What should Maaya's next album be like?

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Hi! New here

I really liked Shounen Alice the best, songs like Uchuu Hikoushi and Chibikko Folk were my favorites, and I also love Hikari Are and Sora wo Miro, I like having variety on an album, rather than all the same style over and over. After Shounen Alice, I would say that Dive is my favorite.

I think her next album will be different from Shounen Alice. She might go more jpop-ish but I hope she doesn't. Songs like Bittersweet and Koucha grow on my after a while but I just don't think they are really her style, as her voice is too pretty for all that studio interference.

:maayagrin:
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

[quote="Merri"]I think Maaya were more mature by the use and power of voice, but I kind of miss the softness of the earlier albums. I happen to like softer stuff more, though Sora wo Miro for example is a nice change.

When I heard Shounen Alice the first time, I were actually horrified. It took me time to get used to the different style, even though it still recognisable as Maaya-style.[/quote]

I didn't realise other people felt this way..when I heard the album I slated it so badly, I liked kingerfisher girl although the accent was pretty bad....but its strange, they're my favourite songs to sing now, even if they're not my favourite songs to listen to. I still hate hero and cross though. DX

I would love her to do an album in the style of napple tale..the little insert songs she does for the napple tale series are so beautiful and I think they showcase maaya's voice perfectly.
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I don't like the Napple Tale songs at all, I always skip them :roll: Bittersweet and Koucha aren't all that good imo, doesn't fit Maaya too well. Heh, should we try to compile a Maaya album we definately would hate? The worst songs of Maaya on one cd! Everyone would love it! :D
Now stuck in programming JavaScript
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I like Koucha, it's pretty if not my favourite. Bittersweet is...meh. I can listen to it at a push but it's not my thing.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Well I dunno if I can say that I absolutely HATE any of Maaya's songs, but there are a fair few that I always skip. I like Koucha now, but it grated on me at first. I like it now just because I think the lyrics are good, and her singing is nice if I can ignore the awful synthesized beats.

If we are voting for one song to be on the "worst of Maaya" can I please nominate Babyface? I think that would be my least favorite of her songs. I thought she was saying "Big big face" the first time I heard it. XD
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I liked 'Shounen Alice' and 'Lucy' the same I think. Maybe Alice a little more. I also felt she was more mature in her singing approach, maybe developing a slight vibrato also? The acoustic live REALLY showed how far she's come in live singing too.

'Guest' I found it a little hard to read your post, could you try to use full stops, capitals and better spelling please? We have a lot of non-english members and they might find it harder than I did to understand also.

Sorry if that sounds mean :oops:
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I think it would be really interesting if people compiled their ideal maaya album, not just using her songs, but suggesting similar genres of songs, for example, say somebody felt that Maaya would sound really good singing something like...oh I don't know, reincarnation by Akino Arai, then suggest it as a substitute. And worst albums would be interesting too....

I really dislike 'bittersweet', and songs like 'go for it!' and 'primary days'. They....annoy me. x_X;
I don't like the Napple Tale songs at all, I always skip them
Really? I would say the singing on napple tale showcases some of Maaya's best singing o_o Midori no hane, dreams in a pie, winter's petal......so cute and pretty *_*

Well everybody ahs their own opinion, thats why we can only hope maaya keeps releasing lots and lots of stuff, so everybody will like at least 1 or 2 songs from the whole bunch!
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

I don't like Maaya going so high pitched. Also, Dreams in a Pie is from her first album, where it is titled as Koibito no Tsuite (and sung in Japanese of course). It still isn't of songs I'd like to listen for many times. I like more slow paced songs that become great at some point. Most of the songs I like the most are shaped somewhat like this:

- beginning
- the melody starts telling its story
- the melody begins to have interesting features
- an explosion: the song shows its greatness
- back to the melody or otherwise start ending the song
- end

Most of the time I listen to songs on what-they-sound-like basis, I quite often ignore the lyrics. Japanese sounds a lot better to my ear than English. And Maaya has a great voice I love - which I don't like when it is highpitched or made weirder (in songs such as Sanctuary and Inori).

Just telling what I like, I hope you somewhat understand that :)

Btw, for some reason I don't hear Midori no Hane all that often. Wonder if I have it on my playlist... I _should_ have all my Maaya songs there, but now I'm afraid that one is missing...
misssakura

Post by misssakura »

I didn't think dreams in a pie was on her first album, I can only see it on hotch potch, and in the napple tale inlay it says how it was written by yoko kanno with lyrics by chris mosdell which was then later recorded into japanese.....odd. Anyway byt he by, I agree with you on the shaping bit....

What do you think of another grey day? (excluding the pronounciation).....I always thought that was quite pretty and nice lyrics too, although you said you didn't like her singing high...hmm.

Maybe she could do something like cream more often but sing the whole thing..maaya rap! XD
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Hey, sometimes it is nice to poke old topics. I found this from Google when doing a search :D Looks like the end of the topic went offtopic... but the question remains: what should Maaya's next album be like?
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

[quote="Merri"]Dreams in a Pie is from her first album, where it is titled as Koibito no Tsuite (and sung in Japanese of course). [/quote]

"Koibito ni Tsuite" is the Japanese version of the song, "Dreams in a Pie" is the English version. "Dreams in a Pie" is the one featured on the Napple Tale OST. :)
Merri
Posting Freak

Post by Merri »

Humm, I wrote the album wrong when I wrote that message over a year ago: it is of course from Hotchpotch, from the first single collection. Wonder if it was past my bedtime :D