Utada Hikaru

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Kem

Utada Hikaru

Post by Kem »

I just got the 2 Utada CDs (Deep River and Singles Collection Vol. 1) I ordered in the mail (Along with my copy of Maaya's Tune The Rainbow single!!) today. I was listening to Deep RIver and I realized the Utada is a really good singer. Sure Exodus wasn't that good (I liked it, but it wasn't her best work), but her Japanese albums are really great.

Does anyone else like her?
I like cereal.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I don't like her stuff before Travelling but I brought Deep River and I listening to it a lot. I'm not a huge fan but I do like Deep River. Unfortunately many times I don't like listening to her voice :oops:

But Deep River is nice.
Kem

Post by Kem »

I agree! Deep River is very good! I would also agree that when listening to her music, you sometimes have to stop for awhile and listen to something else. It just makes the whole experience a lot better. I don't get that urge to stop listening as strongly as I do when I'm listening to Ayumi Hamasaki, but it's certainly still there.

I wasn't always a big fan of her stuff. I just felt compelled to buy her CDs over the Do As Infinity CDs I still really want (Utada's were cheaper and that allowed me to get the 3rd CD) and after listening to them, I got a new appreciation for her work.
I like cereal.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I like Ayu better than Hikki (I have spent much more on her also) but DAI are great too! I just discovered an urge to buy their "Rakuen" single next ^^;;; but I'm broke!
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Do As Infinity does have a few good songs; too bad it is long time since I last really listened to them. I like their "slower" songs. If anyone minds to say a few slower songs by them (a bit like Fukai Mori) it'd be great :) I haven't done much music searching lately :|
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Igamelec

Post by Igamelec »

Sakura Drops and Colors really rock :)

she has a really nice voice and I think she's the one with the very nice unplugged album as well... I listened to it at a friend's place and really enjoyed it but I'm not quite sure if it was her
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="Igamelec"]Sakura Drops and Colors really rock :)

she has a really nice voice and I think she's the one with the very nice unplugged album as well... I listened to it at a friend's place and really enjoyed it but I'm not quite sure if it was her[/quote]
It might have been her, she's one of the very rare Japanese artists who did a MTV Unplugged^^ (I love it by the way ^__^ wonderful unplugged versions *__*)
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Kem

Post by Kem »

[quote="Merri"]Do As Infinity does have a few good songs; too bad it is long time since I last really listened to them. I like their "slower" songs. If anyone minds to say a few slower songs by them (a bit like Fukai Mori) it'd be great :) I haven't done much music searching lately :|[/quote]

I love Do As Infinity so much. I have most of their songs on my computer. Some slower ones other than Fukai Mori would be:

Yesterday & Today*
Shinjitsu no Uta*
Rakuen*
Tao (this song isn't out officially until later this month, but lower quality files are already floating around the internet)
Hiiragi*
Another*
Ever
Enrai
Eien
Break of Dawn
Heart*
Need Your Love*
Raven*
Under the Moon

The star means I like it a lot. If you need help finding these or any other songs by them, I can most likely get them to you.

But back to Utada. I like Colors a lot, too. That's one of the songs that made me decide to buy her singles collection. THat one and Traveling. I love that song.
I like cereal.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

"Rakuen" and "Shinjitsu no Uta" aren't THAT slow, they rock out pretty hard at some points, same goes for "Raven"...
Kem

Post by Kem »

[quote="dillpops"]"Rakuen" and "Shinjitsu no Uta" aren't THAT slow, they rock out pretty hard at some points, same goes for "Raven"...[/quote]

I agree. But I wouldn't classify Fukai Mori as totally slow, either, though. I feel like it is sort of similar to Rakuen or Shinjitsu no Uta.
I like cereal.
Yuki-chan

Post by Yuki-chan »

Shinjitsu no Uta is that Inuyasha ending song?
If it is, I LOVE IT!! Its one of my favorite anime ending songs XD
"Missing someone doesnt mean you are apart but that one day you were together"
Kem

Post by Kem »

[quote="Yuki-chan"]Shinjitsu no Uta is that Inuyasha ending song?
If it is, I LOVE IT!! Its one of my favorite anime ending songs XD[/quote]

Yep. I think it's the 5th ending of inuyasha.
I like cereal.
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

I love Utada Hikaru.
I wasn't really interested in her until I happened to hear Colours, but that was love at first sound.
It's still my favourite song by her. ^_^

While I'm not a fan of R&B type music, I've found that, for some reason, I really love Hikki's music. There's something about it that is really addictive. I find her Distance album incredibly relaxing...
But, Deep River is by far the best. I think I am actually addicted to that album.....I lent it to a friend, and I kinda got all sad and depressed when she had it...and I asked her every five minutes about when she was going to give it back to me.
That's just sad...>.>
But it is an awesome album!

And contrary to what most people think, I quite like Exodus. It's really fresh and unique. I hear something a little different every time I listen to it, and it's sooo much fun to sing to! ^_^ Especially Kremlin Dusk (I've good range, so I can get those higher notes she fumbles with)

And that reminds me....a lot of people like to make fun of her singing high notes, but I think it's really impressive. Her voice is soo deep and rich, she's brave for attemtping such high pitches in the first place, and I think she actually pulls them off rather well. I see no problem with her voice is Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro (the track most people like to complain about her voice on). I actually really like that song...

Aside from just loving her music, I respect her as a musician, singer, songwriter, and producer.
She does it all...and she does it well.
neopeius

Colors and other qualities

Post by neopeius »

I've liked Utada Hikaru ever since singing Automatic in Karaoke (April of 2000). I've really liked her ever since Hikaru and I absolutely loved Colors when I heard it in Japan in April of 2003.

Since then, I've seen her videos. She's really *young* and she's got sort of this annoying faux-gansta face thing going. I can't describe it, really. I tried listening to her English-language album. I wanted to like it. I really did. I remember coming off a plane in Philly and seeing an Utada display in the airport mall and wondering if I was in the right country.

But alas, "You're easy-breezy and I'm Japanesey" did not win my heart, though I cannot speak for the other 300 million in my country.
Maaya-chan

Post by Maaya-chan »

Utada Hikaru is my favorite singer of all times, I wasn't interested in her music in the beginning but then I got some kind of fever and started downloading a bunch of things (even without knowing the artist) and I downloaded the COLORS video and I feel in love with her inmediatly.

Then I downloaded all of her stuff and I didn't liked her R&B songs back then, but now I really like them a lot, every one of them, and her voice is so relaxing... I JUST LOVE HER! I'm really looking foward to her next album to be released soon, I can't wait XD my HD (70 gigs) only has 75MB of space, why? because It's full with her songs, remixes, concerts, TV lives, pictures, PV's, etc. all HQ stuff. My room is a sanctuary in her honor, even my clothes have her picture. I love her that much :P

And now, about that thing... that song... OMG, Easy Breezy?? I didn't liked the "You're easy breezy and I'm japanesey" thing (as some of you already mentioned), EXODOUS wasn't her best work but still I loved the songs, especially: "Animato", "You make me want to be a man", "Kremlin Dusk" and "Let me give you my love" I just hope she sings in spanish one day :cry: