Full Metal Alchemist

Place for non-Maaya topics.
Bazaa

Full Metal Alchemist

Post by Bazaa »

This is my top favorite anime of all the time. Since it's only 11 days to go for the movie to premier in Japan, well, I decided to make a little pub to the anime series here. ^^U
Imagine a world in which Alchemy is not only possible, but used frequently. Alchemy, though, is a science, and with all sciences there are laws that must be followed. Welcome to the anime, Full Metal Alchemist. The story begins about two brothers, Alphonse and Edward Elric. Ever since they were young they had practiced the science of alchemy. You follow their journey of being alchemists and their quest to regain that which they have lost.

Their father was a well recognized alchemist, which is probably where their knack for it comes from. However, when they were young their father left, and they remained in the care of their mother. One day their mother died, and in their innocence and ignorance, they attempted what was forbidden, human alchemy, to revive their mother.

What happened next, they were obviously not prepared for, and in the aftermath the brothers lost more than just their mother. In the freak accident Alphonse loses his body, and in a moment of panic Edward ties his brother's soul to a piece of armor. Edward himself loses an arm and a leg, a costly reminder of what has happend.

The story begins and details the brother's journey to find a alchemy amplifier so that they may return to their normal bodies.
I didn't want much to watch it in the beggining, because it's 52 episodes, and I though "Bah, this must be one of those series that has a million fillers and only fights".
Obviously, I changed my opinion soon after I started watching it. This is one of the most sad stories I've ever heard about. All the 52 episodes are worth of the huge reputation this anime has, being the best in 2003.

Anyway, if you have the chance to watch this one, go for it :neko:
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me
Kem

Post by Kem »

I just started watching Full Metal Alchemist recently, and I really like it! The story is sad, but I like the comic elief moments scattered around in it to keep the story from becoming too depressing.
I like cereal.
Gibb

Post by Gibb »

Fullmetal Alchemist is definately in my top 5 greatest anime of all time list. As you say, the series is incredibly packed with story, no fights that last 3 episodes, no slow sidetracks, no "we've been doing this a while, so skimp on the animation" episodes.

This truly is a masterpiece and I hope every anime fan has the motivation to watch a 51 episode series. I definately cant wait to see the movie!

For fans in the US, the 4th dvd should be out in a couple weeks. Unfortunately that's not even half the series yet, but hopefully FUNimation will pick up the pace and kick it out faster.
Otakuwiki.com: Disgaea 4 (PS3)
Current Avatar: Fuuka from Disgaea 4
neopeius

FMA

Post by neopeius »

FMA jumps the shark after the first season, but good.

On the other hand, me and my daughter make the finest Hughes and Elysia combination you ever did see!
slippy

Post by slippy »

I've been following the DVD releases, currently the 4th volume (or Episode 11-15), and have been really enjoying it. Bits of it actually make me of David Lean's war films, the whole dogs of the military carrying on with it. The irony is especially bitter. Has the most touching, authentic portrayal of brotherly bond I've ever seen in an anime show. And I love the soundtrack, done by the same person who did Hana Yori Dango.
Bazaa

Re: FMA

Post by Bazaa »

[quote="neopeius"]On the other hand, me and my daughter make the finest Hughes and Elysia combination you ever did see![/quote]

Now I imagined you attacking people with photos of your daughter XD
No matter how much the people in this world hurry,
You can still catch me