title discussion - who is lucy and so on

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
mood

title discussion - who is lucy and so on

Post by mood »

there are a few titles i just don't understand.

e.g. why is there this song called vector? i know vector from math-lessons, but why did maaya call this song vector? it's not about maths at all (thank god :D ). is it perhaps because of the distance?

then the other titles which make no sense to me:
- cloud 9 (i just know cloud 7)
- mameshiba (it is bean sod or something like that..?)
- makiba alice (is the name of the farm alice? has the song anything to do with a farm?)
- blind summer fish (sounds macabre...) ^^'
- doreddo 39 (dread 39... what's that? does she count her fears?)

in addition that that: who is lucy? who/ what is nikopachi?
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Hummm.... I'm afraid I can't help you so much. I'm not good at languages.
I can remember a song by George Harrison that was also called Cloud 9, so I think it must have a special meaning in English, like a set phrase.
Regarding Mameshiba, I read once that it is a dog breed, likely the one showed in the videoclip.
keldo

Post by keldo »

cloud 9 describes a state of euphoria, if you are 'on cloud 9' then you are very happy. American I think?

the Vector in the song probably is an alternate definition for the word which is a strong influence.

doreddo 39 I assume refers to temperature. I see 39 come up a lot in regards to love(ok twice, I have a Mikuni Shimokawa album which is titled 39 degrees). Since 39 is meaningless in standard system, I am going to assume that it is 39 celsius which would make it somewhat higher than normal body temperature. Fever, hot in the face, etc. Makes sense when you look at the lyrics to the song.
mood

Post by mood »

thank you keldo for your help!

yes, 39
keldo

Post by keldo »

been thinking about 'blind summer fish'

I can't think of any reference, expression or anything even remotely close to it. Pretty sure it is just nonsense english that sounded good in the song. Fits the theme of the album (since its summer and shes at a beach I guess?) but other than that it doesn't have any meaning.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Very interesting !

Also, Maaya is a fan of the Beatles, she sang "here there and everywhere" in a radio program, so Cloud 9 can be a reference about George Harisson, too.
Sora

Re: title discussion - who is lucy and so on

Post by Sora »

[quote="mood"]- mameshiba (it is bean sod or something like that..?)[/quote]

"MAMESHIBA" (???? in Japanese) should not be divided into "mame" (?=bean, pea) and "shiba" (?=sod) :)

Like Tenson said, it's a dog breed in Japan. "Mameshiba" is the name given to a part of the "Shibaken" breed, it means something like "little Shibaken" ^_^

You can go here to find some cute pics ^.^

And yes, the little dog in Maaya's PV is a Mameshiba :)
She is called "Ko-Hime" (????= little princess) ^_^

[quote="mood"]- makiba alice (is the name of the farm alice? has the song anything to do with a farm?)[/quote]

All I know is that "Shounen Alice" is initially the name of Mayumi Nagano's first book. Seems like she is a quite famous illustrator and writer in Japan ; maybe Maaya likes her books..? :) (in the book, Alice's best friend is called "Mitsubachi" [????= honey bee] !!! ^o^)

Interesting fact :
When Yoko Kanno was interviewed for Maaya's "12nin no Yasashii Hitotachi" ("12 kind people") part on I.D. website, she was asked as the 11th and last question : "If you had to attach (?) a catch-phrase to Maaya Sakamoto, what would it be ?" (????????????????????? ?) And guess what she answered..? ^_^ "Shounen Alice" (????????)! ^o^

The interview was uploaded on Maaya's website the 16/05/2003 and 4 days later, the 20/05/2003, the same website was announcing Maaya's next album release... ^-^

[quote="mood"]in addition that that: who is lucy?[/quote]

I think that "Lucy" is a side of Maaya's personality (like "Shounen Alice") :)

It's also the nickname she used during her second TANABOTA live, a.k.a. "Lms 2001" ("Lucy maaya sakamoto 2001") ^_^ All her band members had a nickname too :)

[quote="mood"]who/ what is nikopachi?[/quote]

"NIKOPACHI" (??????) is a Japanese onomatopoeia, formed of two other onomatopoeias : "NIKO-NIKO" (??????) and "PACHI-PACHI" or "PACHIRI" (??????, ?????).

Japanese people use two kind of onomatopoeias, for sounds, like (all..?) other countries, but also for expressions / feelings :)

"NIKO-NIKO" is the onomatopoeia they use to describe the expression of someone who's very happy, with a beaming smile on his face ; "PACHI-PACHI" / "PACHIRI" is the onomatopoeia they use to describe the sound of someone clapping, blinking / taking a photography (snapping..?).

Maaya seems quite good at *NIKOPACHI*^^
ariel

Post by ariel »

Sora that's great. I've had these same questions nagging me for some time now. I thought that Lucy might be a kind of alterego or something. As for Blind Summer Fish.. the only thing I could think of would be that quote "there are many fishes in the sea.." you know the one people say when they break up with someone and they tell them that there are other people out there. In this case however, she wants to meet this "fish" again. Does this make sense? I don't speak japanese so I'm only looking at the translation of the song.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Niko : Smile
Pachi : Punch

Look at the cover, Maaya has a punchy smile !! (with 3 little stars and her boxing glove)
XD
mood

Post by mood »

sora you're brilliant :D thank you for your helpful post!!
Sora

Post by Sora »

*^_^;;* dou itashimashite (that's nothing :)

About "Cloud 9"...

[quote="mood"]in germany we say "cloud 7", it is interesting that the american use the expression "cloud 9".[/quote]

In France we say "
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

We do have a saying for seventh heaven as well, "(somebody) on kuin seitsem
Now stuck in programming JavaScript