What should we do to make the forums better?

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

What should we do to make the forums better?

Post by Merri »

So, this is the all classical topic on every forum and now that it seems things are getting a bit more lively, I think this is a good time to start pondering about this :)

Some problems I see:
- low number of members
- my lack of time even though I do visit almost every day

Also a thing that came to my mind the other day was that are we too inside? I like when things are open and community is open for new members (I think this thing is fine atm), so do you think there are some things that might make potential new members afraid of us?

Should we advertise the forums more? I can't do that myself, simply because the other places I visit are from completely different world... I'm rather sure there are no people who would even have the slightest interest on Maaya. Should we try to do something to advertise the forum to get more members?

And then, I don't know what you think of what I do here in the background... I don't do all that much stuff and I don't know if you care about it. Any comments or feedback welcome on how I do things :)
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Okay what I woulod say is, although the layout isn't too bad, it is kinda dull...no offence or anything! But there are only two pages. I only came here because of the old mount merri. I think if I had stopped by the homepage first....

Anyway, the reason I found mount merri was a search for the new shounen alice lyrics, an there was a thread called "sora's christmas presents!" (incidentally she seems to be the only one to have done scrap~, nobody else has translated it and now the lyrics are gone ;;_;; )

I would say, get an affiliate program going on the main page, brighten the colours up. Maybe after we've done that make yourself known to a bigger power that be, I mean James Wong is down now but maybe artists forums etc. Nobody knows we are here and when they do come in the site looks closed, even if you don't have the "under construction" notice it looks closed...

We have so many active maaya members from all nationalities. I appreciate that people want to keep their sites to themselves, but I think we should have a short snappy "FACT FILE". Picture of maaya on each page of the factfile, like a police file in a way. A gimmick. This can be translated for each nationality because it will only be a summary and won't take up too much of anybody's time. Then a link of official affiliates who have maaya sites like sora and dillpops. They're good sites and people can go to get more information. Then make the forum look more alive again by integrating it more into a new design of site, brighter, more updated, a bit more content.

I know you don't have much time to spare, I really appreciate that. But you know right now i'm completely jobless, i've got time on my hands..i'd be more than willing to help out and i'm sure once it gets closer to easter that other people will be too. I love this forum and the people in it (and maaya!) and sometimes it does annoy me that there aren't more people signing up, I know maaya is more popular than that.

So..just my 2 cents...9_9
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="misssakura"]Anyway, the reason I found mount merri was a search for the new shounen alice lyrics, an there was a thread called "sora's christmas presents!" (incidentally she seems to be the only one to have done scrap~, nobody else has translated it and now the lyrics are gone ;;_;; )[/quote]
Heee^^;;; Yeah, I remember ^___^ (I was so happy to romanize "Shounen Alice" lyrics for everybody ;*_* ;) You can still find the lyrics on my website :) (I mean, the old version => http://membres.lycos.fr/skyvision/Maaya_Sakamoto/)

Merri... didn't you put my lyrics on a special page with other lyrics..? o_O
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

[quote="misssakura"]Then a link of official affiliates who have maaya sites like sora and dillpops. They're good sites and people can go to get more information. [/quote]

Not many people visit my site ^^;;;;;; I wouldn't be much use...

EDIT: I'm averaging around 300 per month ^^
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

misssakura

Post by misssakura »

ooh I didn't know those existed..especially as google hasn't archived them...thanks merriiiiiiii :O
chibiNekomancer

Post by chibiNekomancer »

Those are good ideas: to make some static content, say a little Maaya bio, links to popular Maaya sites, etc.

The front door (main page), does sometimes give that "darn, not done yet" feeling, tough the forum has grown a lot. Originally i think the site was going to be made by many people, not just forum-filled Merri :?
As it goes, even a little addition will be great (just as the new icons are very fun XD )

[quote="Merri"]
Also a thing that came to my mind the other day was that are we too inside? I like when things are open and community is open for new members (I think this thing is fine atm), so do you think there are some things that might make potential new members afraid of us?
[/quote]

I personally like the feeling of the forum; its open and friendly, so i belive new members won't be afraid to post what they have to say :maayagrin: . Also, this means no spamming from our own members, no ridiculous fights (well maybe one or two).

I remember when i started #MaayaSakamot in IRC, there was like... 2 members; my only advertisement was browsing other channels with my fserve inviting Maaya fans. With that, people started coming in, i also invited friends, and so on to make the little happy Maaya channel :maayagrin: (what ever happened to it Merri?, did you keep it?)

In the end, i guess some rules would not be a bad idea. I am not sure if you had considered them, but as the forum grows, we must set some boundries, even if its just to keep some order :P

Oh yeah, before i forget: don't hesitate to ask for help Merri :3

:neko:
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Hi all![/size]

About the site, what I early thought was a main page with links to the content in each language. That's what we have now, but instead of content, the links lead to the multilingual news page.

I also think we should add content to the site: a page for bio, other for discography, another one for lyrics, translations, photo gallery, downloadable goodies... well, that kind of things.
Merri, didn't you plan to move your Maaya's "mount" here? It'd be great. I volunteer to translate the pages to Spanish :)

Another idea: We could add a radioblog to the site, with 10 or 15 Maaya's songs.

Maybe the main page could be the news page, and that main page could have links to all the stuff.

Regarding the dull layout, I began to make a phpBB template, but I touched the php code and now that project is messy :oops: I should begin again.
I think MissSakura can make a beautifull layout for the site, and Merri could adopt the colors for the forum.

We should do something soon! We're in March, the birthday month: Maaya's birthday, maayas.net's birthday... and mine as well :3

Good Night :|
Moe

Post by Moe »

MASCORT!!! :evil:

(idea: animation on a pooch moving on the banner above using flash mx.. remember mameshiba^^)

like what I did on my little-ill site [url]http://maaya_no_uta.pitas.com[/url] CCS is still the best XD ahahahaaha XD Feel free to visit, 10q. Leave a SPAM on the Taggie too^^ :lol: [/url]
One more year has passed, still single :) [url]http://maaya_no_uta.pitas.com[/url]
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

http://merri.net/maaya/ - some recovering to my new site design. Next wondering on moving it all here.
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

Thats quite a cute design. I think there needs to be some spacing between the two bevels though..
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Cute? Wasn't the first word for me to come into my mind when I made the design :)

Anyways, it is now a bit improved, added an English menu and front page. Also one IE bug on the page is now out of the way, though there is one left and I don't know if there is a way to get rid of it... I guess I leave it, it isn't that bad.
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I think any design with maaya instantly becomes cute XD