It has started!

Support & site news.
Merri
Posting Freak

It has started!

Post by Merri »

I started building up the actual site now. Notice I haven't paid any attention on making design: I can't do two things at once. Thus I first make up the base system and then start wondering with the design.

http://maayas.net/index.php

It probably shows just "Testing" unless I have finished the news page. Other page that I made to test out the thing is

http://maayas.net/index.php?module=error

Yup. Funny. It looks like I've done nothing, even though I've done about ten pages already and made some database work. The core system, as it is flexible, takes time to create. Hope you like the... uh... "testing" text.

Note: if somebody isn't logged in, he sees English by default. I haven't yet made it possible to select language, other than by changing profile settings. This will change a little, you don't need to login to change the language.

Edit The news page is now kind of working. You can see the only news post I've written. I also added the language switching:

http://maayas.net/index.php?flang=finnish

So it is possible to see news in other languages.
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

well done *hug* you rock!
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Oh yea... we can actually have MANY designs if we'd like to have! Changing forum design changes the site design. Now how about that?

If somebody wants to create a logo to the upper left corner, to replace that dull phpbb logo, you're free to do so. I don't want to spend my time doing that right now, as there is so much to code.

Edit Some more development, it now sees if you have enough rights. Thus, from now on, to see everything / to be able to do stuff, you need access rights. I gotta code admin panel too... so that I can change the rights...
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

random logo idea:

Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

The logo is shown in the entire site :)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

oops, I thought we were talking about a forum logo :oops:
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

How about this, I thought it was pretty good, I wanted to make it look like a globe with a ring, sorta like saturn to make it 'international'-like:

Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Hi!

I like the Dillpops's design. It's simple and elegant. Maybe the circle could have some shaded paralels and meridians to resemble an earth globe, but it's ok.

I don't have made a logo but a gif to show a possible theme for the site according to Merry's design of the home page.
You can view it at: http://www.jose-ortiz.net/maayas/foro.gif
The header is a little empty, because I don't want to put another photo in it, but in it can be placed the final chosen logo.
More. The word "forum" is intended to be drawed with the same font as "Maaya's" word, but I don't have that font now.
The word "English" show the actual language of the forum. If the forum splits in other languages, that show the actual language you are in.

It you like the colors and design I can try to make an HTML/CSS page, so Merry only will have to put the code. I also can make buttons that fit the design.

PS: Why I can't attach files to the post? I'm not sure, but I think sometimes I can and sometimes not.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I made a GIF version of dillpops' suggestion (14 kB -> 4 kB). It is a bit of a bigger size.

I hope that by tomorrow you'll be able to post and translate news ^^

Btw, do you have any experience with phpBB? Just wondering, would make it easier for you to do an initial layot.

Oh yea, and just use whatever font you like, the one I have in that "Maaya's" text is pretty much a random one I found quickly on my font list :roll:
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

are yousure the logo isn'ttoo big? it could be adjusted...?

Looks nice though...woo! I contributed something!
Tenson

Post by Tenson »

Well, It seems that the link doesn
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

dillpops used [img] tag. Also, your site might not allow something called "hot linking", showing pictures outside the domain. And yet also, I forgot to mention I enabled adding attachments on this forum! Before this wasn't possible, I noticed I hadn't given the rights to do so. If you wish the attachment to show, it should be smaller than 800 x 600 pixels.

Then for phpBB. It uses templating system, you can change the layot a lot if you want to. An example from my other site http//kontu.merri.net/keskustelu/ - doesn't look all that much like a phpBB?

dillpops, you could adjust the image a little bit ) I didn't want to touch it, since basically the only thing I could do is to resize it.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Here's a resized version:

And a smaller resize :wink:

Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I were able to write news! Woohoo! I'll do a bug check etc. and will then give you people rights to write news. It is missing editing and deleting at the moment, though these aren't as important yet. I probably leave deleting as an admin feature, I'm pretty sure we don't need to delete news that often.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

woo I'm a reporter! Glad to see icons in use :) Hey merri can I start up a release archive, I have it up to the most recent Maaya-release from 21st February 2002 could we start it up here? Where can I put it?