My Language, Your English

Place for non-Maaya topics.
chibiNekomancer

My Language, Your English

Post by chibiNekomancer »

Well unfortunately the only reason why the forum is international is because people from all over the world come here, but its limited to those who are speaking english. But that is another matter; as long as english seems to be popular, lets point out the weirdness that has come of it.

Take my english for example. I always try to use the um.. formal approach, but i can't help making mistakes that make them sound silly ^_^u

I guess everyone learnt english differently. But like Yuki's cute 'huahua' between words, and Sora's cheerful typing, everyone has something that makes it different. Well, this is just to have fun pointing little things, or to help each other not make so many typos.

This is the perfect thread to say: 'i don't understand what you say all the time' XD
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
-- Neko to Inu, Maaya Sakamoto
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

Yeah, lately, i've been having too many Pictionary moments with Tenson. Which is something like the says X, I understand Y, and then we have to search for pictures to know what we're talking about XD

Well, it's funnier this way. :neko:
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
chibiNekomancer

[quote="Bazaa"]Yeah, lately, i've been having too many Pictionary moments with Tenson. Which is something like the says X, I understand Y, and then we have to search for pictures to know what we're talking about XD

Well, it's funnier this way. :neko:[/quote]

jajaja... thats actually a good idea!
How about a wordless thread? :D
drawings and photos allowed only XD
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="chibiNekomancer"][quote="Bazaa"]Yeah, lately, i've been having too many Pictionary moments with Tenson. Which is something like the says X, I understand Y, and then we have to search for pictures to know what we're talking about XD

Well, it's funnier this way. :neko:[/quote]

jajaja... thats actually a good idea!
How about a wordless thread? :D
drawings and photos allowed only XD[/quote]
Wow !! That would be sooo funny !! ^o^
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Gibb

Post by Gibb »

Oddly enough, the people on this messageboard from foreign countries often display better English skills than a typical english speaker. I for one have been on the internet so long that I hang out with people who purposely misspell words for the humor effect. I try to leave my poor english skills elsewhere when posting here, but I cant help but make poor sentences, or use expressions that nobody else will get. The other day I was posting here and I used the expression "gets my goat". I thought about it a second and figured I needed to explain what that meant because it might not be understood.

I'm from Texas, and I sure enough use words like "yall" and "fixin", but I'll try not to use them too much 'round these parts.
Otakuwiki.com: Disgaea 4 (PS3)
Current Avatar: Fuuka from Disgaea 4
bad day today

Post by bad day today »

Yes, you've mentioned slang. Not everyone understand what it means... because it's not written in any dictionary... Some slang mentioned like "Britney" and stuffs like that (I don't understand it ^^ ;) Not to mention the "rhyme language" that can make you go nuts.... Fortunately, everyone in this forum speaks an easy-to-understand-english that I can get the meaning of the sentences. ^^
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Yeah, it is very important to use proper formatting. I've been sometimes searching for a certain word for tens of minutes with no luck, only to find out later on that the word I didn't know was misspelled in the first place (sayings are nice too, such as this "in the first place").

English slang is just way too much to know. I have enough trouble with Finnish slangs and dialects... at worst I can't understand a word when someone uses pure Helsinki slang. I've had some fun time translating MegaTokyo, didn't always know if some previously unknown word had some other meanings... first off to dictionary, then off to Merriam-Webster, then off to Google if still not sure. Google is the last hope to get an answer, suprisingly I've always found atleast some kind of clue out of it.

I'm writing when I'm tired. Again. This is a bad habit.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

English is definately an abused language ^^;;; I hate it when people spell words awfully because they can't type properly, for example:

wen ppl type like this 4 a lng time it hurts eyes + is hard 2 understand + ppl h8 2 spell rite + i h8 writing like this.

It's annoying >_< I can't even do it. Or when people don't use grammar. It hurts my eyes.

I think it is really incredible that so many people write here in english when it is not their first language. You guys are amazing ^^
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

We know.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

Well, here in Portugal most people speak English quite well: we learn it from the 5th to the 11th grade. (we also learn French from the 7th to the 9th grade, but everyone I know doesn't like it XD) And if you work with computers since you are young (me = since I was 4 XD), you just end up using a lot more english than portuguese.
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

In contrast, England is bad with languages ^^;;;
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

In Spain everybody study English... but nobody can speak it properly XD I think we are bad with languages too :oops:

When i was in school we only had to study one foreign language, and it was English... Nowadays I'm not sure if people had to study two foreign languages. :roll:

In Spain young people tend to write in iNet like in a mobile SMS. I really hate this. :x
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

In England we have a problem that teenagers use SMS in exams and applying for jobs ^^;;;;; that is bad!
chibiNekomancer

[quote="dillpops"]English is definately an abused language ^^;;; I hate it when people spell words awfully because they can't type properly, for example:

wen ppl type like this 4 a lng time it hurts eyes + is hard 2 understand + ppl h8 2 spell rite + i h8 writing like this.

It's annoying >_< I can't even do it. Or when people don't use grammar. It hurts my eyes.

I think it is really incredible that so many people write here in english when it is not their first language. You guys are amazing ^^[/quote]

argh, i agree completely :(
i don't even know if i can call it a slang, and more like a coded english,
becuase if you get deeper in the weirdness, then they start adding
stuff that even the normal lazy writers don't understand.

I have no idea if they do it to sound 'cool' or something, but i
only see they just can't write right. I have yet to meet someone
in online games that writes proper english! :/
(sigh, must be because they all are kids... even if they are over 17)

1 hop3 no1 ev4 st3rtz p0stng like this5 because
if i could i would erase that post --____---
Neko ga Suki na Anata to
Inu ga Suki na Watashi
chibiNekomancer

[quote="Bazaa"]Well, here in Portugal most people speak English quite well: we learn it from the 5th to the 11th grade. (we also learn French from the 7th to the 9th grade, but everyone I know doesn't like it XD) And if you work with computers since you are young (me = since I was 4 XD), you just end up using a lot more english than portuguese.[/quote]

oooh, about learning foreing languages
in Mexico its mostly only english, but i think that even teachers
don't know correct english :s
(they have a funny accent XD)

oooooh. this is a good point.
Can you speak english?
I have problems sometimes, because when i try to do it fast,
i get tongue tied and noone understands me :p
other than that... i would like to hear a little message
recorded from you ^__^

*recording now ....*[/u]
Neko ga Suki na Anata to