About the Japanese fansite COMA...

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Is someone really that determined to keep you out!? awww ;_;

...HEY, I DON'T HAVE PERMISSION EITHER!! whaaaaat
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

^^;;;; guess people should stop posting if they have access...
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I can still go there, so maybe you're just hallucinating? :D
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Unfortunately, he has confirmed that he will not stop blocking the countries already blocked....

I guess that's that then. Unfortunately.
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I don't get it :odd:
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Is he really checking this thread to do this!? Hey, if you're reading this, dude, what is your problem??
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Well, I heard from my friend a lot of Japanese sites are Japanese only...and often, Western forums sharing files and pictures are seen as detrimental to the artist...? I know Jpopmusic's Morning Musume forum had 2channel trouble at one point when that was an argument that came up.

But then some Western sites with downloads say the majority of the people downloading are japanese visitors and not Westerners....?
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

[quote="dillpops"]Unfortunately, he has confirmed that he will not stop blocking the countries already blocked....

I guess that's that then. Unfortunately.[/quote]

That sucks. A lot. Blocking ips like there is no tomorrow? We only want the information in there, and if someone here "stole" something, they're sorry for it. And just because we're western we can't access good information sources like some japanese sites? That's a bit unfair. Well, if "we're" stealing content like mad, there's a reason for it. Oh well.
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

[quote="dillpops"]Well, I heard from my friend a lot of Japanese sites are Japanese only...and often, Western forums sharing files and pictures are seen as detrimental to the artist...?[/quote]

You can see that japanese sites have no photos and us... yes... that's the difference between the data processing !
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Oh no, how dare we have pictures =_=

It's not like Clamp or anything, where they requested that people not post their pictures online (like anyone listens anymore anyway) because it's their original work. They're PHOTOGRAPHS OF PEOPLE. Not really private property at all. Oh well, thats the difference in the culture I guess. As Westerners we're just not special enough to get the new information.

...bitches.
Sora

Post by Sora »

[quote="dillpops"]Well, I heard from my friend a lot of Japanese sites are Japanese only...and often, Western forums sharing files and pictures are seen as detrimental to the artist...?[/quote]
It seems to be so o_o

I still remember getting messages from Japanese Maaya fans asking me how I could put pictures of Maaya on my website ; they were kind of surprised (incensed ?) and I didn't understand why at that time. But it's like a totally different world when it comes to copyrights in there ; like Megumi says, they hardly put any picture on their website and concentrate most of the time on informations... it also seems that Japanese webhosts are very strict and delete sites with pictures (photographies) they consider being copyrighted and used without any official approval... =_=

I think the laws on copyrights are the same everywhere (am I wrong ?), but here nobody complains or shut down a website because it contains pictures ; artists/celebrities themselves don't seem to complain (maybe that's because they concentrate on mp3..?) ; it's a way to promote themselves and also keep the fandom up in my opinion...

[quote="dillpops"]But then some Western sites with downloads say the majority of the people downloading are japanese visitors and not Westerners....?[/quote]
That is true. At least, it is for my website ; when I look at its statistics, Japan is like the second country from where the visitors are from with 20% of the (6 years) total visitors, the first one being France of course, with 40% of the total. It is not as if French was a very common foreign language taught in Japan ; those visitors mainly come for what they can see and/or download... =_=

I really dislike this unfair "Japan/Japanese only" system, but what can we do about it..? Even on *exchanging* networks a lot of Japanese people act the same... =____= They easily find out when you're not from Japan and either don't send/exchange anything with you or directly ban you... -_-

Mentalities surely need to change a lot (not only in Japan by the way), but this takes time...
☆NIKOPACHI☆ Love and... Peace !! \(^O^)/
Tenson

Silly Silly

Post by Tenson »

Western forums are not a detrimental to the artist, especially those not-widely-known artists. Is a cheap way for them to promote themselves outside Japan. But, well, the "Only Japanese" culture is that silly.
kaijyuu_m

Post by kaijyuu_m »

*skims through a variety of links*

Ohhh, so *that's* what happened...

First, to correct something posted earlier, published photographs of people *are* copyrighted material. In the case of a singer/actress such as Sakamoto, the rights usually belong to her, the photographer, her record company, and her production agency.

So yes, technically one shouldn't be posting such photos without official permission. I believe one can stretch "fair use" rules to post scans of CD covers to accompany discography info, and a few photos of the person to accompany profile info, but things actually get iffy beyond that. The only difference between the Japanese and the rest of us is that we tend to interpret copyright a bit more loosely ;)

However, blocking specific IPs is plain silly. The Internet/web was developed to allow anyone anywhere around the world to access information regardless of age, nationality, etc. If the webmaster of the COMA site has problems with the "lack of morals" of foreigners online (yeah, that's what he wrote), then he should really just get off the Internet and go build himself an Intranet or something more private. The Internet is meant to be public and problems with artistic rights are bound to occur. And it's not even about morals, just lack of awareness and differences in ideologies on our part. (Okay, and lack of sensitivity as well, sometimes.) Him playing God certainly doesn't help solve anything.
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Lack of morals by foreigners!? urrrrgh, that really makes me mad. First because it's an example of the worst kind of Japanese xenophobia/ethnocentrism, which always irks me but I can kind of take it with a grain of salt because it's so ingrained in the culture, I know it's hard to break out of it.

But to universally ban ALL foreigners!? And say that because we post photos, we have a "lack of morals"?? That just takes it to an unbelievable extreme.

However, I do understand if the photos are copyright, etc etc. Then why not just do one of those things where right-clicking isn't allowed? Can't we still access the text information? That was a good source of news. Maaya's performed concerts abroad, so she has fans here and cares about them, even if her fansite owners don't. We don't deserve that information because, PURELY on the grounds of being non-Japanese, we lack morals?? Utterly ridiculous.

If you're reading this, COMA webmaster, please at least acknowledge that this is due to a difference in ideology and cultures. We are not barbarians and do not deserve to be treated that way. 覚めてよ!
Bazaa

Post by Bazaa »

[quote="frecklegirl"]However, I do understand if the photos are copyright, etc etc. Then why not just do one of those things where right-clicking isn't allowed?[/quote]

That doesn't make impossible to save the pictures XD Just makes it a bit harder \o/
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me