Moved from phpBB2 to MyBB

Support & site news.
nijibug

RE: Moved from phpBB2 to MyBB

Post by nijibug »

I've been linking it from my various profile pages (blogs, youtube) and plugging it to my friends and watchers on deviantART. We'll all do our part and hopefully that'll help.

I think deltafour has a point. Because Google's spiders crawl existing HTML files, the recent overhaul created a bunch of new pages and probably caused Google to think this is a new site. :/
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

Someone should design a maayas.net sticker so we can each take a stack of a hundred or so and stick them to random things. Viral marketing, and all that. It could be huge. :)
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The biggest problem is that the URL structure changed entirely. However instead of similarity with the old I considered it better to have user readable & easy to remember URLs. The forum is also running a Google SEO plugin that has been built according Google's SEO guide rules (the nice URLs is a part of that).

There is a redirection for old topic URLs but it is done via PHP and it could be improved. At this point I think I'm not going to bother; the site's ranking will eventually become better if the content is good :) Which means wiki would need more work, a better (simplified?) front page possibly with a listing of latest posts in the forum and so on... but one thing at a time! Slow is alright for a site this small :)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

deltafour wrote: Someone should design a maayas.net sticker so we can each take a stack of a hundred or so and stick them to random things. Viral marketing, and all that. It could be huge. :)
Ooh, I'd love to have a stack of maayas.net stickers :heart:
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I like the thread rating system but we're all so nice nearly everything is five stars! :P
nijibug

Post by nijibug »

dillpops wrote: I like the thread rating system but we're all so nice nearly everything is five stars! :P
But people are making such great posts, I mean look at the latest Maaya news xDD
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

You mean you now want a "my personal review" type of forum where you can write your own review thread and then people would rate them?
deltafour

Post by deltafour »

And we want the forum to make coffee for us too! :P
http://sakamotomaaya.com/ (Collected translations of Maaya Sakamoto news, essays, interviews, and articles)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

And actual cookies, not just them internet cookies.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The closest I can make the forum do coffee is a mental shock.

You don't want me to go there.
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

It seems there was a problem in the migration in some thread with special character encoding.
At least, my newbie marathon post was cut at the é of Jérôme >__< (it was post #84)
Any save from old system ot recover this ? If you can send me the text, i'll put it back on the post.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The problem is there as we had a non-UTF8 character encoding in the earliest days. I do have a backup for all the posts, so I could technically manually fix all of it perfectly on a post-by-post basis (there are other than latin-1 being used, you can find shift-jis etc.)... but I don't have the time to see the trouble. Right now I'm having a very tired day, soon off to bed.
Jérôme.

Post by Jérôme. »

I was actually proposing to do it myself. Like, if you can give me the dump of the backup base, I can search them and repost them when people will ask for it...
gradualpetrify

Post by gradualpetrify »

what is a warning level for lol? like if im a bad guy some1 will set a bounty on me and john marston will kick my ass? hehe cool.
i bet the report button was just created for me hihihih.
or if you post something there is always the "RE: title of the topic" at the top like were stupid and forgot what we reply for haha.
but generally nice - trivial but nice.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Jérôme: I store the backup as a SQL text file. I need to filter stuff such as private messages before I could give it.