A simple request of translations? Maaya's ID's

Latest news, upcoming events, general Maaya talk.
Megumi

Post by Megumi »

Yeaaaaah Dilly !! XD
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I put up another radio show today...I have an exam tomorrow :cry: please let's hope I absorbed some good Japanese!!
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

dilly, arigatou!!!!

anyway,, as i think it more,, it'll be splendid to have a native japanese do this.. i mean they're just simply rewrite what they heard or read,, it's their own languange, right?? The problem is just that they should have a pretty good knowledge in english and they MUST be a maaya fan, of course. *i'd definitely willing to do all the hard work if i were a japanese* but another problem would have occured,, my english sucks :lol:
just close your eyes and follow your HEART --> vanished to dust T.
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

[quote="harmonium"]No problem. I was just offering in case you and dillpops were unable to. :) I did do a few translations of her posts already (from February, 2007, to the most current entry), though, and was going to post them after I reviewed them a few more times. But if you would prefer to take up the task entirely, it's cool.[/quote]

You can definitely post what you already have, I am not going to monopolize the project. I made a first-draft translation of the Dec '07 entry, but that's all I've done so far, and I don't have any designs on doing everything myself, just doing what others haven't done yet. Please go ahead and post what you have when you're ready!

kirei_lanford, contrary to popular belief, Japanese are not always the best English translators. Simply because they do not have a native command of the English language, and while they may have the best interpretation of the Japanese, they do not know how to phrase it in English the best. I don't like the attitude of "Only Japanese can translate their own language." There are many English speakers who have had intensive Japanese study and spent time in Japan (such as me, dillpops, and perhaps Harmonium) and have had enough practice and experience to make great Japanese-to-English translators/interpreters.

And dillpops, I love this blog, I'm definitely going to link it on my Maaya links page! Oh, and if you want to include the translation I made of the Nov '07 IDS entry, you can.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

I agree with frecklegirl about why the japanese translating to English thing is a tricky thing to comment on. A bit random, but my University has recently made us do lots of english to japanese translations 0_o I don't suppose you have an inkling on why that'd be do you frecklegirl? One of my friends made a guess that it's to make us jump over the literal translation method in order to get the meaning understood...

I don't know but it's bloody hard!!

If it's ok then I'd love to put up the November entry :oops: :oops: you are my translation idol afterall >_<VVVVV
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

[quote="frecklegirl"]I don't like the attitude of "Only Japanese can translate their own language."[/quote]

did i say "only"?? i just thought that the kinda job would be less tiring for them than us foreigners,, especially if they also mastered japanese literacy.. but i do agree that many japanese aren't good in english, but once in awhile you might find one that could also do really well in english,, so, what's the important factor "a good interpretation" or "a good english abilty to express the interpretation"?? i guess both are important,, aren't they :P

Anyway,, i really appreciate what you and dilly and some other guys have done for those blog and lyric translations. of course having a native or foreigner do the stuffs is no different, coz the most important factor is the motivation and joyness in doing that.. and I believe you guys have that *and you did extremely well for that, too* :) i know it's a really hard work. but somehow i also believe u have no regret for having spend so much time for those.. just keep the spirit, guys!! im still really dependant!! shame of me :P

*the only thing that struck me in my head is the fact that only a small fraction of japanese people *compared to the non-japanese* that i have met that really into this.. Or perhaps they only posted their materials in a japan forum only. there's a high possibility for that :lol: .. and really sorry if a japanese person read this get disturbed. believe me,, im not offending anyone. hontouni sumimasen!![/size]

and btw about the blog,, i find it really cute when maaya talks about the roach thing,, and it happened when she's bathing.. bad roach. *i wish i were the roach* :evil: well i don't blame it completely,, having a chance like that is too hard to resist. i mean she's bathing,, :evil: just kidding. :P .. well, i guess maaya is the type of person that really love hearing other stories, get involved with them.. i like her more becoz of that.. and seems she's really care about a song a song's lyric.. good for her. O yea, and I were the person that maaya face at the driving license spot,, myb i wouldn't just have said something as simple as that.. i probably couldn't get a hold of myself.. anyway, i know that kinda behaviour is not pleasent for maaya herself,, but, again,, it's hard when u'r at a position like that..
XD
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

That story is really funny when Maaya tells it, I wish I coulda transcribed it but some of the words were like blahblahblah and when I tried to seperate them to put into my dictionary I couldn't find them or there were many plausible ones that were the same pronounciation :P so even though I got it, I couldnt tell it exactly.

She's cute though ^^
kirei_lanford
Posting Freak

Post by kirei_lanford »

yea, and the manager's room is just next to her,, damn, he got a chance for seeing maaya wearing a * i dunno* a bathrobe?? what do u call that?? or probably just towel!! OMG so lucky him 1000x!! *faints*

*woke up* ehmm.. also the story of her granny did made me sad a bit. it must be hard to focus on ur work when something like that happens. :cry: maaya's a strong chick. and the story of her first flight also nice,, *imagining maaya as a kid, must be ultra zupa cute!!! XD * dilly, when u have a chance try to visit the island where maaya give birth, no no pardon me, i mean born? >^>
Kaimugen
Posting Freak

Post by Kaimugen »

You've got a kinky imagination Kirei.
I didn' t pick up that Maaya was young on that orange juice flight when I first heard the show. Must pay more attention. I can just about get the general idea but usually the details elude me.
If Maaya's grandmother passed away when Loop was released it was before Yuunagi LOOP right? I thought 'Hello" was a song that was for her grandmother? Maybe not.
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Yeah it was for her grandma, at least this entry was written for LOOP which was released pre-Yuunagi LOOP so I guess that it is quite possible Hello was for her grandmother.

The radio show is tricky because it's all speaking and I have to stop and start and go over areas to get everything. And sometimes my ears are just like 'no more!!' :lol:
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Hahah, I loved hearing the roach story again, she told it at the Animefest panel I saw her at (since it had just happened to her that morning) and we all heard it through the interpreter, sooooo funny.

I'm pretty sure she was fully dressed (it says so in the story) when she ran over to her director's/manager's room.

Translation idol XD dillpops, don't be silly, I've still got a long way to go on becoming a translator, I'm sooo behind on being able to read a lot of kanji for example XD So I can only translate online texts, and of course spoken ones are pretty easy too as you know; but with written ones I still have trouble if there's not furigana. (At least my denshi-jisho has a kanji input tool where you can draw in a character you don't know!) So I still can't become a manga translator yet XD I'm getting better! But still behind...

English to Japanese translation... it does seem really weird. We had to do mostly English to French translation in my French translation class, and I couldn't figure out why either, but it actually does improve your grammar and study of the language, so I guess that's why they make you do it, so you can deepen your understanding of how sentences are formed. I would probably kill someone if I had to do it for a Japanese class though, it sounds extremely frustrating >_>
Kaimugen
Posting Freak

Post by Kaimugen »

Japanese to english is way easier than english to japanese. We do a lot of both and changing a english sentence to japanese is like pulling teeth sometimes.
harmonium

Post by harmonium »

[quote="dillpops"]@Harmonium: the more the merrier I say!!! :D [/quote]

[quote="frecklegirl"]You can definitely post what you already have, I am not going to monopolize the project. I made a first-draft translation of the Dec '07 entry, but that's all I've done so far, and I don't have any designs on doing everything myself, just doing what others haven't done yet. Please go ahead and post what you have when you're ready![/quote]

All right. :D I'll be posting what I've done today. I love translating and Maaya, so it'll be fun to contribute a bit.

And dillpops, I love the blog you've set up. :)
dillpops
Posting Freak

Post by dillpops »

Ha, ha, but the speed and accuracy with which you translated!!! I'm so impressed :oops:
frecklegirl

Post by frecklegirl »

Oh dillpops, I had a question for you about your blog. How come you never translate "Chizu to tegami to koi no uta"? I mean, it's really simple. "Maps and Letters and Love Songs." But even in your translations of the radio show, you leave it in Japanese. Just wondering why!