take 30minitues night flight, say the first two songs, (30minutes night flight & Dreaming) and Universe.

For the first two, I kinda feel she made that song like while reading some manga, more to shounen-ai types. Some feelings I had was that, she thought of it while having to wait for the plane in Tokyo's airport, maybe going back to her parents / grandparent's house. Usually the free time in between, or the immerse strength while taking off into the air made her feel like singing, and while writing some notes, she remembers the news, and remembered of those lives that lives below, while she is still flying over tokyo. I was thinking that she sees things as if she was out of her body, and seeing her self back once again, and talk / sings in the shoes of an observer. Or maybe this song is dedicated to that man whom was with her while they are on the flight, she split some orange juice on him, and he gave her the white cloth. Usually girls remember those kind of things, do they?

Dreaming was kinda, like answering a phone call. You may say somethings too much, and when on the bed sleeping, you tend to remember what you have said. She thinks of it, and writes it. Maybe an old friend from school, saying that they are married, with children, and trying to make her jealous haha, as to balance with a living artist XD competition between friends is unavoidable.

*_* I just woke up.. em, where was I.. oh, Universe. I really x3 liked this song, also at the same time, I wished to talk more about her writings, I've even made my own translations for this, hmm.. say, maybe I may be dreaming but.. in those words, I may have seen what it is like to be Maaya Sakamoto really is. A person who doesn't really know about what love really is, this Universe she talks of, is very-very warm, like in the darkness of when she was in her mother's womb. I've noticed that, she never made her words personal, compared to like how Yuho always does, Maaya always kept things to herself, as if what she said about not having anyone else is true. About her feelings of loneliness was all true. In that sense I always feel wanted to cry when she said (1) "**Soon, things shall clears, The real answers is still there within you!** " as if she was trying to fool herself with lies, pitifully and painfully. (what I mean, like when you look into the mirror, crying and wanting to say something to yourself, she took that opportunity to say those words(1) back to herself, as to reassure to herself that nothing is wrong)

Damn.. I'm sick of this.. every time when I went in too deep, it feels so depressing.. like the feeling to be Shinji Ikari (yes, I've been watching Evangeleon lately :P ) ***EMO***
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

I just want to say that your English translation is really, really off >_< Which wouldn't be a problem but you're basing this interpretation off it and you really can't do that when you don't even properly understand what the lyrics are saying.
Imurann
Posting Freak

Post by Imurann »

Thanks for noticing it..

From my experiences, when I come to understand what Maaya was trying to tell, like entering her brain-shell (referring to Ghost in the shell), it was not telling me like a point of view of a normal girl. It was talking in a different sort of language than I have anticipated it would be. I may be saying this that, Maaya is like the person whom may have actually watched and finishes lots and lots of different Anime seasons. That she spent time watching them, as well as focusing on her main work, writing and singing. Still in hypothesis, I started to see her writings in a new different perspective. Actually I find it hard to tell what she wants to actually say in those writings. For now, what I can say "she tells a story, intensely she wants us to understand it as a whole" it is totally different from back when most of her writings were by Aunt. Still, I see the making of Akino's Lost in Time album, like a retribution on what Maaya has decided on. I do not understand a woman's pride is, let them be, we just focus on what they have to say/write. Personally, after checking the CD cover which says mostly of the songs were written by a familiar songwriter really turns me off. "What was she thinking?", is all I could ask..

I know all about the genesis part, it was part of the main plan, the Masterplan. Maybe in her books, it was part of that main plan after all. Realizing something that has happen, and being part of it, or even walking on it, is different. It was full of disappointment, full of sorrow, those words she has wrote. That woman that I have devoted my life with. Iwasato Yuho.

Fragments of what she lastly left for Maaya, Unison was likewise telling her something indirectly, which I still have mixed feelings about it ever since I've listened to it. "Do you still value our friendship?" or "Do you wish to walk different path than me?", questions that are part of that truth.

LISTEN, OBSERVE, AND THINK! - From Daugther of 20 Faces
jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda »

So what are your opinions freckle girl? What do you think of maaya as a lyricist? What do you feel she feels as she writes a song. Is she randomly piecing words together, or do you feel certain albums have certain themes. Just whatever. What do you feel about maaya as a lyricist?

have you ever seen any song like Imurann saw "the garden of everything"? Like have you ever tried to internalize and interpret her lyrics?

I was highly intrigued when Imurann started this topic. If you are someone more "qualified" , then I am even more interested to hear your words....